Eating canned soup--Bad or good idea?

Options
LoryBear
LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
Every now and then I like to buy a healthy-request Campbells soup, preferably one with lots of vegetables, and I measure out the serving (2 servings per can) save one in the fridge and have one. The calories are low, 70-120 per serving depending on what kind I buy...
My question is, is the soup bad for me? I would guess since it's high in sodium, it's not exactly the best, but do the vegetables and meat outweigh the downsides?

And in relativity to other 100 calorie snacks, say those empty-calorie snack bars that women seem to eat a lot of (I stopped eating them because I realized they weren't doing anything but making me crave normal amounts of sugary food, and I wasn't able to settle for just one of the 100 calorie bars), how healthy is soup compared to that?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is a good idea to have canned soup. Enjoy it.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people think, as long as you don't have a medical issue you should be fine.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would say the canned soup is a much better idea than the empty bars- especially if the bars don't satisfy your cravings.

If you do like the soups and find yourself eating them on a regular basis, maybe make a fresh pot of soup yourself and store the left overs pre packed to grab and heat later.
  • rachelfrancoise
    rachelfrancoise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have canned soup all the time - if you choose 'right' you can still eat the whole can and fill up for lowish calories. I try to stick to minestrone or vegetable soup. I think they are a very healthy option so I say go for it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    If you can cook, make your own soups and freeze in individual serving sizes. Way better for you and tastes better too.
    Eat what works for you. If having low calorie snack bars makes you crave more sugar, you are doing right to avoid them probably. Eating things you like and that works for you will probably help you stay on track and will keep you on your plan.
  • RhapsodyInC
    RhapsodyInC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to eat soups as part of a balanced diet because the water content makes them filling but they're relatively low in calories. If you're worried about what they might be adding into it then you can always opt for the pre-made 'fresh soup' (which only keep for around 1 week) or make your own (you can portion it out and freeze so it keeps for a few months).
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I try and make my own soup as it's normally tastier and less salt and suger (very few canned/fresh soups don't have suger), plus I can make about 10 portions for about £5, but having said that nothing beats Heinz tomato soup and I have that every now and then.

If it's moderation then why not. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie/macro/micro goals and you enjoy it, then eating it is a good idea.

Look at your diet as a whole rather than trying to identify individual items as 'good' or 'bad'.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In terms of health, it's a poor choice, but it's not going to have a negative impact on weigh loss. Besides, if you enjoy it, eat it!

Ridiculous. Eating a can of soup every once in a while is not a poor choice in terms of health.
    It will not impact your health in any negative way whatsoever.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time. It is a really good meal on the go option.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I like making my own soups from scratch.

However sometimes i want a quick meal and I have canned soup.

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't have them OP.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My only problem with the packaged versions is they never seem as filling as home made. You could probably fix it by using the soup as a base and then chucking in some low calorie vegetables, simmering till the veg are cooked and bob's you're uncle.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i think it's fine every now and then (which is what you said you're doing). i keep cans of soup in my desk for lunch emergencies. the sodium is the only thing that concerns me but i rarely ever come close to the 2300 limit so again, i think it's fine once in a while.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just take it out of the can first.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I keep canned soup in my cupboard for days when I don't have time to prep lunch. Just look for something with less sodium and high fiber, protein, and nutrients. I like Pacific brand black bean soup, Progresso lentil soup, and Trader Joe's split pea. Of all of them, Progresso lentil is most widely available.

(making your own is fun, though! Make a big batch and freeze in individual freezer bags for quick lunches)