Hypothyroid aka uphill battle!

Options
A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I took meds for about 3 months then quit because I gained weight. This summer my OBGYN encouraged me to get back on the meds because of the health issues I could incur if I didn't as well as the complications that would be involved when I decide to have another child. Well I have been on the meds for a month now and still no real noticable change. I am tired all the time and not motivated to work out. I have been searching all over the internet to find what I can about this condition and don't know what to believe. I went to my Dr yesterday and she did blood work. Found out my dosage is too high. Praying that the lower dose helps!

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 months for you to notice a real difference once you start the medicine. It's an unhill battle, but do-able. I have other issues as well, but I do a mimimum of 90 minutes on the recumbent bike every day. If I miss a day... I just dont feel as good.
  • jkiger
    Options
    my husband has been battling hypothyroid for 6 years now. he suffers the same issues as you. tired, not get up and go and weight gain. they key to his feeling a little better was to have regular blood work performed to ensure that he is taking the correct dosage of his synthroid and we joined the gym. it is so hard for him to lose, but he is not giving up. he is an ex football player who was in tip top shape 7-8 years ago and it is frustrating that he has to try 2 times harder to loose and get back into shape as it did before. stay strong and focused. you are worth it. best of luck!
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I understand! about a year and a half ago I was diagnosed as well. Initially, I felt no difference on the meds and it has taken a while to get to the right dosage. Before that I would do everything I could to lose weight and all that would happen is that I would gain! I was constantly exhausted and before I was full of energy. It was a real butt-kicker! I recently leveled out on my meds and have been feeling much better. I've finally been able to lose weight and have more energy. Don't get me wrong, it's not a quick fix or a perfect fix, but it's definately better!
    Hope it works out for you! don't get discouraged! You will hopefully feel closer to normal soon!
  • Bluediesel
    Options
    Maybe ask your Dr. to let you try Armour Thyroid. I take 90 mg's of that. It's natural and not synthroid. That may work instead.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I`ve been battling with hypothyroid for 5 years now.It does take awhile to get the right dose.I know I was doing blood test every 6 weeks for awhile and upping the dose til the levels were within normal range.Exercise helps me so I don`t feel so tired and fatigued.Don`t get discouraged.you`ll feel better again,just stick with it.Stay strong!
    take care jane
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I've been Hypo-thyriod for 15yrs and only this year did they start reducing my meds I was taking 300mcg and am now down to 225mcg and I think that is due to the fact that this year. I really started trying to lose weight and started exercising. I started by walking. But I to was and still am tired all the time and don't really have the motavation to do anything. I force myself to. I've been reading that iodine (high levels found in kelp like sushi california rolls) and there is another mineral Selenium (found in eggs and other foods ) can help a thyroid and also Zinc can help
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I understand. I have autoimmune thyroiditis, or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I have to get my blood tested every 3 months. Stopping is NOT an option. I'd rather not go into a coma & die ;) However, once they can get you on the right dosage you'll feel better. It's not a miracle cure for your weight. I have found that cardio is the best answer to that. Watch your simple carb intake and don't eat too much protein. Contrary to popular belief, if you over eat anything (carbs or protein) you will still gain. Excess is fat storage. Small balanced meals every few hours, that will keep your blood sugar level. Complex carb, lean protein and I usually try to include a fruit or veggie side. I hope you get to feeling better. I have the same issue when my meds are too low or high. Hang in there!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been taken syntroid for two years. It is an uphill battle. When having a thyroid issue, do not eat walnuts or have dairy within an hour of taking the medication. Eat mostly whole foods too. All the bagged stuff doesn't fair well for thryoid. Read Jullian Michaels Master your metabolism. I spun my wheels for a year ... read that book. ... Stopped using sweeteners and lost 35 pounds.
  • toohot2handle
    Options
    Hey there,

Just thought I'd tell you a little about myself and my journey through this process. For well over 5 years I was dealing with constant heart palpitations. It seemed to get worse after my second son was born (he is 3 1/2 now). When it was almost getting unbearable I went to the doctor who then told me that I had to stop drinking coffee and cut out the stress. What was frustrating at that point was I only had one cup of coffee a day. About a year and a half ago I was getting worse, the palpitations were constant, I couldn't sleep, I felt faint through the day, was exhausted all the time...I knew it was more than just the coffee and stress. I had some blood work done and was diagnosed with hyper-thyroidism. We treated the hyper-thyroidism with the iodine 131 drink and that then made me underactive. Sooo, I was back to being tired and exhausted. My doctor and I have been very working hard at trying to get this condition under control. Within weeks of becoming underactive I gained 10 pounds!! I was discouraged...but I was on medication to get it back to a normal level. I had monthly blood work done and we increased my medication until my blood work came back normal.

This is a life long commitment, it requires regular follow ups with your doctor. I know it`s frustrating right now but if you are diligent taking your medication and doing your regular blood work and meet with your doctor...eventually it WILL pay off. My condition is NOW under control and this is the best I`ve felt in years!! Since the initial weight gain I have NOT gained one pound, I am now stable. I go for regular quarterly blood work as my medication may need to be adjusted at some point. I`m not tired anymore and I no longer have heart palpitations.

My words of wisdom to you are to get back on your medication. Do all the follow up that you need to keep on top of this. It takes a while but eventually you and your doctor will find the dose that is right for you. Quitting the medication will only make you feel worse AND it will not fix the problem. Realisticly you are looking at about a three month or less process to find the right dose for you. It will pay off, you just have to be patience.

Hang in there!!
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have been taken syntroid for two years. It is an uphill battle. When having a thyroid issue, do not eat walnuts or have dairy within an hour of taking the medication. Eat mostly whole foods too. All the bagged stuff doesn't fair well for thryoid. Read Jullian Michaels Master your metabolism. I spun my wheels for a year ... read that book. ... Stopped using sweeteners and lost 35 pounds.

I second this, I have stopped using sweetners too and the weight loss is coming off.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.. I'm on 50mcg of Cytomel... we're trying it first :S which I've heard is weird, but I go back for blood work in 3 more weeks. Anyways; I find that if I stick to my diet everything is fine.. fall off and I can gain almost 10 lbs in 1 sitting.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too have been on synthroid for 25yrs. You must stay on it, you could literally go into acoma if it ever gets too low. Also, when you are pregnant the dosage must be increased as well during the pregnancy and while nursing.

I will tell you, it takes some time to adjust when newly diagnosed. If after taking the meds for 6 weeks and you are not feeling better, you should contact your doctor to be tested again. Also, they should be taking the full thyroid panel which I believe is the TSH, T4, Free T3, and Free T4 to get a true picture of how you are doing. And there is a "normal range", so where you fall on the range is something to be aware of because for me I don't feel well at the lower side of the normal range so that is something to keep in mind. After a while you will be able to tell when your med is off because of the lethargy.

It does get better, just takes a little time to get adjusted. Again, you should be getting bloodwork every six weeks until they have you under control.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're on Synthroid. Have your doctor switch you to Armor or Thyroid brand natural dessicated thyroid. You may have to order it from Canada. That's ok. You can get it through Universal Drug Store's web site. They're good. If your doc won't switch you, switch docs. Seriously. If you're gaining weight and still having symptoms, you're being under-treated. I don't care what your TSH says. I absolutely REFUSE to be on Synthroid. All it did was make me worse. Dessicated thyroid gave me my life and my health back.

And, for fun, check out http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. It's a patient advocate site.