Heart Rate Zone - WTHeck?

Options
Ok people, tell me everything you know about target heart rate and training in the zone. I have a heart rate monitor that I got as a gift, but I'm a little discouraged from using it because it does not tell me calories burned! Has anyone found an accurate tool to convert your average heart rate during an exercise session to calories burned??

Also, how am I supposed to know what my heart rate should be? When I went to the gym last night I used the heart rate monitor on the elliptical (which I'm guessing probably isn't that accurate). At the end of my 35 minute workout the machine said my average heart rate was 145bpm. Is this good, bad, indifferent???? GIve me your feedback and ways to accurately track calories burned.

Thanks for all of your input, it is valued!

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 6.5" tall and 125 lbs. These are my results from my heart rate monitor that does tell me the calories I burn. In Zone 59:36/1:00:27, Avg. HR 147, Max HR 156 . My heart rate zone is 119 - 153. My average of 147 was because I was doing a cardio intensive workout. When I am doing a fat burning one instead, my average heart rate is around 127. Your max heart rate is 220 - your age. There are plenty of formulas on the web.

Could you exchange the monitor and pay the difference to upgrade it? Just a thought.

P.S. I was doing 1 hour on the Elliptical machine.

Oh, and the calories burned are based on your average heart rate and your weight. Someone weighing more will burn more, someone weighing less will burn less, even if they have the same average heart rate.