Options
What are the foods that contain the most fiber ? I m so backed up :explode:
I think its because i quit smoking :smokin:
Thanks

Replies

• briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    ever since I started this diet, I've been more backed up, too. I definitely need to be getting more fiber...ugh!
  • Krimicri
    Options
    I would recommend the tasteless Benefiber.. Wal-mart has an Equate version that costs way less and is totally tasteless, you can put it in anything.

As for being stopped up, try a serving of Milk of Magnesia, it'll get you moving lickety split!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't do supplements, there are plenty of foods that have enough fiber. Nuts, whole grains (say whole wheat bread, oatmeal, etc.), fruits, veggies. Check my diary. The last couple days I've been almost hitting my fiber goal - get some ideas if you want! Also, until you can get those things into your diet more, you could try FiberOne products. Their muffins are good, so are their granola bars, but beware, they have high fructose corn syrup in them - which we all know is dangerous!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    BEANS(LEGUMES/BLACK BEANS)! 1/2 CUP CAN GIVE YOU UP TO 6-7 FIBER

I ALSO ADD FLAXSEED MEAL TO MY FOOD,
    (OATMEAL/RICE AND THE LIKE)

OATMEAL - 1 CUP / 4 GRAMS

ADVOCADA - 1 MED/ 11 FIBER

RASPBERRIES/BLUE BERRIES - 1 CUP - 8 FIBER

BROCCOLI - 1 CUP/ 6 GRAMS
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars and apples do it for me
  • autumnbaby1234
    autumnbaby1234 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you may need more water and or more oil as well
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    i drink lots of water, i add flax seeds to my peanut butter, i eat kashi tlc chewy granola bars, i eat fiber one cereal, i eat lots and lots of veggies. I'm pretty regular now, but at first i was a little stopped up too for a while. I think the body just needs to adjust to the new kinds of food it's getting. don't get discouraged!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    lots of water!!! apples and pears always work for me.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Look for multigrain or whole grain foods. Also veggies and fruits. Unfortunately I have upped both my fiber and the water that it needs to work properly and yet I've been having the same trouble. I have been chewing Fiber chews daily and still having trouble. I've just added benefiber to my diet and hope it's enough. If you get any other suggestions I'd love to know...
    Exercise is also supposed to help. But for some reason not for me.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I agree with the high water consumption!!! Check out my diary...I'm always getting way more than recommended.

My fave:

Fiber One Cereal (1/2 c original = a TON of fiber and only 60 cals!) I usually eat with my morning yogurt! :)
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars also do it for me. Triscuits too. ;)
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    benefiber and lots of water
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am always struggling here as well. Does anyone recommend a good safe supplement that's okay to take every day? I've herd psyllium husk fiber is the best natural choice but I've seen it online only in a powder. I'd rather take a capsule. Suggestions please!

Edited to say-- fiber one bars and activia make me feel sick! Thats why I'm looking for an alternative
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    I use the benefibre everyday! I eat a lot of foods that have fibre but still get backed up unless I use the supplement and tons of water! I usually mix some in with Fruit and yogurt!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have High Fiber Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal every morning. It's only 160 calories and has 10 grams of fiber. I also like the Fiber One bars. They have 140 calories and 9 grams of fiber.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit and veg and still don't get enough fiber from my diet. I supplement it with a serving of fiber one and 1/2 cup almond milk (80 calories) and by using a hig-fiber english muffin in my breakfast sandwich.

Here's to regularity!

Charmagne
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I found that when my diet lost the crazy amounts of fat that I was eating, this definately became a problem. I still drink coffee though, the caffine helps. Fiber Choice chewable tablets are not too bad in Strawberry as well, if you don't want to do caffine.
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    I avoid fiber supplements. They don't help me. Raisin Bran 7 , Crunchy Corn Bran 5 for 3/4 cup , Blackberries 7, pears 6, dry beans like pinto 15, and kidney 8 gm, lentils 8 ., green peas, 8 I look for insoluble fiber--we used to call it roughage. Don't forget prunes12gm but watch the 418 calories. I substitute pearl barley for rice in recipes because barley has 6 gm fiber per cup and brown rice only <3. These are given per cup so you can compare. Go make some chili using pinto beans and your troubles should be over. Nuts are great, too but watch the calories because they are so high in beneficial fat. One cup of almonds has 15 gm fiber but 821 calories! Use the USDA source. www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp Note that oatmeal has 300 cal, 8 gm fiber but 4 are soluble, which is good for you but does little for constipation. I eat it several days a week. Cantelope is also good because it draws water into the colon. If all else fails, buy an over the counter stool softener.
  • kashikyra
    Options
    Fiber bars work great! Apples and Pears are also high in Fiber. Cereal, blueberries, beans, and broccoli are great too. I tried supplement and the stuff u add to water.....DIDNT WORK. Its best to get your fiber from natural foods. I also keep Oroweat Double Fiber bread on deck as well
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Is it true that most of the fiber is in apples and pears are in the skin? If you peel them they are just sugar right?