So exactly when does all the bad stuff happen?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Did you just say that I eat like a pig and have an eating disorder?

:huh:

She called me a pig too! But wait, I checked her profile, she must not have because that would be judgmental and rude, and she doesn't do that: "I'm done accepting requests from guys. Also had to make my diary "friends only" because some of you people are too judgmental and rude "

Since most who would eat at 3500 calories are guys, I'm going to assume she's just being misandric after her obvious bad experience from having befriended guys here.

I sure did have a bad experience with many guys messaging me here asking for nudes LOL how pathetic.

Anyway, I did not mean to insult anyone so I apologize. I was being too harsh with my words, however, I am still in the same stance as I was before. Saying how much you eat and binge on food is okay here but letting others know how little you eat means that you'll be banned soon because you are promoting eating disorders.
    Sure low calorie eating habits aren't for everyone, but just because I am doing it and don't have any issues, doesn't mean I don't belong here and should not post. That's it

If it's a violation of the Community Guidelines, then yes, it means you shouldn't post it.

And in this particular thread, OP wasn't actually eating as great a deficit as she claimed she was...

...but my arms are getting tired and this horse looks sufficiently dead...

...for now.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Did you just say that I eat like a pig and have an eating disorder?

:huh:

She called me a pig too! But wait, I checked her profile, she must not have because that would be judgmental and rude, and she doesn't do that: "I'm done accepting requests from guys. Also had to make my diary "friends only" because some of you people are too judgmental and rude "

Since most who would eat at 3500 calories are guys, I'm going to assume she's just being misandric after her obvious bad experience from having befriended guys here.

I sure did have a bad experience with many guys messaging me here asking for nudes LOL how pathetic.

Anyway, I did not mean to insult anyone so I apologize. I was being too harsh with my words, however, I am still in the same stance as I was before. Saying how much you eat and binge on food is okay here but letting others know how little you eat means that you'll be banned soon because you are promoting eating disorders.
    Sure low calorie eating habits aren't for everyone, but just because I am doing it and don't have any issues, doesn't mean I don't belong here and should not post. That's it

If it's a violation of the Community Guidelines, then yes, it means you shouldn't post it.

And in this particular thread, OP wasn't actually eating as great a deficit as she claimed she was...

...but my arms are getting tired and this horse looks sufficiently dead...

...for now.

This...

and I'm gonna throw in that aside from the fact that it's unhealthy, there are people recovering from ED's so promoting VLCD's when others are in recovery and it can be a trigger for them. Not okay.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to say that your ticker image is awesome OP...

Haha! Thanks! I love MMA / boxing... talk about huge calorie burns!

I can kick pretty high but I feel I never get the roundhouse the right way...

Yes the roundhouse is tough... takes a ton of practice! Remember it's not about kicking high but kicking forward.
    My trainer told me to imagine I was in a school bus aisle and I had to lift my leg up first, and then over the seats... that helped my form a lot! Just practice, practice, practice :smile:

I was thinking of buying a standing bag...do you think its worth it?
    [/quote

Yes! I love my wave master!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to say that your ticker image is awesome OP...

Haha! Thanks! I love MMA / boxing... talk about huge calorie burns!

I can kick pretty high but I feel I never get the roundhouse the right way...

Yes the roundhouse is tough... takes a ton of practice! Remember it's not about kicking high but kicking forward.
    My trainer told me to imagine I was in a school bus aisle and I had to lift my leg up first, and then over the seats... that helped my form a lot! Just practice, practice, practice :smile:

I was thinking of buying a standing bag...do you think its worth it?
    [/quote

Yes! I love my wave master!

which brand did you get?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    For the record, I don't advocate or promote lower than healthy calorie targets nor do I advocate ed's and I hope no one else commenting here does either.

I didn't argue that my calculations aren't wrong. Clearly they are but at the same time clearly I've maintained a good deficit for over a year because I've lost a lot if weight. Accurate or not some days I physically and mentally know that I am way under like my stomach just doesn't feel hungry... My entire body does (if that makes any sense).

