Carb cycling

Options
Hi All! I know, I know, this topic has probably been covered a thousand times, but most of the posts I found on the subject are older than me, so I thought I would start a new thread :)

Is anyone else here doing this? I am currently on the turbo cycle where I eat low carb Monday, Tuesday,Thursday, and Friday and high carb on Wednesday and Saturday with my reward day on Sunday. So far it's been pretty easy to maintain, but I haven't started incorporating the exercise yet.

Anyone else that is on this have a good workout plan you follow? I have the book and get the 9 minute sessions, plus the shapers and shredders but I am used to intense cardio and heavy lifting. This workout regimen is just too slow and not very intense. Also, he says to do your cardio on the LC days, and weight training on the HC days, do you follow this to the T or do you have your own plan of action?

Replies

• Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Not to be a jerk but I think carb cycling is the dumbest diet idea ever.

High Protein30/35% high fat (almonds/ extra virgin olive il, flax seeds) 30/35% - low carb(oatmeal/potato) 10-25%

do HIIT

do circuit training strength training - try to make it like a HIIT session.

Protein protein protein

carb cycling - eh ewww. - no offense.
  • slogan63
    slogan63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiff1124,

I have just started playing with this but have not had a chance to gauge results.
  • cmwhite29
    cmwhite29 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. Ten yrs of experiments, two of which I've maintained, am the strongest I've ever been, and love it!
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. Ten yrs of experiments, two of which I've maintained, am the strongest I've ever been, and love it!

^with who?

Carb Cycling or High Fat High Protein?
  • Tiff1124
    Options

High Protein30/35% high fat (almonds/ extra virgin olive il, flax seeds) 30/35% - low carb(oatmeal/potato) 10-25%

do HIIT

Protein protein protein

Haha none taken. To each their own. I have had good luck with it so far, but I have a long way to go. Was just interested in seeing if anyone else was on this train with me.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiff1124,

I have just started playing with this but have not had a chance to gauge results.

Me too!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

do HIIT

Protein protein protein

Haha none taken. To each their own. I have had good luck with it so far, but I have a long way to go. Was just interested in seeing if anyone else was on this train with me.

well GL :flowerforyou: because you will most likely see results simply from being on a caloric deficit, but IMHO the opportunity cost from the gains you'd get on a high fat high protein diet is much more advisable. :drinker:
  • Tiff1124
    Options

do HIIT

Protein protein protein

well GL :flowerforyou: because you will most likely see results simply from being on a caloric deficit, but IMHO the opportunity cost from the gains you'd get on a high fat high protein diet is much more advisable. :drinker:

Thanks! :D I don't have a whole lot to lose, about 30 ish pounds or so, and I'm in no rush, so we will see what happens. I do get plenty of protein, fats scare me a bit but I only eat healthy fat with the exception of cheese..my vice. I appreciate the feedback though!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

do HIIT

Protein protein protein

Thanks! :D I don't have a whole lot to lose, about 30 ish pounds or so, and I'm in no rush, so we will see what happens. I do get plenty of protein, fats scare me a bit but I only eat healthy fat with the exception of cheese..my vice. I appreciate the feedback though!

smh... yeah I consume zero cheese.

and it took me awhile to embrace the high fat diet - I had to curve my thinking as well.

^but it works - and if you are running and doing cardio like HIIT - then you are burning through fat and not burning through carbs

I mean as I said GL and I sincerely mean it - but I am absolutely the biggest carb hater ever - leads to diabetes and carbs are just glue to the belly. get you constipated, mess with regular bowl movements, decreases libido, not good for skin, nails, and hair.

High fat high protein - you always feel full you will be happier and you will get all of that ^ sorted out.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Many body builders do it when they are prepping for competition if that says anything. I tried to eat low-carb but it's too hard to cut out fruit and many vegetables for me. Maybe I don't have the discipline to eat a low-carb diet but I feel more at peace with myself when I can enjoy a larger variety of foods.

I do admire people like you, Mr. Tolerable, who are able to be very strict with diet and not have any emotional hang ups about it.
  • Tiff1124
    Options

do HIIT

Protein protein protein

and it took me awhile to embrace the high fat diet - I had to curve my thinking as well.

^but it works - and if you are running and doing cardio like HIIT - then you are burning through fat and not burning through carbs

I mean as I said GL and I sincerely mean it - but I am absolutely the biggest carb hater ever - leads to diabetes and carbs are just glue to the belly. get you constipated, mess with regular bowl movements, decreases libido, not good for skin, nails, and hair.

High fat high protein - you always feel full you will be happier and you will get all of that ^ sorted out.

It's pretty amazing that you can stick with it, so I definitely commend you on that. I have to be honest with myself though, there is no way I could obtain that type of diet. Seems so restrictive, and no carbs means no fruit and no way could I live without that.

Like I said before, to each their own. It obviously is working for you, so keep it up! :-)
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Hi All! I know, I know, this topic has probably been covered a thousand times, but most of the posts I found on the subject are older than me, so I thought I would start a new thread :)

Is anyone else here doing this? I am currently on the turbo cycle where I eat low carb Monday, Tuesday,Thursday, and Friday and high carb on Wednesday and Saturday with my reward day on Sunday. So far it's been pretty easy to maintain, but I haven't started incorporating the exercise yet.

Anyone else that is on this have a good workout plan you follow? I have the book and get the 9 minute sessions, plus the shapers and shredders but I am used to intense cardio and heavy lifting. This workout regimen is just too slow and not very intense. Also, he says to do your cardio on the LC days, and weight training on the HC days, do you follow this to the T or do you have your own plan of action?

I guess you could say that I carb cycle, but not like that.

For me a carb cycle up or down is 4 to 8 weeks. Pending on what I am trying to accomplish. More power and put on some more size, I up my pre workout carbs. When I get where I want, or lighten up on lifting, carbs down.

The only time I have ever remotely cycled carbs like your are doing is, when I played football. I always carb`d up the day before and morning of the game.

Its`s kind of like eating a snickers bar a little bit before sex. :laugh:
  • MrTolerable
    Options

do HIIT

Protein protein protein

It's pretty amazing that you can stick with it, so I definitely commend you on that. I have to be honest with myself though, there is no way I could obtain that type of diet. Seems so restrictive, and no carbs means no fruit and no way could I live without that.

Like I said before, to each their own. It obviously is working for you, so keep it up! :-)

^fruit and veggies can still be consumed!

I eat a banana and apple at least 2x a day each. -same with veggies. You would be surprised how much veggies and fruit you can eat when you are getting them for all your carbs - not counting pizza, and other ridiculous foods.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Yes, I did notice that with the carb cycling, I don't seem to be getting many calories in, since veggies are so low in them. Oh well, keep on keeping on. I am going to at least give this a good few weeks.