ankle hurt - options ?

Options
so I can't run for a while....I am trying to lose weight - I'm going strict w/ the diet, and I'm researching full body strength training sessions... is that my best bet? anyone have experiences losing weight w/o cardio?

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was just in your boat, sprained my ankle doing a back flip 3 weeks ago. I still managed to loose more than 10 lb's over the past 3 weeks since I sprained it. Your focus is going to be on your diet, at least until you can walk on it without pain although you might still have a limp. During my 2nd week after the sprain I started incorporating upper body exercises. It put a little stress on my ankle just standing in the same position, but I just made sure to ice it after my workouts. I would try to be just a little more active each day. First try walking down the block and back. Then two days later try going 2 blocks and so on. During my 3rd week I kept doing my upper body workouts and did a 3 mile walk, followed by a 5 mile walk and yesterday I did a 4 mile walk with a 1 mile run at the end.

Make sure you continue to ice it after any activity as that's when it will become inflamed again. It may also help to wrap it/ tape it while exercising.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I do no regular weekly cardio.

Lift and eat at a slight deficit to cut.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do very little cardio since I have plantar fasciitis. I would suggest mostly lifting as well.. you could do some full body or even incorporate some anaerobic exercise if you want a cardio effect.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar situation - ankle surgery back in February, non weight bearing for a month, gradually building back up the workouts but still just barely able to "run" (it's more like a limp/shuffle at the moment). So first, technically speaking, the key to weight loss is a calorie deficit, which you can achieve through diet alone. Exercise makes it easier, but technically not necessary. I say technically, because I have almost never been able to lose weight without running. For me running controls stress levels, and eliminates stress eating. Immediately after my surgery I actually lost a couple of pounds. Then I went back to work. Couldn't run, couldn't work out, was miserable and stressed - gained a few more pounds.

Once I was able to I first started with just upper body lifting. In fact the very day I got my walking boot, I was in the gym with a trainer to figure out what I could do while on the boot and crutches. Then gradually was able to add in some of the machines for legs - not ideal, but better than nothing. Then I was able to start swimming, and the stationary bike with no resistance. Then gradually added in resistance on the bike, then outside biking. Finally about a month ago, back to full body lifting (though I don't quite have full range of motion for squats), and starting to run/jog/shuffle for a few minutes at a time.

Definitely lift if you can, even if only upper body for now. I would suggest if you are able to incorporate some form of cardio to help maintain your fitness level for running - swim, stationary bike, possibly elliptical.
  • Jarrod4275
    Jarrod4275 Posts: 37
    Options
    I was in a walking boot for 3 weeks from a hurt tendon in my ankle but I was able to ride stationary bike and swim. If all else fails SWIM! Best exercise you can do really. I try and swim at least once a week for a 1/2 mile. Only takes about 30-45 minutes. Maybe longer if you don't know how to swim :)
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You can swim, stationary bike, eliptical with a good ankle brace and a tape job.