What kind of weights?

Options
I have a small bedroom in my house that I have turned into my workout room. I have an elliptical and we just bought a nice treadmill. (Then I read that thread about people not liking cardio. Who knew!! :noway: )

Anyway, I'm going to do my cardio because it's good for me and lets me eat more food. But I do want and believe in lifting, but I'm quite ignorant on the subject. My question is what kind of weights do I get for this small room and what do I do with them? I have a pair of 3 lb and 8lb dumbells and that is it.

Advice or a link to get me started would be awesome!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• NHitchner2
    NHitchner2 Posts: 31
    Options
    There is a Kettlebell workout program that is a quick routine, I can't remember the programs name. A friend of mine does that an enjoys it. Only need a few weights/kettlebells so its cheaper.

I personally am doing the P90x Series, which you only need a few things the most expensive being the weights. Or if you want you can do most of the workouts with the stretch band thingys. You will need a pullup bar, and either weights or the bands, so a bit more expensive.

That or if you have a decent amount of money Bobybuilding.com has multiple home gyms that are compact and small with just about everything you need in them. The Most expensive and should last the longest of any of these.

Though I am sure there are people on this website that know alot more than me.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If space is limited, get an adjustable set of dumbbells.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Other than the 3 and 8 lb dumbbells, what additional ones do I need? I'm thinking 12 lbs might be a good idea. I do have several elastic bands as well. Space is limited but I have a 5 x 8 area rug between the machines that I can utilize.

I think it's the lower body workouts that have me most confused and that is why I like the cardio. I have an old groin pull injury from when I was stupid and used one of those thigh machines at the gym I used to go to. I even had to go to physical therapy and to this day have to be careful or I will re-injure it. So doing lots of squats is ify.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Get the adjustable dumbbells, that way you can add weight every workout or every week. For lower body you can use them for goblet squats, weighted lunges etc.

The resistance bands are great - maybe get a pull up bar for your doorframe and you can use the bands for assistance. You can use them for hip abduction too. I've fashioned mine under my bench before to create a leg extension. There is an exercise called x band walk in 'strong curves', in fact buy 'strong curves' it's a great read :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'd get an adjustable DB set that goes from 5 lbs. up to 20 lbs. each hand. You may actually outgrow those eventually, believe it or not.

For resistance bands, door-mountable models are the best, like Bodylastics or GoFit.

Look into "New Rules of Lifting for Life". Great program for folks in your age range.

As for the groin pull, might want to avoid wide stance squats. Narrow stance squats are less likely to bother it.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    kettle bells are great ( I like the Bob Harper Kettle bell dvd it sells at walmart for 10.00 ). I personally lift HEAVY 5X5 set up at the gym but if my kids have something and I have to miss getting to the gym I grab the kettle bells since I am also limited on space at home.

agree with the others get adjustable DB`s , and also read the new rules of lifting for women great book
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm training at home, and I'm doing a lot of DVD workouts, circuit training with weights, and of course kettlebell swings. For me personally, it's been more convenient to have all different sizes of dumbbells and kettlebells, which I bought over time when they were on sale. I see how some people like the adjustable kind, but as I'm doing HIIT with weights, depending on the kind of exercise, I like to be able to just grab a different weight and keep going. Switching out plates takes too long.
    A nice thing I have is a pullup bar for the door. I think, it was around $20 at Walmart.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I will look into the different books mentioned. I like the idea of separate weights that I can just grab and used. I picked up kettle balls at the store the other day and like the way they feel. I might give those a try. Thanks again!! :smile:
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells! Yes! They have adjustable kettlebells as well.