Any Advice for a Newly Pregnant Woman?

Options
My husband and I have recently found out that we will be expecting a new addition to the family! I am approximately 8 weeks pregnant and teetering on the line between overweight and obese (180 lbs, 5'4.5"). A few weeks before we found out, I had been exercising more heavily (1-2 times a day, 5-6 days a week) and maintaining a 1200 calorie net diet. However, I know I will need to start eating more for the baby to develop, but I was still hoping to possibly better my health over the next 7-8 months. I have been told to tone down the exercise because I had only been doing it for a few weeks, but I have still been trying to walk 3-4 miles everyday. I have heard that overweight and obese women can aim to gain less weight throughout the course of their pregnancy.

If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them. Also, I would love to be friends with any other expecting mothers in the same boat!

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly in a similar boat! I'm way over the obese line at the moment though.

I have set my calories on here to maintain, and I'm trying to fill them with as nutrient dense foods as possible. Lots of lentils/chick peas/wholegrains. I'm limiting the sugar where I can, and making as much from scratch as possible.

I too have heard we can gain less weight - maybe even maintain current weight, but have yet to discuss with the midwife. However just eating good food means I have lost 7lb in the last couple of weeks.

Good luck and congratulations!!
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

There is a pregnancy message board on MFP. It's called, Fit Fabulous and Pregnant!!!
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Make sure you talk to your OB about this subject. For starters, you are NOT eating for two! Maybe 1 1/4, but definitely not two. The doctor told my wife with our first child to eat more and neglected to tell her how much more. She ended up going way overboard and had problems during the pregnancy and afterwards.

Nutrient dense food is what you want and don't forget your supplements!
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Make sure you talk to your OB about this subject. For starters, you are NOT eating for two! Maybe 1 1/4, but definitely not two. The doctor told my wife with our first child to eat more and neglected to tell her how much more. She ended up going way overboard and had problems during the pregnancy and afterwards.

Nutrient dense food is what you want and don't forget your supplements!

Correct, there is no eating for two. For most women, it is only advised to eat an additional 300 calories. This really is just an additional snack or two. It's ok to give into cravings, but in moderation. I am 5'5" and slightly overweight for my height (150lbs) so I have been aiming to keep my gains on the lower end. I would recommend downloading one of the pregnancy apps, like Pregnancy Companion. It's good for a number of things but I like it because I can track my weight and it puts it on a graph of my recommended gains vs. where I'm at. Also, as you mentioned walking is good. Even light stationary biking, the elliptical, or stair master but wear a heart rate monitor to make sure you aren't overdoing it. I intended to maintain my workout routine but the reality of pregnancy hit....epic morning sickness and fatigue, so now I just do what I can when I'm feeling good ;) So far I've done pretty good, I'm back up to 148lbs at 18 weeks and gaining after having lost some weight due to morning sickness :/ Good luck!
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I gained a LOT of weight with my first child (38 pounds) and was determined not to go the same route with my second. I joined BabyFit (is it taboo to mention such a thiing on MFP? This was before I had even heard of MFP) and managed to gain less than 15 pounds over the course of that second pregnancy. Talk with your midwife / OB and ask what she thinks your goals should be. I found that by tracking my food (and my macros and nutrients) I held myself accountable for my health and that of my baby. (for instance: I would eat whole PANS of krispie treats during my first pregnancy; in my second, I became aware of just how many calories were in an Entennman's donut and this helped me to keep from eating 3 or 4 at a time...oh, how I love my sweet, cakey treats!). My midwife recommended that I up my protein intake and limit refined carbs, but yours may have advice that is better for you.
    Congratulations and lots of luck to you in your journey.
  • br0906
    br0906 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am 9 weeks pregnant. Just reached my goal weight when we found out the good news, so my goal is to gain what I need to inorder to keep baby and myself healthy, but not go overboard. I changed my settings to maintain, but have not been stressing out if I happen to go over a bit to satisfy a craving or settle an upset stomach. I try to keep my meals as healthy and filling as I can. I do quite a bit of walking and will try to maintain that. Good luck!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't let your mind play games with you. Controlling your weight during pregnancy is just like controlling your weight not pregnant. You don't indulge in every craving when you're not pregnant, so don't do it when you're pregnant. Go to your OB and ask what is an appropriate weight gain for you, and try to stick to it.

I also wouldn't talk to much about weight gain to the rest of the world. I've never felt before like anyone was trying to sabotage me or my food choices until I was pregnant. I can't even tell you the number of times I've heard "but you're pregnant! You're supposed to gain weight!". I just eat what I eat and don't talk about it. It seems to mostly come from women who are struggling with their weigh themselves or gained way too much during pregnancy.

I get HUGE sweet tooth cravings when I'm pregnant. These are mostly managed with fruit, fresh fruit juice (as in the kind I make myself with no added sugar), and drinking lots and lots of water. I make my own soda by doing fruit infused sparkling water. Every few days I do a low cal meal, some brothy soup and a smoothie, so lots of fruits and veggies but low in calories.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant, borderline overweight, and have gained 17lbs. I've been on limited physical activity for the past few months, so even if you can't do a lot of exercise YOU CAN DO THIS.