Seven days -- 9.5 pounds lost

Options
calbadger
calbadger Posts: 283 Member
Re-started Atkin's for real. Strict induction (>20 carbs/day), reduced caffeine, no alcohol, moderate exercise.

Have had plenty of energy, haven't been hungry except before meals and am down 9.5 pounds.

I know this works. Why do I pretend otherwise? ... Well beside pasta? Still there will be time for that later, when I get closer to my goal. :)

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    in.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just be careful donyellemoniq. The Atkins diet was originally meant for people with hyperactive disorders.
    If you are not naturally hyper in nature, it could lead to depression.:frown:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    it's only been seven days, any ill effects may not be apparent yet..
  • calbadger
    Options
    Sorry. I was just posting a success story, not started a debate.

That being said, what ill-effects? Low-carb diets are more effective than Mediterranean or low-cal diets, though people stay on the Med diet more successfully. I will eventually shift to that when I get closer to my goal.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=5389423&page=1

This is just a news story, and as a former science major AND news editor, I will be the first to admit that science writers often know neither. I can get you Med Journal abstracts if you prefer (can't share more -- copyright an all that).

Oh well, I shouldn't be surprised, I know that there are still people that argue that eggs are evil, a low-salt diet is healthy, or that a tool developed based upon evidence gathered from the post-1848 starving of France (BMI) has a legitimate bearing upon body health today.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I have been on a low carb diet but cannot give up my 2 cups of coffee a day. Who the heck would with 2 tablespoons of whipping cream lol. I have been watching my calories for years and this is the 1st time I have actually seen the scale move down. Great job!!!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Just be careful donyellemoniq. The Atkins diet was originally meant for people with hyperactive disorders.
    If you are not naturally hyper in nature, it could lead to depression.:frown:

I have ADHD :)
  • calbadger
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I have been on a low carb diet but cannot give up my 2 cups of coffee a day. Who the heck would with 2 tablespoons of whipping cream lol. I have been watching my calories for years and this is the 1st time I have actually seen the scale move down. Great job!!!!

Thanks. I agree. Coffee wasn't a problem for me, but diet coke was. I also learned recently to watch when you drink diet drinks. You body isn't sophisticated enough to distinguish between real sugars and artificial ones. When it senses sweetness, your insulin spikes. If you have it when you are eating, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if you have a diet drink without food, your appetite will increase. I can post the research on this as well, if anyone wants it.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Your eating plan is working like a charm. :) And your consistency is what makes it work. Way to go!
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Re-started Atkin's for real. Strict induction (>20 carbs/day), reduced caffeine, no alcohol, moderate exercise.

Have had plenty of energy, haven't been hungry except before meals and am down 9.5 pounds.

I know this works. Why do I pretend otherwise? ... Well beside pasta? Still there will be time for that later, when I get closer to my goal. :)

So you had a >3500 calorie deficit each day?

90% of that is water and glycogen. Don't get discouraged when the weight loss slows down.
  • gary241069
    Options
    dt.
  • gary241069
    Options
    donyellemoniq. A more advanced version of the Atkins diet is known as Ketogenic Diet.
    If you have ADHD, then the Ketogenic Diet may be perfect for you.
    Seek medical advice before trying the Ketogenic diet.
  • horsebeauti
    horsebeauti Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    =) I say way to go! Loooong time ago I did this exact same thing. I lost 54 lbs, I felt fantastic, my labs all improved, and I overall felt better about myself and was able to really feel good about my body. While I was eating low carb it was also fairly low in calories with as active as I was. About 1500 a day. What got me was going through a fairly hard emotional turn a few years back, and eating EVERYTHING I got my hands on. As in probably 3000+ a day. So over the course of a few years it came back. With friends. This can happen with any "diet". Trying to not let my emotions rule my food.
  • calbadger
    Options

So you had a >3500 calorie deficit each day?

90% of that is water and glycogen. Don't get discouraged when the weight loss slows down.

Of course not, Calories is the wrong metric. On a low-carb diet, the low refers to the the carbs taken in, not consumed. Body fat is essentially stored carbs. When you eat more carbs than you can process, your body saves them for the future. Low-carb diets encourage your body to use these reserves.

And they are more successful, both on a weight-loss and health basis.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/790178

Think of it also this way, carbs are rather simple molecules, whether they be synthetic or "natural." They are easy to process, which is why they are a good energy source, since they can be rapidly reduced by stomach enzymes to a small enough size to pass through the stomach lining. That's what gives us the sugar rush right away, whether it be a candy bar, potato chip or an apple. Proteins and fats are far more complex molecules. They can take hours to digest, and you don't get the same sugar high and insulin spike, so you don't get as hungry.

In terms of water loss, since I usually drink between 16-20 cups of water a day, I doubt it. Would you care to share a source from a peer-reviewed journal, or at least a direct citation thereof? I have been down this course before (I gained weight due to the loss of a number of close family members in the past few years -- cooking was comfort), and it is hard for the weight to return.

And what's with all the thread crashing, this was supposed to be a success story, not a debate? I don't crash low-cal threads to hear people whine about eating nothing but low-fat (i.e. higher sugar) yogurt and not losing weight. What is it with your lives that you need to try to crush my initial success?

For those congratulations, I thank you. Continuing to get back down to my target weight. I appreciate it.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whatever way you do it, as long as you are feeling healthy and good, then good job to you. I lost 9.9 lbs in my first week on MFP just by monitoring my calorie intake and moderate exercise (mostly walking). When/If you start feeling sluggish or crappy, then you should really reconsider how your diet is making you feel and make adjustments. I can tell you so far that the calorie approach is working for me.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Way to go, I like success stories, They are motivating! I'm unconcerned about which diet people are using.
  • calbadger
    Options
    Whatever way you do it, as long as you are feeling healthy and good, then good job to you. I lost 9.9 lbs in my first week on MFP just by monitoring my calorie intake and moderate exercise (mostly walking). When/If you start feeling sluggish or crappy, then you should really reconsider how your diet is making you feel and make adjustments. I can tell you so far that the calorie approach is working for me.

Thanks for the post. And good for you. Keep going and good luck.
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD with probably a touch of aspergers. (haven't had the Asperger confirmed).

And my doctor put me on the Keto diet, and it has worked wonders. I lost about 10 lbs the first week. After that, I have been losing 1 to 1.5 lbs a week.

So whoohoo...good luck girl, and I'll add you to my friends list.
  • gary241069
    Options
    I have ADHD with probably a touch of aspergers. (haven't had the Asperger confirmed).

And my doctor put me on the Keto diet, and it has worked wonders. I lost about 10 lbs the first week. After that, I have been losing 1 to 1.5 lbs a week.

So whoohoo...good luck girl, and I'll add you to my friends list.

Who is whoohoo?
    Not quite sure who this is directed at??
  • karinaxoxokarina
    karinaxoxokarina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i lost the same amount of weight in 7 days except i just consumed 600-900 calories a day
  • calbadger
    Options
    i lost the same amount of weight in 7 days except i just consumed 600-900 calories a day

Between 1500-2700/day. One caveat, I am 6'4".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!