Skinny Fat - Enlighten Me Please

Options
I had never heard the term skinny fat till I joined MFP in June. By now, I have seen numerous posts with reference to skinny fat, yet nothing to clue me in to what that term actually means. I must be the only one who doesn't know! Does it mean fat in some areas on an otherwise thin person? A person who is a small size due to a small bone structure, but carries a lot of fat? I have no idea what it means. I don't like being clueless-- I feel out of the loop! Am I skinny fat?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    having a higher percentage of bofy fat even though you are technically within healthy weight limits.

scales tell you numbers not the composition of those numbers (ie lean mass vs fat).

oh and frame size doesnt have anything to do with it.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    it means to be in a healthy weight range but no muscle.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It refers to someone who is a low weight, but has low muscle % and a high(er) body fat %. Generally the aim is the opposite - to have more muscle and less fat which is why incorporating some weights and exercise in general whilst eating in a deficit is important! :drinker:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It refers to someone who is a low weight, but has low muscle % and a high(er) body fat %. Generally the aim is the opposite - to have more muscle and less fat which is why incorporating some weights and exercise in general whilst eating in a deficit is important! :drinker:

Skinny fat people should go straight for the bulk, which means eating in excess and having a good few months of progressive lifting. That's how you turn the clock back! Afterwards, if needed, a slow fat cut, while still lifting to minimize the muscle loss.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I had never heard the term skinny fat till I joined MFP in June. By now, I have seen numerous posts with reference to skinny fat, yet nothing to clue me in to what that term actually means. I must be the only one who doesn't know! Does it mean fat in some areas on an otherwise thin person? A person who is a small size due to a small bone structure, but carries a lot of fat? I have no idea what it means. I don't like being clueless-- I feel out of the loop! Am I skinny fat?

Hi! You're awesome! (I read your profile). Lifting doesn't mean you'll get muscley, you can always stop when you feel it's gone far enough.

What it will do is give you great posture, strength, a great booty, lovely curves and growth hormones. It basically turns the clock back.

I will lift til the day I die! I'm 43 and feel 23. I'm fighting gorgeous young men off with sticks! Haha!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It's often used as a derogatory term, sometimes through envy.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

True, it's not nice. But it describes the body type well. Skinny isn't always healthy or nice looking, and extremely frustrating for the person who just spent ages dieting to end up feeling flabby. I know, because when I was down to 123lb, even though I wasn't flabby, I had no lift or curves, just felt a bit droopy and unhealthy, not like the youthful slim look I was hoping for. Also, I wasn't eating that much so had lack of energy and vitality.

8lb of muscle and fat later and it was a different matter!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much! When I last weighed myself, before I started my diet (I refuse to weigh again till August), the scale said my body fat is 24.2% and muscle mass is 23.3%. Does that classify me as skinny fat?
  • rachelfrancoise
    rachelfrancoise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Springfield19, I have to say, if you're 40 something, you're looking amazing!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Derogatory? Perhaps. Envy? I seriously doubt it. No one aspires to be skinny yet unhealthy, soft and weak.

Its just a term used to describe someone that might look slim, but in reality they are carrying a lot of fat due to low muscle mass. I've never heard anyone say "I want to be skinny fat..."
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much! When I last weighed myself, before I started my diet (I refuse to weigh again till August), the scale said my body fat is 24.2% and muscle mass is 23.3%. Does that classify me as skinny fat?

Here are the levels of BF% for men and women.

Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

So your BF is at a healthy level.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

You can't rely on the scales for the body fat measurements.

How do you feel? Would you like to be firmer? Same weight but tighter, smaller waist, rounder booty? More energy, tighter and glowing skin, stronger bone density and able to eat a bit more without gaining?

Lifting will do that for you.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Springfield19, I have to say, if you're 40 something, you're looking amazing!

Thank you!

I was skinny fat, after starving myself for too long. I love food. When I was pregnant I weighed about 170lb! I'm 127 now, no sag, been lucky with the skin, but worked really hard to get my calories and carb consumption back to optimum. I finally have energy again, and have won the depression battle.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Is this heading towards a mean person thread?
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all this interesting information! What I need is actually MORE fat--on my hips and butt. But those are not the areas where my body would add fat to by gaining weight. I looked good before menopause. I had plenty of fat in those areas. The loss of hormones from menopause deleted the fat from my hips/butt, and shifted it to my waist. That's why I had to reassess my ideal weight-- before menopause, my ideal weight was 135. I know that sounds like a high weight for 5' 3 1/2;" however, I have always preferred to look a little fleshy. By dieting, I found that I can have a waist again if I weigh 118 lbs. or less. And a better, smaller waist at 112. Below 112, I start to lose too much fat in my bustline. THE problem is that there's no fat on my butt any more :frown:
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I would tend to say no, as what I wrote was factual.

Edit: the envy bit is due to the person in question weighing (in some cases much) less than the person calling them skinny fat.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    a2703ec2.gif

Skinny fat is a marketing term mostly and seems to be a spin off from normal weight obesity (body weight in a healthy range but with excessive levels of body fat and therefore risk of the same health problems as obesity.)

I suspect most people who are worrying about skinny fat probably don't need to as it is more about having a certain look which is out of favour rather than anything else which is subjective.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is me. I got to goal weight and wondered why it didn't look the same at 47 as it did at 21. Now I know it is because I have lost a lot of muscle so a bigger % of my weight is now fat. I am fixing that by lifting to build back muscle, it is slow but I will get there :-)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Edit: the envy bit is due to the person in question weighing (in some cases much) less than the person calling them skinny fat.

:huh:
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options

nope_doctor_who.gif