This doesn't make sense!

Options
2»

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

Sike ?? :huh:

There are many posts on the forum that refute the fact that you have to eat your calories especially your workout calories. All the posts list scientific studies as well. MFP is shaping you based on 1 goal: Lose 2lbs a week and all the goals you are given are to ensure you lose only 2lbs a week. MFP does not want to be held responsible for anything that happens to the people that want a more hardcore weight loss. IE 5lbs-6lbs a week people and many people WILL set those goals if they were available.

I don't really get what you are saying.... You're saying that people should starve themselves and work out intensely in order to reach their weight loss goals? Are you saying that the OP gained lean muscle mass by not eating?
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Thats an easy one! You will not lose weight unless you EAT enough. Your body will hold onto it and you won't lose an ounce. I am only 5'4" and MUST eat 1200 calories on days that I relax, and at least 1350-1400 on days I exercise or the scale wont budge.

You must eat at least 1200 calories per day, it is not healthy to consistenly consume less than that.

That is not what happened. He was working out and gained lean mass.

Sorry to tell you but you are not going to gain lean mass on a diet of 1000 cals, unless you are taking some serious (steroids) supplements.

Are you saying that you cannot gain lean mass from burning stored up calories?

Exactly. And, where would these stored up calories come from? 1000 calories consumed minus say 300 in exercise = 700 calories net. There are no excess or stored calories there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thats an easy one! You will not lose weight unless you EAT enough. Your body will hold onto it and you won't lose an ounce. I am only 5'4" and MUST eat 1200 calories on days that I relax, and at least 1350-1400 on days I exercise or the scale wont budge.

You must eat at least 1200 calories per day, it is not healthy to consistenly consume less than that.

Sorry to tell you but you are not going to gain lean mass on a diet of 1000 cals, unless you are taking some serious (steroids) supplements.

Very little if any. Your body will use those calories for survival and regular bodily functions especially if you are eating below your BMR calories
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Exactly. And, where would these stored up calories come from? 1000 calories consumed minus say 300 in exercise = 700 calories net. There are no excess or stored calories there.

So if the OP has a BMI of 30 you think there are no more stored up calories?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So if the OP has a BMI of 30 you think there are no more stored up calories?

Stored fat is not used the same as food calories, it is used for survival. Even body builders lose muscle when cutting for competition and they are essentially training off of the fat stores. They typically lose strength and mass, they don't continue to gain muscle during these cut phases.
  • kewkdb
    Options
    Stored fat is not used the same as food calories, it is used for survival. Even body builders lose muscle when cutting for competition and they are essentially training off of the fat stores. They typically lose strength and mass, they don't continue to gain muscle during these cut phases.

I totally get that but those dudes are in a completely different category. IE they don't have any fat to burn so it burns muscle.

I'm not going to list the many articles that disprove starvation mode, which is what you are all hinting at, because I can list just as many proving it. You can find anything on the internet to prove your point these days.

What I am going to do is continue to lose my weight consistently going under my calorie goals while going over my exercise goals. I will post my results every month.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I totally get that but those dudes are in a completely different category. IE they don't have any fat to burn so it burns muscle.

I'm not going to list the many articles that disprove starvation mode, which is what you are all hinting at, because I can list just as many proving it. You can find anything on the internet to prove your point these days.

What I am going to do is continue to lose my weight consistently going under my calorie goals while going over my exercise goals. I will post my results every month.

You CAN gain lean mass on a calorie deficit as a beginner but those lean mass gains will not be linear. The will taper off and your fat loss will taper off as well, especially on such a drastic calorie defecate. Generally to gain lean mass you have to eat.
  • kewkdb
    Options

You CAN gain lean mass on a calorie deficit as a beginner but those lean mass gains will not be linear. The will taper off and your fat loss will taper off as well, especially on such a drastic calorie defecate. Generally to gain lean mass you have to eat.

Yep, and I am assuming that the OP still has some based on the 7lbs loss so far. Tho I think we are all assuming because we really don't have much to go on from the OP >_<
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

That is actually not how the process works. Your body does not burn muscle as a last resort like many people think, but rather it will burn muscle to preserve fat stores for future use if you are not consuming enough calories.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We also need to remember that we can't make concrete conclusions after only a week or 2 of dieting. If you're consistently changing your diet week to week, you're not going to really know what's working and what isn't. I see a lot of people here say, I've been doing everything right for a week and didn't lose anything, so the next week I tried something different and lost weight. Our bodies are very complicated, so what mostly happened was the first week, your body was retaining water, or getting use to something new, but the second week, the weight loss caught up.

I'm just starting realizing this with myself. I'm a numbers person so for the past 11 weeks, I've been charting my deficits and my expected weight loss vs actual weight loss. Two of the weeks, I actually gained weight, but the following weeks I saw the difference. Over the 11 week period according to my calculations I should've lost 12 pounds and I actually lost 11 pounds.

I try not to think about starvation mode, because even though it exists (very rarely), it's probably isn't happening to you after a week or two of dieting. I don't like the blanket 1200 calorie number because it's too genernal, but a lot of people like to use their bmr as the baseline of lowest amount they should eat. Just make sure you're eating enough where you don't feel like you're starving yourself and workout and do what works for you. As long as you have a deficit meaning total calories burned minus total calories consumed, you will lose weight.