Confused about HRM

kmard81
kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
How does a HRM tell you how many cals you have burned? Does it say it, or is there a magic formula?

Also, someone posted on a recent post of mine that their HRM said they burned less calories than the machine said. Is that normal? When I use a machine, I am relying that it is putting out an accurate number of the cals I have burned so that was scary to hear!

Thx!

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    I AM A STUD according to the elliptical. According to my HRM, I am just OK. The elliptical always figures higher than my HRM.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    I would never trust the machines! Before buying my HRM I did and was shocked to find out it way over estimated my calorie burn by the tune of like 150 calories. I always go by my HRM as you plug in all of your info so it has to be more accurate.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    a HRM works on a mathematical scale by age, height, weight, v02max and BPM.

they switch between these scales when your BPM varies.

A workout machine just takes your set HR you put in and takes that and times the HRM by the amount of calories you are supposed to burn a minute that is in the scale, only problem with that is you don't start your workout at 139bpm but you may peak at 139 and you may end your workout or drop below 139bpm at some point during your workout which the machines do not take into account.
This discussion has been closed.