Compliments... what have you been told?

Options
So I recently read a thread about the unkind words that people have been told about themselves, and it got me to thinking. This is so sad. Now I remember all the terrible things that family, friends and I have said to me. After that I felt terrible, so I wanted to start a thread to make us focus on the kind, heartwarming, motivating, & positive things that people have said to you. Whatever compliment or comment sticks in your mind and made you feel good.
I'll start: I was told recently by a stranger at the gym "You have a beautiful body." He said it in a very genuine kind way, and looked me in the eye. I have lost and gained weight lots of times, and I have terrible self esteem and body issues, so it was nice to hear that my work is paying off from someone that doesn't know me.
Your turn :wink:

Replies

• HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I got multiple people showing respect for the dedication and self control to keep counting, and I got even more mocking me for my changed eating habits (at least I'm trying to change them). Both the positive and negative motivation drive me forward :tongue:

But I'm yet to be told that by a stranger (also being a married guy doesn't help) :grumble:
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    Respect for making a lasting change from friends and family is awesome! And the negative has a way of driving us that is all it's own.

As for compliments from strangers, well they can be hard to come by sometimes. I'm married as well, and although sometimes a compliment comes with attached ideas, sometimes it is just said to build you up. (I try to let people know that I'm unavailable asap just incase anyway.) (Yes, I know I should wear a ring, but mine is a bit big now, and when I work out, my hands swell, so it goes from falling off to never gonna come off, so it stays home when I'm at the gym.)

It's late now, but has anyone else received compliments that have boosted their self image?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Ran into my boss's boss (and the second in command) for orkplace yesterday and got a pair of "Holy **** dude! Looking good!"

Two years ago I was 40% heavier and easily twice the bodyfat.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    recently; at a wedding a couple people told me that i look great, one guy told me i looked like ive bulked up which was surprising, though he hasnt seen me in a few years

the one thats stuck with me for awhile is a random woman in mexico at a resort my family and I were staying at told me i had beautiful eyes, because it was so out of the blue and noone else has ever said that to me before
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The lovely lady at the butchers who served me the other day told me I had a lovely smile - so happy. I made me blush but I was so thrilled to get such a nice, unsolicited compliment :)
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was told I was 'salty" and rough around the edges:) That's a compliment in my book!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym at my local swimming pool, which is home to quite a successful swimming team which has produced some UK champions. I was once running on the treadmill and the man on the treadmill next to me started to ask about my training regime and what my stroke was. When I looked blankly at him he said he had assumed I was a member of the swmming squad because I had good shoulders and looked so fit.

I have to add here that this was when I was much younger and about 20lbs lighter than now! However I always remember it because I had body image issues at the time and thought I was fat even then so I was really pleased, and the guy was genuinely not trying to be sleazy.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My sister: "You're setting too good of an example... I'm gonna have to lose weight now."
    One of the employees at my gym: "you're amazing." (probably referring to my dedication)
    Varied comments from my co- workers... "Wow" and "damn, you've lost weight!"
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm an American married to an Italian and we live in Italy. Several years ago I was at the local market looking for red potatoes, because I like them, but they are harder to find. I finally found someone who was selling them. Now, I'm tall and blonde, and it was an overcast day. All of a sudden the lady bagging my potaoes looked at me and said "We say here that the sun picks out the beautiful ones". A ray of sunshine had come through the clouds and through all the umbrellas had shone on my head. It was cute, and a nice compliment.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The lady who always checks me out at my neighborhood Kroger told me "you are losing so much weight, looking good!" Which really brightened my day. :)

My fiance's friends saw me for the first time in a few months the other day and said "damn, your girl got ripped!" To my fiancé. I didn't hear it, but my fiancé told me about it. That made me feel amazing!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A couple I am friends with is trying to get in better shape and got a squat rack, hand weights, etc. I told the pair that I wanted to lose weight when I first started. Months later, I see the two of them and the husband, when he was hugging me goodbye, said, "You look fantastic! I'm really proud of you." It made me feel really good.

A few of my coworkers who I don't see very often have complimented my weight loss. At least one of them is also trying to lose weight and get more fit. I've noticed that my coworkers are also more keen on talking about their fitness now that I appear more fit. Quite a few of them are doing marathons, so cool.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just spent the weekend with my brother, who at one point said: "You're looking buff! Keep at that workout!"
    I felt like a million bucks - there's always something special about a compliment from an older sibling. :)

My parents have also asked at different times if I've lost weight... that's probably a good reason to go see them more!
  • swimnurseteacher7
    swimnurseteacher7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband said, "your back looks better than the woman on TV who is taking the Lipo shots. You have gotten rid of your back fat.: My sister-in law told me she was going to have to start doing Zumba with me because I was looking good.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    One of my coaches gave a "Check out those guns..." shout out during a workout. I gave her a sideways look thinking, "yeah, right!"

She replied back, "I'm serious." Made me feel good that I'm getting some visible results.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at the beginning of this year and have progressed really quickly with a trainer who pushes me hard. It was a really hard day when I felt like I was struggling with some deadlifts and, once I'd finished, a guy who was sat at the side said to me "that looked really impressive, I don't think I could do that". It made me feel great, because I'd been being so hard on myself for struggling and he gave me a new perspective on the situation.
  • missy5290
    missy5290 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend, I was told that I had the body to be a stripper. Not sure how to take that......
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A few people have complimented me recently on my REALLY well toned arms... I work hard on those, but well worth the effort!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend, I was told that I had the body to be a stripper. Not sure how to take that......

LOL. You just made me snort my coffee..

I was told by my boss (I only see her every few months), that I looked like a teenager. I guess I looked a bit haggard for a 40-something before losing the lard, but even so. I felt really good, and I still carry that with me.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Got told by a guy in the gym that the workouts I was doing were obviously working as the diamond shape on my calves was awesome, your traps have good definition and your stomach is flat now. Well chuffed with that.

Same day, someone also called me a beast when attacking the weights, not sure if that's good or not but made me smile.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My sister is usually a good person to get compliments from - she's introduced me to her girlfriend by saying, "This is my sister. Isn't she gorgeous?" Aw, shucks! I recently showed her some of my progress pictures and she said, "You're hot, dude!"

This sounds like a compliment wrapped in an insult, but you'd have to know my hairdresser to understand that it's really a compliment. He looked at me last week when I came in for a cut and said, "Have you lost weight?" I nodded and he said, "...in your tits?" I said, "nope, they're the same" and he said, "mostly padding?" and I replied "pretty much." I was flattered that he actually noticed I'd lost weight, because not a whole lot of people have noticed.

My husband is also really complimentary. I sent him my profile picture right after I took it while he was fishing Sunday morning and he texted back, "I'm on my way home. Get ready for an attack" and then brought it up on his phone to talk about it periodically throughout the day. Nice to know your husband thinks you're sexy. :) He's also asked permission to show my progress pictures to girls at work that refuse to lift because they don't want to "bulk up." Apparently one of them saw the picture and said, "well, I guess I have no excuse anymore." I'll take that as a compliment as well, thanks.

Other that those people that I actually know, I don't get many compliments from strangers. None that I can think of. People here on MFP stroke my ego from time to time, but no one in "real life." No biggie, as you can see my ego is stroked enough by just the few people I mentioned. No need to get a big head.