Also, if I am truly eating more than I think I may as we'll start living on water and lettuce! There are a lot if foods listed in my diary because I try to list specific ingredients but in reality I feel like I eat next to nothing! So... Bad stuff like being grumpy, tired, hungry, angry, yup for sure! Not all the time but many times. So I guess the numbers are saying one thing but my body is saying something else.

My body seems to want to stay right where it is no matter what approach I take. I don't want it push it so far that I get sick or injured or have a real crash and burn. So far so good, I am generally fine and have good energy... But I do have my moments.

For those of you truly engaged in the conversation, if I didn't reply I not ignoring you or not considering your thoughts on the matter, just a lot if comments
    Thanks!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1. Fitbit accuracy - guess what? it's not an ergometer. It doesn't actually measure the work done, nor your efficiency doing it. It merely estimates your caloric burn (as with any HR monitor). Better than nothing, but still subject to inaccuracy.

I was reading some reviews on fitbit type devices and came across this nice little gem.

Both pics are from the same person who was writing a review on several activity trackers. They wore them both at the same time, input the same data etc. I thought it was pretty interesting. I would hope that any reasonable person would assume that there is a bit of inaccuracy to the device because its made for the masses and not each specific individual however the disparity between theses two devices is pretty large. Large enough for me to re-consider getting one.

dmfxqe.jpg

The pic on the left is the Fitbit flex. Shows over 6000 steps and estimated 1900 cals burned.

The pic on the right is the Nike Fuelband and shows 4300+ steps and only 673 cals burned. A HUGE disparity.

The reviewer specifically stated that her biggest concern for all of the fitbit products (not just the flex) "is tracking accuracy. I feel they greatly overcompensate when it comes to step count, calories burned, and distance. This makes it really hard for me to recommend it over other offerings I feel are far more accurate."

On the plus side the reviewer did state that on the plus side the Fitbit did come in a variety of colors and is pretty fashionable. So even if its not accurate, you will still look great wearing it and accessorizing

http://www.imore.com/ultimate-fitness-tracker-comparison-fitbit-flex-vs-jawbone-up24-vs-nike-fuelband-se-vs-garmin

For the full review on those and other items, I found it there ^^

673 calories burned by...3pm?

Are they dead?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article to confirm, but perhaps the Nike product is measuring additional calories beyond BMR (or more accurately, beyond TDEE less exercise) and the fitbit is including calories burned in total?

I haven't read it either, but the Fitbit number shown appears to be its projected TDEE. The difference would be the 1900 and the 2200, it seems. Whether that's a big difference or not depends on whether they are end of the day finals for the same person or projections from earlier in the day. Fitbit does this (IMO annoying) projection thing where it extrapolates to the end of the day based on earlier efforts.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I haven't read the article to confirm, but perhaps the Nike product is measuring additional calories beyond BMR (or more accurately, beyond TDEE less exercise) and the fitbit is including calories burned in total?

I haven't read it either, but the Fitbit number shown appears to be its projected TDEE. The difference would be the 1900 and the 2200, it seems. Whether that's a big difference or not depends on whether they are end of the day finals for the same person or projections from earlier in the day. Fitbit does this (IMO annoying) projection thing where it extrapolates to the end of the day based on earlier efforts.

Okay, I looked at the article and comments and the author didn't bother understanding the products and their differences before writing, which is really incompetent of her.

In particular, after her error was pointed out in the comments she tried to dismiss it or explain it away, and stated:
    I just know when Fitbit tells me I've burned 1,500 calories by 9am and I've done nothing but brush my teeth... there's a problem with that.

This ignores the fact that Fitbit projects TDEE for the whole day.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You can turn this off in settings though, right?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I haven't bothered to check, but really should. Thanks for the thought.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit

Preferences - Calorie Estimation: disabled

I think that will take care of your problem.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned that Fitbit overestimates. I know that many times, it has shorted me by half a mile. I hope to heck it's not overestimating my calories because it tells me to eat less than MFP does.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

673 calories burned by...3pm?

