What was your light bulb moment?

2»

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    I was having issues with my period, and trouble conceiving is a problem in my family so I went to the doctor to check it out. First, when I stepped on the scale for the first time in several years, my heart dropped to see that I was 343 pounds. Then, when my doctor came in literally the first thing she did even before finding out why I was there was hound me about my weight (I have a new doctor now). She told me I could see a nutritionist for free though, and that I should log my food for the next week to give her an idea of my diet. That's how I found MFP, and this event is what I consider my lightbulb moment. I was just too heavy, and I couldn't do a lot of the things I wanted to at 24 years old.

There were lots of little things that culminated to that lightbulb moment though. At the same time my cousin had started to log her food and exercise more, so we got into this together. I'd also recently looked into zip lining on a family vacation and was nearly 100 pounds over weight—I'm currently right at the weight limit! Just to top it all off, I'd visited my boyfriend in another state not long before too and was mortified that I had to get a seatbelt extender. I was so scared they'd decide I had to pay for another seat. I don't have to worry about that anymore :smile:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I watched my 8 year-old swim 1.125 miles in an hour without stopping once. I was totally impressed. Then I remembered that I used to be able to hike all day for about 25 miles without stopping. I want to do that again and live a longer, healthier more active life. Plus I want to live to see my daughter take over the world, and be that cool, hip, sexy 70 year-old Mom grinning like an idiot when she's sworn in as President (yeah, I know, no expectations here..)
  • MCW3516
    MCW3516 Posts: 9 Member
    I saw a picture of myself about a month ago and realized how the past 3 years of college had given me a sizable beer gut at age 23.
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    I wouldn't say there's one moment. There were a couple. I'm a freelance writer. Because that pays so consistently and so well, I also work as one of those people who hands out the free samples at Sam's Club. One of the reasons for deciding to lose weight was seeing 400 pound plus men and women in the mobility scooters coming to my stand. I saw myself heading for that if I didn't get the weight down. I was at 347 at the highest weight.

Another reason is the difficulty I had in finding clothes. Before I began, I could only find clothes in my size at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Catherine's. Now, I can fit into a 3X. It does not give me a much wider range of options, but it is still a wider range of options. I can even pick up things at Kohl's now if i so choose.

There are several other reasons, but i won't go into them here.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    I've gone through three pairs of yoga pants ripping at the seams in the last year, so I finally broke down and weighed myself. I've never seen that number in the mirror. :huh:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Realizing that I am 1 year away from my daughter's 21st birthday and our trip.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    My light bulb moment was when both knees were acting up so badly that I almost didn't make it to the bathroom because I couldn't walk. Also, it was so hard to walk a 1/4 mile hallway at my previous job that I'd park my car over by the closest entrance so that I didn't have to walk so far. Our office was at one end of a building and our software testing room was at the far end. Also, it was hard to find business casual clothes in my size.