carb counting

nuttmama
nuttmama Posts: 9
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
i am super suprised that there are 31 carbs in bananas! wow

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    But they're good for you, I mean look at it this way, at least you're not eating 31 grams of carbs from Oreos!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    fruits are generally relatively high in carbohydrates as they usually are packed with natural sugar. This isn't usually a bad thing as they also are usually high in fiber, which regulates how fast those carbs are broken down somewhat (I.E. it's far different and better to eat a banana with 31 grams of carbs than to eat some white bread with 31 grams of carbs, even if the bread has been "enriched" with fiber, it's not the same).
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Remember that fiber is a carb. Since fiber is a carbohydrate which "passes through" the gastrointestinal tract, it is subtracted from the total carbohydrate count. Read that online. ;)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    fruits are generally relatively high in carbohydrates as they usually are packed with natural sugar. This isn't usually a bad thing as they also are usually high in fiber, which regulates how fast those carbs are broken down somewhat (I.E. it's far different and better to eat a banana with 31 grams of carbs than to eat some white bread with 31 grams of carbs, even if the bread has been "enriched" with fiber, it's not the same).

^^^What he said.

I don't ever even consider counting carbs in fruits or veggies. I get my 2-3 servings a day and that is that. A healthy diet enriched with fruits and veggies and lean proteins is much healthier in the long run than a low carb "diet".
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Remember that fiber is a carb. Since fiber is a carbohydrate which "passes through" the gastrointestinal tract, it is subtracted from the total carbohydrate count. Read that online. ;)

true, but be careful with this when talking about simple sugars (fruit sugar et all) as fiber is not a sugar, it's a complex starch. So don't subtract the amount of fiber in a fruit from the amount of sugar, they aren't the same.

Also be wary, in order to make their food sound nutritionally better for you, some products deduct the amount of fiber calories from the total calories in foods, this is fine (as fiber is not an energy source for humans), as long as you recognize this. For example, this can really screw up your weight watchers points as fiber is a factor in how many points you are eating.
  • Nobody got ever fat eating fruits only so have a banana and dont worry about the whole carb thing.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Apples are actually higher. There are 50 grams of carbs in one small apple! But if your body can tolerate them, they're actually a good food item to reduce belly fat.
  • They are high in COMPLEX carbs, meaning you will feel full longer. Unlike cakes, cookies, etc which are high in SIMPLE carbs, meaning you will want to eat again sooner.
This discussion has been closed.