For all you workout buffs....Question about HR while working

Options
I'm 24years old, 5'5.5 at 134-136lbs so my target heart rate is 159.....so i'm working out on the elliptical today and the machine would tell me to slow down every time my HR would go over 170...i felt like my body could handle it...I actually felt like i wasn't pushing myself hard enough...Is it dangerous for my heart rate to be that elivated? Is it just bc i'm out of shape that my HR was so high and i felt like i wasn't really doing anything? If i workout like that more will I be able to push harder without increasing my HR that high?? i'm so confused...HELP!

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Not unless you get dizzy. The elliptical might be trying to keep you within your target heart rate. One setting on mine does that. When i do intervals, my HR goes much higher.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You're correct in that as you get into better shape the harder it is to get your HR up.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A couple comments. First, if you were using the HRM built into the ellipitical, I find they are very erratic, so I'm not sure you can consider that number accurate (though it can reflect change in HR well, it doesn't reflect the count accurately). Second, there are 2 "optimal" HR when talking about workouts; fat-burning and cardio (fat-burning is lower). If you google optimal HR, I am sure you can get your numbers for each. It is ok to "peak" beyond your optimal cardio HR, but you are not supposed to maintain for an extended period of time (>1 minute typically).

So the moral of the story - going over 170 is no big deal, as long as you aren't there your entire workout.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so theoretically your HR Max (100%) is about 194 or so, which means at about 86% it's alerting you. If you're otherwise healthy, 86% max HR is perfectly fine to stay at, even 90% is fine for a person in their 20's and is otherwise healthy. Binary is right though, if you feel dizzy, light headed, or constriction in your chest, slow it down immediately (don't just stop, that can be just as bad as staying that high, give yourself 2 or 3 minutes minimum at a greatly reduced rate to cool down, that is, unless you're in pain or in danger of passing out), if those symptoms persist, see your doctor (even if they don't that's probably not a bad idea).
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Hey! You might want to reevaluate when you actively start TTC. They recommend you not exert yourself quite so much and keep your heart rate below 150. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm 24years old, 5'5.5 at 134-136lbs so my target heart rate is 159.....so i'm working out on the elliptical today and the machine would tell me to slow down every time my HR would go over 170...i felt like my body could handle it...I actually felt like i wasn't pushing myself hard enough...Is it dangerous for my heart rate to be that elivated? Is it just bc i'm out of shape that my HR was so high and i felt like i wasn't really doing anything? If i workout like that more will I be able to push harder without increasing my HR that high?? i'm so confused...HELP!

No, the heart rate is not too high, especially not for your age. Even though I wear a HRM with every workout, the longer I am in this business, the less respect I have for target heart rates, at least in isolation. Pay attention to your breathing. If you are breathing in a comfortable pattern and not straining, then you are in a comfortable aerobic "zone", regardless of what the heart rate is.

As fitness level improves, you will have to work at a higher workload to reach the same heart rate, BUT the *relative* intensity should stay the same. In other words, if 170 represents 85% of your max, you will still have to work at an 85% effort to reach that heart rate even after your fitness level improves. It's just that you might have to work at level 10 (for example) rather than reaching it while on level 8 now.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

No, the heart rate is not too high, especially not for your age. Even though I wear a HRM with every workout, the longer I am in this business, the less respect I have for target heart rates, at least in isolation. Pay attention to your breathing. If you are breathing in a comfortable pattern and not straining, then you are in a comfortable aerobic "zone", regardless of what the heart rate is.

As fitness level improves, you will have to work at a higher workload to reach the same heart rate, BUT the *relative* intensity should stay the same. In other words, if 170 represents 85% of your max, you will still have to work at an 85% effort to reach that heart rate even after your fitness level improves. It's just that you might have to work at level 10 (for example) rather than reaching it while on level 8 now.
    Excellent info. It bugs me to have to stay within a certain range.