Reversing Diabetes

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
I just wanted to share my immense joy with all of my MFP friends. Today I had my regular 3 month diabetes check up. My last check up, we talked about getting off of insulin & I had a blood test done where it said if there would be a chance or not. The results said I scraped by, by the spit on the gums of my teeth! So Doctor gave the nod to start SLOWLY weaning off of insulin. Well, being the bull-headed loose cannon that I can sometimes tend to be, I pretty much lasted a week on that plan & then decided "Uh-uh. No, we're done." And ripped out my insulin pump. I've been listening to it complain at me for a month to hook it back up to my gut.

So long story short, I haven't had insulin since the beginning of September. I was nervous, especially when I took a month off from the gym, and went bananas on Halloween. So you can imagine how absolutely FLOORED I was when my hA1c came back today at 5.7.

I said "WHAT! Are you KIDDING me?!" No kidding. I almost cried.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am slowly reversing my diabetes.

I did this to myself, and it's my job to undo it, and... I'M DOING IT! One day at a time. And you can too!

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Fabulous news! It is amazing that there are health issues that can be reversed by losing the weight. I did it with cholesterol and I just had a dear friend do the same thing with diabetes. So happy for you - Keep up the great work!
  • reginabroyles
    Options
    That is great!!!! I am so happy for you!!! I am borderline diabetic myself and I am working very very hard to stay off the pills and shots. I hate shots!!! I go again in a few weeks for another test and hopefully it will be better than the last test i did. CONGRATS AND KEEP UP THE GREAT HEALTHY LIVING!!! :)
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    wtg on your own achievements, 4lafz, and special props to your buddy! Having such an amazing result today has renewed my fervor toward my weight loss goals and new life. Being my doc's very favorite and brightest star child always makes me feel good. I like making her happy :)

Regina, you can do it! Just take it a day at a time. 5 good choices every day trumps 10 bad ones, I think.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Wow... that's truly inspirational. By taking our health into our own hands, we re-weave the web of our life. :)
  • loubay26
    Options
    Congrats. I am a PREVIOUS type 2 diabetic. I have also been taken off my medications. It sure is a great feeling isn't it! Keep up the good work!
  • Allegra289
    Options
    That is incredible! Definitely one of the best things you could ever do for yourself. Keep up the excellent work!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME! And way to go, loubay, for doing the same! I think it is an elite club ;)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! That is a HUGE accomplishment, and definitely something you should be proud of. :flowerforyou:
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    That is really great. I am so happy for you. I, myself am borderline Type 2 Diabetic, and seeing how well you are doing gives everyone hope.

It's amazing what exercise and eating right can do!
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Congrats! I wasnt on insulin yet but I also have diabetes & have reversed it by diet and exercise.Doesnt it feel wonderful!!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So you can imagine how absolutely FLOORED I was when my hA1c came back today at 5.7.

I BET!! I cannot wait for mine to be that low! I know it has gone down....we shall see the beginning of next month when I go for my blood work! I am really trying to get off these meds!!

:smile:
  • lupuslady
    Options
    That is my dream goal. I take the pills, and my HA1c is always good , but I want off the
    actos, and metformin. I am so envious of you. You worked hard and succeeded.:blu:flowerforyou: shing: :smile: :laugh:
  • Neuroticwench
    Neuroticwench Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That is SO FANTASTIC, congratulations! :bigsmile:

I'm only on oral medication, but I'm hoping for the same eventual result. You're a very big inspiration for me to continue working hard toward my goals!
  • HotMommy0609
    Options
    That's amazing! :happy:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's extremely exciting. I also take metformin, so next goal is to get off of that, too! C'mon, body, fix yourself, you're doing great.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    WoW!! I didnt even know it was possible to reverse diabetes! Absolutely thrilled for you :flowerforyou:
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    DKWaggoner wrote: »
    Congrats! I wasnt on insulin yet but I also have diabetes & have reversed it by diet and exercise.Doesnt it feel wonderful!!

beat diabetes ytube
    Mr. Reverend Pollack
    Dr. Berry
    Dr. Hampton
    Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Berg
    Fully Raw Kristina
    Daily Walking/Exercise
    Intermittent Fasting
    ? One meal per day?
    25 to 100 gram carbs per day
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!