eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    To all, studies show that dietary cholesterol, eggs especially, contribute very little to blood cholesterol. The over consumption of saturated and trans fats increases triglyceride levels, that is where the danger is.

I eat 9 eggs per week. and my cholesterol and triglycerides are perfectly fine.
    3 eggs (sometimes Eggland and sometimes WalMart depending on how much I got in my pocket) everyday for breakfast.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    To all, studies show that dietary cholesterol, eggs especially, contribute very little to blood cholesterol. The over consumption of saturated and trans fats increases triglyceride levels, that is where the danger is.

3 eggs (sometimes Eggland and sometimes WalMart depending on how much I got in my pocket) everyday for breakfast.

Yeah, it annoys my wife. I get the "Geeze, we just bought eggs!" line all of the time.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

Just dittoing. Dietary cholesterol contributes <50% (if I recall correctly, it's like 40%) to what your total cholesterol is. The rest is what your body does biochemically (your genetic make-up does the influence here).

No need to demonize eggs.

If you are concerned about cholesterol and triglyceride levels, eggs are not where you should start. It's the types of fats you are consuming that should be looked at and fiber.
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    I eat/drink egg whites everyday. I usually mix a scoop of protein power with 1 cup of egg whites. Equals to about 250 cals; 50 protein; 7 carbs & 0 cholesterol. It is really good and is equal to about 4 eggs a day.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I make a breakfast quiche:

1 Pie Shell
    6 eggs
    Mushrooms
    Shredded Cheese
    Spinach
    Chopped Ham or Crumbled Sausage

Whisk all ingredients together & pour into Pie Shell. Bake 45-60 minutes @ 350*

Makes approximately 8 servings...depends on how you cut up the pie.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'd say, if you want to try eggs, do it. If they make you sick, stop. If you have an aversion to meat and eggs have also made you sick, you might want to consider that you have an allergy as stated above. I hate meat, always have. Makes me super sick. So I used to buy the hype that to get protien you have to eat eggs and dairy. I NEVER had an actual allergic reaction, like swelling, hives, etc. But I did get indigestion. After being allergy tested, I learned that I was allergic to both eggs and dairy. Besides getting and upset stomach, I really liked scrambled eggs. So now I scramble tofu. Its the same texture and tastes however you flavor it. I even put ketchup on it sometimes, lol. I've learned that its actually pretty easy to do without all that stuff and I'm healthier and thinner because of it. And the alternatives to animal products are pretty darn good. I don't do the fake stuff, just some tofu on occasion, and I have no problems with protien whatsoever.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Ok,

First of all more than 80% of the nutrients in eggs, including the protien is in the yolk. If you are going to eat eggs, I would advise eating the whole egg. The egg whites have almost no nutritional value.

Second, studies have shown that whole eggs actually contribute to increasing your good cholestoral and do not increase your bad cholesteral.

And,eggs are a very high quality source of protien. There are TONS of recipes so enjoy.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/cracking-the-cholesterol-myth
  • binary_jester
    Options
    That's just propaganda put out by chickens to get you to eat more eggs. Keeps them working. eek3.gif
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    For breakfast I eat 3 scrambled eggs (the whole egg), salsa and a little shredded cheese.

BTW...I just had my cholesterol checked and it came back 100% normal.

I do this too. It's delicious! I also eat hard boiled eggs with a little spicy mustard. They are filling and delicious but if you hate them, I don't think this is a good option. I only eat one at breakfast or one in a salad. But the salsa/cheese thing--great if you don't want to taste egg.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Before I became vegan, I ate mushroom cheddar egg white omelets.
    Mushroom and cheddar omelets are my favorite and actually one of the only ways I like to eat eggs. I'm not an egg person much myself either.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, but how are you people eating 2 or 3 a day?! I've noticed that eating just two eggs in a day really makes it hard for me to stay under my fat allowance on here. :(
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    add pasturized egg whites to smoothies and shakes!!!!!
    (the only thing egg beaters is good for in my opinion)
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I love eggs, but how are you people eating 2 or 3 a day?! I've noticed that eating just two eggs in a day really makes it hard for me to stay under my fat allowance on here. :(
    I don't sweat good fats like eggs and peanuts or peanut butter.
  • cjduckie
    cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's just propaganda put out by chickens to get you to eat more eggs. Keeps them working. eek3.gif

Ahahaha =D
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat good fats like eggs and peanuts or peanut butter.

Ok...yeah, that's where most of my fat comes from, actually. Natural peanut butter and eggs. And occasionally guacamole (that I make myself) :tongue:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I've checked other sources as well. All with the same story.