Super obese, why isn't the weight falling off me?

Options

Replies

• Lrox2014
    Lrox2014 Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep at it as all the others say measure and weight everything also don't for get what you drink. I have found that even Diet Soda isn't good try to stay away from color drinks, I have found in the past that I have lost better when drinking clear liquids, if you haven't started to drink water try to drink more water. You can do exercise sitting down with your arms and also move your feet and legs

Good Luck

I have lost in the last year 60 lbs, I don't have as much weight to lose as you, however I do still have a lot to lose I haven't been doing so well in the last few month and I have put back about 20 of those pounds, I am restarting today back on losing my extra weight
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Here's some information that might help

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

People really need to stop posting these generic copy/paste messages on threads such as these.

This is a person with 250 pounds or more to lose. 2 lb's a week on someone with that much to look is not "ideal". Any gastric doctor in the world would agree, such as his/hers, would expect much more per week.

The links have valuable information for anyone that needs to lose weight. When I started I had close to 150 lbs to lose, just because it's a larger number doesn't mean the process is different just the deficit amount. And without being able to see her diary the links are the best advice that I could give to her.

Agree with Jwhite here.

These links are actually quite valuable with the amount of information that they contain.

More than likely anyone with 250+ to lose will lose more in the beginning, but at some point it will slow down and that chart is still on point.

If you don't want the info, then don't read it.

This is a public forum, and we are actually trying to help people and give advice that is useful Give people the tools and then they can decide if they want to use them.

She's lost 100+# using this info. She just might know a little something about it.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

No, it's not.

But people really need to stop judging on this forum because they do not know the medical issues that are impacting a persons metabolism. Does she has cushings or graves or hyperthydroidism? Does she have a metabolic disorder?

The answer is you don't know.

Just because YOU lose at 2350 doesn't mean someone else will.

It is an open public forum and give my opinion to anyone.

She's eating too much.

Not true. She could be eating way too many carbs, too much fruit/sugar, etc. I did Weightwatchers, counted calories, and was exercising and not losing. I can't even have a banana, too much sugar.

OP, can you give us an example of an average day?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

No, it's not.

But people really need to stop judging on this forum because they do not know the medical issues that are impacting a persons metabolism. Does she has cushings or graves or hyperthydroidism? Does she have a metabolic disorder?

it is an open public forum and give my opinion to anyone.

She's eating too much.

And what valuable information have you given to assist the OP other than complain about everyone else?

How much have you lost? What help can you give? Before you start complaining about every thing people are doing to try and assist how about you actually contribute something of value.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    You're stuffing your face still. To maintain 440 lbs you'd need to eat around 2800 calories a day.

Where did you get that number from? I'm 80 pounds less than the OP and I have to eat 3700 calories to maintain.

I did a simple tdee calculation and set it to sedentary,

Im not sure what calculator youre using but that seems about 1500 calories off.

All that matters is to be 440 lbs and claim to not be losing at 1800 cals a day is flat out BS.

I'm 6'1 185 and lose at 2350.

No, it's not.

It's try that some can lose at that amount and some don't.

But has the OP stated she has those diseases? No. People go off the information that we are given. OP has been to the doctor and knows what her conditions are. Maybe she has them, maybe she doesn't. People go off of the information that OP has provided none of which is that she has any of those conditions.
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If all I got from my doctor boils down to "I don't know why you aren't losing weight, get surgery", I'd find another doctor.

Has she referred you to have your metabolism tested? Not everyone is typical and the standard TDEE formula may not be accurate for you. (no matter what the TDEE/iifym/cico crowd thinks)

Has she done basic tests on your thyroid function? Have you been referred to an endocrinologist to rule out other issues that don't show up on standard tests? Is your adrenal working properly or are your cortisol levels screwed?

Have your sugars been tested? Are you "pre-diabetic" or "insulin resistant"?

How about your estrogen and progesterone? Estrogen dominance can be a sign of PCOS. In addition to insulin resistance, PCOS has other factors that inhibit losing weight (the medical explanation of which is beyond me, ask a doctor that doesn't say "i don't know" and sends you under the knife)

Has she referred you to a dietician?

I went through all that with my doctor. At 375 pounds, I barely lost weight on an 1800 calorie diet. No, I'm not brain dead. I know how to use a food scale and measuring cups. No, I'm not a liar, yes, I accurately recorded my food intake. (I do have "estrogen dominance" and PCOS, and type2 diabetes). I have to restrict sugars and eat under 1500 calories with exercise to lose even a bare 1-2 pounds a week, even while still over 300 pounds.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    And what valuable information have you given to assist the OP other than complain about everyone else?

How much have you lost? What help can you give? Before you start complaining about every thing people are doing to try and assist how about you actually contribute something of value.

About 130 pounds the first round.

This 2nd round I've lost about 25 pounds so far.

I never complained about your post. I simply said the generic 2 lb's a week is ideal message for people needed to lost 250lbs or more is false. It IS true for those needed to lose lesser weights, yes.

I'm assuming your valuable contribution is copying/pasting what has been copy and pasted in every other thread. Thank you so much.

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Not true. She could be eating way too many carbs, too much fruit/sugar, etc. I did Weightwatchers, counted calories, and was exercising and not losing. I can't even have a banana, too much sugar.

No.

I lost 53 lbs eating too much carbs. ..that's irrelevant to weight loss. Calories in vs out
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I started at 375 lbs in mid-April and have lost 50 pounds as of this morning. Something else has to be going on, either you aren't logging accurately or something of that sort.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    No I am not a doctor. But HER DOCTOR IS. And he is pushing for WLS.

Normally I would be in the same boat. Weight loss surgery is a nightmare all it's own. But this much overweight and barely being able to even walk. I don't think my advice was so unreasonable and I'm sticking to it. I think that unless you get results soon a downward spiral will start to occur. If it is not already in motion. By all means prove me wrong. I would love to see you lose weight the natural way. I just think that as time goes on that will become an increasingly uphill battle if it has not already become impossible. It's not as if I am advising 250lb people to get liposuction here.

Yes I am not a doctor but I am no proponent of unnecessary surgery either. But everything she says leads me to believe that her condition has become next to impossible to reverse. However honestly and truly i would love to be proven wrong about this I really honestly would. Regretfully though I don't think I am.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

No.

I lost 53 lbs eating too much carbs. ..that's irrelevant to weight loss. Calories in vs out

Same here!
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    It's try that some can lose at that amount and some don't.

But has the OP stated she has those diseases? No. People go off the information that we are given. OP has been to the doctor and knows what her conditions are. