So exactly when does all the bad stuff happen?

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    You're not eating VLC. You are perfectly within your maintenance calories. Being 5'0'' the most I can eat is 1600 or I gain. VLC for you would be 800. All that eating back workout calories and starvation mode is bull. I was struggling listening to these forums and what worked for people. I met with a nutritionist who explained that if you want to lose weight, you find your maintenance calories and deduct from there. Never eat back workout calories. And don't listen to me or anyone on these forums. Find what works for you and go.

Thank you for the thoughts and words based upon your own personal experience. I appreciate it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The Adaptive Thermogenesis thread has about 15-20 people commenting on their own "crash and burn" experiences and the medical literature clearly identified a hysteresis effect to weight loss - the path you follow affects metabolism. So much for information.

Whether you want to believe it or not - your business.

Are you really keeping a significant cut now?
    Having lost 50 lbs your metabolism has shifted because, with weight loss, one needs a lot less to move around, etc... What you thought was a significant deficit is probably no longer that.

If you are losing less than 2 lbs a week you are not in a "huge" deficit or you've impacted your metabolism.
    So unless you are planning to lose those remaining 7 vanity pounds in two or less weeks, I'm going to suggest that your significant "cut" isn't as large as you think it is.

When was the last time you recalculated your TDEE?

Now, if you really want to see what your max TDEE has been at different weight as you lose - run this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/new-mfp-data-export-tool-major-update-659927

Then post the image of the TDEE and TDEE vs Weight graphs and we can discuss if your TDEE has not changed over time.

All of this...

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to understand how much your metabolism has been effected unless you have test done before and after. Your TDEE will drop, as will your RMR and BMR. It's a natural process throughout weight loss. I can tell you, from anecdotal experience, that I am working with a women who did 4 rounds of HCG and only loses about .5 lb per week at 1400 calories, which exercising 6 hours a week (mix of NROLFW and HIIT) and no medical conditions. From a ton of other people I have worked with, similar people her size average about .8-1 lb per week at 1700-1900 calories. So while most people lose at 1700, she is maintaining at that much. Our plan is to start a bulk once she gets to a low enough body fat %. Oh and I have been working with her over a 1 year period at this point.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you think you burn or how many calories you think you eat, the truth lies in how much weight you gain/lose over a period of time. Your body is the ultimate arbiter in this.

Your 58 lb weight loss in "just over 10 months" (I called it 42 weeks), indicates a daily calorie deficit of 690. that is a very reasonable amount and a healthy rate at which to lose weight. That's why you aren't seeing any of the "bad stuff".

Good job.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I am weighing my foods/liquids and am getting a close to accurate burn number.

Tough to say. Buy I'm willing to bet the days you logged only 74 calories, multiple quick added calories, and the days where you have nothing logged at all... you in fact ate much more.

That, or the fact that taking the average calories back in early July of what you had logged is about an average of 1400 calories per day.

Also, how are you coming up with 1,000 calorie burns each day?

^^ What he said

OP

Congratulations on being successful with your estimations.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You're not eating VLC. You are perfectly within your maintenance calories. Being 5'0'' the most I can eat is 1600 or I gain. VLC for you would be 800. All that eating back workout calories and starvation mode is bull. I was struggling listening to these forums and what worked for people. I met with a nutritionist who explained that if you want to lose weight, you find your maintenance calories and deduct from there. Never eat back workout calories. And don't listen to me or anyone on these forums. Find what works for you and go.

If you are finding your maintenance calories and deducting from there you are already including your activity level in so you are right you wouldn't eat those back.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I feel like this post is less about 'the bad stuff' and more about seeking validation for what you're doing.

I could be wrong though.

I'm just going to say that netting low or negative amounts is not healthy in anyway, whether it's apparent to you or not. Also, are you doing this under doctor supervision? If not.... you should.

ETA: I also think your burns are way overestimated and your logging is less than stellar. Sunday you had a 74 calorie day? Probably not.

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    15 months and you have only lost 8 lbs? Does that really sound right to you?

Wow... does anyone actually read anything? lol

Again... I have 8 lbs to go.

Again... I remove my Fitbit number throughout the day as I log, keeping an eye on my calorie target vs. Net.

Last... the quick add calories are overestimated. I typically put them in early in the day to give myself some leeway for snacks if I want them. I pretty much stay at the 1200 number or below but leave the quick adds in there... forget to delete sometimes.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Regardless of what you think you burn or how many calories you think you eat, the truth lies in how much weight you gain/lose over a period of time. Your body is the ultimate arbiter in this.

Your 58 lb weight loss in "just over 10 months" (I called it 42 weeks), indicates a daily calorie deficit of 690. that is a very reasonable amount and a healthy rate at which to lose weight. That's why you aren't seeing any of the "bad stuff".

Good job.

Thank you thank you.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I feel like this post is less about 'the bad stuff' and more about seeking validation for what you're doing.

I could be wrong though.

I'm just going to say that netting low or negative amounts is not healthy in anyway, whether it's apparent to you or not. Also, are you doing this under doctor supervision? If not.... you should.

ETA: I also think your burns are way overestimated and your logging is less than stellar. Sunday you had a 74 calorie day? Probably not.

I don't need validation.
    Again, just looking for like minded individuals on the same path with similar, or not so similar experiences.
    I didn't complete my logging on Sunday. My bad. I never said perfect, I said 95%.
    Thanks anyway.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all of your foods?

How do you know you're burning 1000 calories with exercise? MFP calorie burns or heart rate monitor?

(I peaked your food/exercise diary). Personally, your burns seem high and if you are not weighing your foods then you are eating more than you think. So your deficit probably isn't as high as you think it may be.

^^^ that's what I thought as well.

I also agree with someone else that the post comes across as either seeking validation.... either that or trying to say that because you're fine eating at an extreme deficit (if you really are doing that) that everyone who cautions against it is wrong. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but it is how your post comes across.

To answer your question - the more extreme the deficit, the earlier the problems kick in. So if you've gone a whole year without problems such as binge eating, feeling weak/tired, becoming exhausted too early in workouts (relative to when you'd be exhausted due to lack of oxygen when you eat properly), loss of lean mass or adaptive thermogenesis (which would lead to plateus and slowing of weight loss) then the answer is probably that you're not eating at as extreme a deficit as you think you are.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    15 months and you have only lost 8 lbs? Does that really sound right to you?

Wow... does anyone actually read anything? lol

Again... I have 8 lbs to go.

Again... I remove my Fitbit number throughout the day as I log, keeping an eye on my calorie target vs. Net.

Last... the quick add calories are overestimated. I typically put them in early in the day to give myself some leeway for snacks if I want them. I pretty much stay at the 1200 number or below but leave the quick adds in there... forget to delete sometimes.

She got the 8 lbs from your ticker. It says you've lost 8 and have about 8 to go. Not everyone goes and reads peoples profiles and she may have missed the 1 post on here that says that.

Also, you says you delete the fitbit #, but it's still on your diary. That's why people are bringing it up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree that your logging is inaccurate and you're double dipping your fitbit calories.

If you want to log Zumba and such I'd recommend doing it on Fitbit's site, because that way those burns will override your fitbit adjustment for the time period during which you were exercising. That's how I log my lifting and my physical therapy.

That said, your rate of loss isn't unreasonable, which backs up the idea that you're not really doing a VLCD, so if you prefer the way you're doing it just keep doing that. But don't think it means you're netting negatives, because I don't think it does. Personally since you're down to vanity pounds I'd start to ramp up your calories as you move toward maintenance.

eta: I did read that you say you're deleting your fitbit calories and weighing but that's not what your diary indicates.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Good job.

Yes. You can log your food anyway you choose and log your exercise as you choose - but our bodies keep a very accurate account of what is truly going on.

When all is said and done - if you had been netting 300 - 600 calories a day for a year, you would have lost a lot more.

So, what you are doing is working, just not exactly as you are portraying.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I could be wrong though.

I don't need validation.
    Again, just looking for like minded individuals on the same path with similar, or not so similar experiences.
    I didn't complete my logging on Sunday. My bad. I never said perfect, I said 95%.
    Thanks anyway.

It is interesting you are ignoring the posts that talk the problems long term or are about experiences that aren't similar to your yet thank all the posts that agree with you....
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

I could be wrong though.

I don't need validation.
    Thanks anyway.

It is interesting you are ignoring the posts that talk the problems long term or are about experiences that aren't similar to your yet thank all the posts that agree with you....

She asked when all the bad stuff happens.....

Is it happening yet?
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Tough to say. Buy I'm willing to bet the days you logged only 74 calories, multiple quick added calories, and the days where you have nothing logged at all... you in fact ate much more.

That, or the fact that taking the average calories back in early July of what you had logged is about an average of 1400 calories per day.

