Burning 4000 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    NO -- You would have to be extremely active to burn that many calories. You cannot depend on the HRM to give accuracy. Get a fitbit or something like that if you want a close t accurate reading.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Only one dude I know can burn 4000 calories a day, and that's when he's really angry
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The caloric estimates from HRMs are only accurate for a limited number of steady state cardio activities. It bases your burn on a formula that depends on you telling it several things including what your activity is ... such as running or cycling. They are useless for calculating all day burns or burns from yoga, pilates, weight lifting and are marginal at best for intervals.

Absolutely correct. When doing weightlifting it isn't uncommon for my heart rate to reach it's peak as I push myself hard. But you must keep in mind that I am only working a few muscles in my body. When a single muscle in your body is depleted of energy it sends a signal to your brain that tells it that it needs more energy and thus it raises your heart rate to compensate. Your heart rate may be at 160 while doing curls but only a few lbs of muscle are depleted of energy. On the other hand when the same thing happens during a cardiovascular workout your entire body is involved and thus more energy is being used even though you are maintaining the same exact heart rate.