TDEE question

Options
I found a (possibly) good TDEE calculator here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

My question is this, am I better off figuring calories burned during exercise seperate from my TDEE? In other words, set my activity level to Desk job (which is what I do) and then use my fitness pal to add back my exercise calories?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    All the TDEE calculators in the world are nothing but estimates.

With 10 lbs. to go (congratulations on your loss!), set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient. The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When you use the TDEE method and subtract a percentage off of that, your exercise is already calculated into your daily needs, so you do not log it separately and eat back exercise cals. You can use the MFP app to log exercise as 1 calorie burned so that you can keep track of your workouts, but you don't add any calories back.

If you do, and prefer to do things that way, you would be following MFP's NEAT method, not TDEE. TDEE minus a percentage means you eat the same amount every day, regardless if it's a workout day or a rest day. I hope that makes sense.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    IMO your better off not tracking exercise, the estimates are too far off. id recommend averaging out your daily intake whether you work out or not, that way you take out the error in calorie burn. thats what i do and its worked out well for me
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks all.

I've hit that dreaded plateau...and havent worried about it for several months, and just figured it was time to shake things up a litte and lose those final pesky pounds (running a 1/2 marathon in Sept, and don't want to carry the extra 10 pounds). I haven't had a problem maintaining the lost weight. I'll go with a consistant # of calories per day, workout or not and see how it goes.

Again, thanks!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal, the smaller the margin of error. Meaning you need to log everything you eat & drink even more accurately & even more honestly.
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    All the TDEE calculators in the world are nothing but estimates.

Let's be honest, so is lumping everyone into the same caloric intake every day...just an estimate. So are our estimates on calories burned in exercise..take a best guess.