There are def days where I eat way more. Sometimes on a Sunday I don't log at all. Not perfect no but for the most part I have six out of seven days that are accurate.

For my calorie burns I have multiple workouts each day starting with a quick half hour in the morning, each afternoon at my work place fitness center for an hour and in the evening I either dance (all cardio) or MMA which is a combo of extreme calisthenics/cardio and boxing.

Also, how are you coming up with 1,000 calorie burns each day?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yes. Weighed and measure... and all make up the ingredients I put into my 5.3 oz yogurt.
    I keep my Fitbit connected but I delete the adjustment number it gives me throughout the day so I can see my net w/out the fear of double dipping. I also manually round down the number that MFP gives me for any given calorie burn. I also round down the number of minutes of each work out to ensure if nothing else, a lower burn number.

Your diary says a different story. It shows you taking burns for zumba, situps and fitbit adjustment on multiple days.

And how do you weigh out 70 quick add calories or .5 cup? that's not a weighed entry... but good luck to you

perhaps the OP should come back when she has a consistent story?

or

perhaps the OP should come back when she successfully maintains for a 6-12 months before thinking that she's rewriting biology?

or

thanks anyway
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I agree that your logging is inaccurate and you're double dipping your fitbit calories.

If you want to log Zumba and such I'd recommend doing it on Fitbit's site, because that way those burns will override your fitbit adjustment for the time period during which you were exercising. That's how I log my lifting and my physical therapy.

That said, your rate of loss isn't unreasonable, which backs up the idea that you're not really doing a VLCD, so if you prefer the way you're doing it just keep doing that. But don't think it means you're netting negatives, because I don't think it does. Personally since you're down to vanity pounds I'd start to ramp up your calories as you move toward maintenance.

eta: I did read that you say you're deleting your fitbit calories and weighing but that's not what your diary indicates.

Thanks! So you find that logging your exercise on Fitbit gives you more accuracy than on MFP? And you just use MFP to log your foods? I may try that... Yes, sorry I know my diary doesn't reflect the adjustment deletion. I don't want to disconnect so I delete as I go throughout the day and the system automatically adds it back in. Before I end my day I delete the number, refresh and take a look at the number that way.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Your diary for the last week shows you eating 1300 - 1600 calories per day. It looks like you are not doing an extreme diet. I believe the "bad stuff" happens when you restrict calories BELOW what is healthy for that individual. You know, the people that are netting 300 - 600 calories a day.

I have been at 1500 - 1600 calories - give or take - for 2 and 1/2 years. I'm fine too. Because I meet my macros, meet my calories. So, what is the point of this post?
    The OP wrote that she has been at , "...a fairly substantial deficit and/or negative net at the end of the day about 90% of the time." Negative net. You don't think that's extreme?

That is extreme, though looking at her diary, if she's not weighing her food, then she's eating more than she things. Also, pretty sure those burns are estimates that come from MFP - which we all now are incredibly high. So while OP thinks she's been on an extreme diet, she probably hasn't really been.

This is weighed?

Pb2 - Peanut Butter, Powdered, 0.2 tablespoons
    Pb2 - Peanut Butter, Powdered, 2 tablespoons
    Peaches - Raw, 2 small (2" dia) (approx 5 per lb)
    Quick Added Calories, 70 calories
    Generic - Nuts - Almonds, One Almond, 2 almond
    Generic - Fresh Pineapple Chunks, 0.5 cup

Those are just a few but you get the idea

ETA: With your calorie burns you are logging your exercise on MFP and still taking your fitbit adjustment so you are double dipping on the burns. Your Zumba for example that will log steps on Fitbit so you are inflating your calorie burns

Yes. Weighed and measure... and all make up the ingredients I put into my 5.3 oz yogurt.
    I keep my Fitbit connected but I delete the adjustment number it gives me throughout the day so I can see my net w/out the fear of double dipping. I also manually round down the number that MFP gives me for any given calorie burn. I also round down the number of minutes of each work out to ensure if nothing else, a lower burn number.

Your diary says a different story. It shows you taking burns for zumba, situps and fitbit adjustment on multiple days.

And how do you weigh out 70 quick add calories or .5 cup? that's not a weighed entry... but good luck to you

perhaps the OP should come back when she has a consistent story?

or

perhaps the OP should come back when she successfully maintains for a 6-12 months before thinking that she's rewriting biology?

or

thanks anyway

You...I like you.