Gastric bypass info needed

Options
Getting ready for gp surgery and looking for any helpful info ... What's your story?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    dbc.gif
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Why not just lose the weight without surgery?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    Options
    Why not just lose the weight without surgery?

0uDftR8.gif
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I opted to NOT have GP it's a personal choice we all make. I've had my own stories of friends who didn't fair well from surgery and another who faired well but has stomach problems...I don't want to scare you because NOT every story is bad...
  • jomamacita7
    jomamacita7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go to the Gastric ByPass/VSG/LapBand group forum. They're very understanding and supportive and you'll get lots of accurate, up to date information! I'm getting gastric bypass as well, hopefully in 1-2 months.
  • joaneebabee_123
    joaneebabee_123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here is another web site that is quite helpful for bypass patients.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/
  • Rescuesu63
    Options
    Thank you, I will. :smile:
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Please do not consider surgery unless absolutely necessary, unless all else fails. Your body doesn't need to be mutilated in order to get healthy. It is programmed to survive and adapt; your body is amazing. Think very carefully before going through with it. There are a lot of risks, it will affect food and medicine intake and won't help to teach you the healthy haits you need for long term change. Besides, you have an entire support network right here of people who want to see you succeed at meeting your goals.

Ultimately, it's your body and choice. If you really want the surgery, more power to you. I urge you to do a thorough cost/benefit analysis of all risks with someone close to you.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need it I say go for it. I have friends who did well with it and friends who didn't. In the end it boils down to changing your lifestyle. Either way I wish you luck!
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have weighed the pros and cons of gastric bypass surgery before posting your questions. Also, you probably have already made a decision to have the surgery. I pray you have an uneventful procedure. Just remember it's not a quick fix. Like other posts have said, "it's about changing your lifestyle." All the best to you.
  • PJ2006
    PJ2006 Posts: 3
    Options
    I know where you are at. I considered GP surgery April of this year. I went to the appointments and started to get all of the things done to do it, but I backed out. Honestly I feel like GP is the VERY last resort!! You can do it!! And i know this is your own personal choice but I just want to let you know that your percentage for long term success is only 5% No matter what you decide to do you need to learn to eat right, you need to learn how to exercise and you need to fully understand yourself and your relationship with food. Surgery is not going to fix those problems. It is not a miracle cure and you will have to work your butt off for long term success. With that being said, I wish you the best no matter what you choose to do! It is never easy and it can be very frustrating!
  • Christina_722
    Christina_722 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the posters in this thread. Most people on this site aren't understanding about WLS. It is something that you should look elsewhere to get info. There are forums on a site called Bariatricpal.com

I suggest you don't post anything to the regular forums about this topic as you will only be judged for your decision. Its a personal decision you are making to better your life and you shouldn't be judged for it. This is something a lot of people don't really understand about WLS. We HAVE tried to lose weight the "regular/normal" way. It comes off, it goes back on. It doesn't come off at all. It could be a disorder like a lot of women who have PCOS.

For me, I decided to do the VSG. It was an easy decision for me and I am 6 weeks post op today! I am down 48 lbs! It is a tool to use to help. I still exercise and make good choices about what I eat. I just can't eat a lot.

Don't let anyone deter you from your goal. Do what you have to do in order to be healthy and happy.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    Options
    Don't listen to the posters in this thread

They asked a question, on a PUBLIC forum.

contempt.gif
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the posters in this thread. Most people on this site aren't understanding about WLS. It is something that you should look elsewhere to get info. There are forums on a site called Bariatricpal.com

I suggest you don't post anything to the regular forums about this topic as you will only be judged for your decision. Its a personal decision you are making to better your life and you shouldn't be judged for it. This is something a lot of people don't really understand about WLS. We HAVE tried to lose weight the "regular/normal" way. It comes off, it goes back on. It doesn't come off at all. It could be a disorder like a lot of women who have PCOS.

For me, I decided to do the VSG. It was an easy decision for me and I am 6 weeks post op today! I am down 48 lbs! It is a tool to use to help. I still exercise and make good choices about what I eat. I just can't eat a lot.

Don't let anyone deter you from your goal. Do what you have to do in order to be healthy and happy.

Well, YOU posted so she shouldn't listen to you either, right?
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I know four people who had this procedure done. One lost a lot of weight but must have had other issues, because she became addicted to drugs, lost her children, and was homeless for a while. She never got her children back, I do not know how she is doing now. Her father also got the procedure done and he died in the hospital of complications. I have two friends who both had it done recently with good results. The only complications they have experienced is having to take handfuls of vitamins daily due to the vitamin and mineral absorption issues. My friend complains the vitamins are expensive. I think we all have to travel our own journey. I hope you have the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • Rescuesu63
    Options
    I appreciate all the advise, thank you. For those that judge me, you should know, I am unable to lose weight and will die with out the surgery. So, it is the right choice for me. I appreciate the supportive posts very much! I will check out the sites mentioned. Its all good....aside from the condesending facial gifs. No need to be so mean spirited.
  • kymcakes67
    Options
    Hi...I'm going to have a Gastric Sleeve within the next couple of months. Best of luck in your WL journey. It's exciting, isn't it?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the posters in this thread

They asked a question, on a PUBLIC forum.

contempt.gif

I agree.

Also, it is difficult not to say anything when you have stood by and watched clients (at my previous job) become permanently disabled due to botched weight loss surgeries...dozens of them. Or a former mother in law who went from 400 to 270 and then right back to 420 in a couple of years when she was able to eat regular food again.

Especially when some of us have lost 45% or more of our heaviest body weight with simple diet and exercise.

But yeah I won't comment... ;-)
  • Rescuesu63
    Options
    It really is!! I cant wait to be healthy!
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It can and should be done without surgery!! You'll still have to change your eating habits significantly pre and post surgery, so why not just change your eating habits now, and watch the weight fall off without surgery.

Best of luck to you though. It will be a tough road ahead of you.