How much is one cup of food?

Options
This might sound like a really stupid question but I'm honestly ignorant. When filling the daily food calender (I think that's what you call it) I have to measure some food items by the number of cups I consumed. I want to know the amount of food a cup contains. In other words, what is the size of the cup? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    8 ounces liquid (or about 250 ml liquid).
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do you have a set of kitchen measuring cups at home? The biggest one is one cup and then they decrease in size down to an 1/8 of a cup. If you don't have a set you can pick up one at a Dollar or Euro store no problem. I measure out breakfast cereal because I find that so easy to over eat. With that said, I have read threads where the consensus is that you should always weigh your food rather than measure with measuring cups for more accuracy. Good luck!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    kitchen-measurement-magnet.jpg
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This might sound like a really stupid question but I'm honestly ignorant. When filling the daily food calender (I think that's what you call it) I have to measure some food items by the number of cups I consumed. I want to know the amount of food a cup contains. In other words, what is the size of the cup? Thanks! :smile:

Hmmm.... Okay, I just retread your post and I see someone else's response above. So, I think I misunderstood your question. now my answer seems silly. Whoops :)
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to measure your food really is by using a kitchen scale .. that is the only way you will know how much food you have consumed as cups vary and therefor the calories won't be correct.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How much one cup is will depend on the food. One cup of flour will be less (weight wise) than one cup potato. The best way to measure food is by weight, and just ignore the cup measurements.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, both fluids and solids. Solids aren't always that solid, you can cram a lot more ie ice cream than a serving into a cup, and it's easy to "not see" how full the spoon or cup is. A number on the scale, on the other hand, is absolute.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    If it fits in the palm of your hand it is the appropriate amount.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the OP had a legitimate question. That is not helpful...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

In situations where you don't have a measuring cup at the ready, it sure is. Or do you actually bring a set of measuring cups everywhere you go?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think the best way to measure your food really is by using a kitchen scale .. that is the only way you will know how much food you have consumed as cups vary and therefor the calories won't be correct.

Yup, weigh solids measure liquids for accurate logging
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have used both methods, measuring and weighing. Weighing has been more successful for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

In situations where you don't have a measuring cup at the ready, it sure is. Or do you actually bring a set of measuring cups everywhere you go?

Some people do carry around measuring cups and even scales.
    But after a while you can eye-ball it -- even though it is only a good idea to do that when there is no measuring cup available (like at a restaurant). You can probably pick up a measuring cup at a Dollar store. Or anywhere else for that matter. Grocery stores sell them.
    http://lifehacker.com/5880630/use-your-hand-to-estimate-your-portions
    1 cup = your fist
    1 ounce = the meaty part of your thumb
    1 tablespoon = your thumb, minus the meaty part
    1 teaspoon = the tip of your index finger
    1 inch = the middle section of your index finger
    1-2 ounces of a food like nuts or pretzels = your cupped hand
    3 ounces of meat, fish, or poultry = the palm of your hand
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    1 cup does NOT equal my fist, which is less volume than a cup, which is 8 ounces. most drinking cups and mugs hold more than 1 cup of liquid, so best to get a measuring cup with markings on the side.

that being said, most dry foods are better measured by weight than volume. a digital food scale is the best way to go if you want accurate calorie info.