Are they dead?

Not necessarily. Depending on the algorithm used by the specific piece, this might be "additional" calories burned in excess of base.

My bicycle meter does that. If I don't pedal for a bit, the calorie count doesn't increase (in fact, it doesn't even measure calories, it measures kJ of work performed. Approximately equivalent but not the same). So lets say I do 30 minutes of downhill riding - expenditure reported is zero, but that doesn't mean I spent zero calories - means zero calories from exercise.

I also have a now unused Sigma HR monitor. That thing kept adding calories even at rest, when my HR was below 50. So clearly these pieces used a different model to calculate expenditure.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Okay, I looked at the article and comments and the author didn't bother understanding the products and their differences before writing, which is really incompetent of her.

In particular, after her error was pointed out in the comments she tried to dismiss it or explain it away, and stated:
    I just know when Fitbit tells me I've burned 1,500 calories by 9am and I've done nothing but brush my teeth... there's a problem with that.

This ignores the fact that Fitbit projects TDEE for the whole day.
    That calorie estimation setting isn't what you're referring to, I don't think. What it refers to is what your Fitbit does when you don't wear it, like if you leave it at home. If it's set to 'enabled' it estimates your calorie burn based on some recent past average. If it's set to disabled, it uses a sedentary (BMR) number instead. It has no effect when you're wearing your Fitbit (assuming you're moving some now and then) or if you log any manual activity.

I don't use the phone app but the 1900ish number doesn't look like an estimate to me, it looks like her total calorie estimate up to that point in time. So I'm guessing it wasn't 3pm.

Fitbit does do some extrapolating of calories for purposes of the food plan, though. It is annoying. There is kind of a hidden setting in the Food Plan area that lets you pick 'sedentary' or 'customized'. It means it will estimate your day's calories for food plan purposes as though you're going to be sedentary or based on past activity trends. It's kind of convoluted.

That 2200ish number on the Fuelband is their 'fuel points' value, I think. Check out these images-

https://secure-nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/fuelband/
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned that Fitbit overestimates. I know that many times, it has shorted me by half a mile. I hope to heck it's not overestimating my calories because it tells me to eat less than MFP does.
    Your distance per Fitbit doesn't weigh in to your calories. It's just your step count times your running or walking stride length setting.

It will go lower than MFP because it doesn't have the 1200 floor. It assumes you're smart enough to recognize what's not enough intake for yourself and either move more or adjust your weight loss goal to something slower.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit

Preferences - Calorie Estimation: disabled

I think that will take care of your problem.

Thanks! Much better.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Waaaaait... Did this accidentally turn into a useful topic despite its best intentions???
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Fitbit does do some extrapolating of calories for purposes of the food plan, though. It is annoying. There is kind of a hidden setting in the Food Plan area that lets you pick 'sedentary' or 'customized'. It means it will estimate your day's calories for food plan purposes as though you're going to be sedentary or based on past activity trends. It's kind of convoluted.

Yeah--I used to have it on sedentary so it never mattered or seemed to affect anything in a confusing manner, but now I'm trying to do active with negative adjustments and need to figure it out. It took away calories after I completed yesterday, so I was over without anticipating it. No biggie, but I clearly have to learn how this aspect of it works.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That is great. It means you are doing it right.
    The main problem I have is my sweet tooth. I love deserts. They are ment to be loved. Before I would try to avoid them like the plague. Doesn't work. So I am try the new style of small amounts/ starring and not feeling bad about it. Diets are for life since the only time you stop eating is when you die. This will be my new life style and I can't wait till I hit my goal and don't need this to remind me to eat health. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Waaaaait... Did this accidentally turn into a useful topic despite its best intentions???

don't worry, we'll get it back on the rails in the AM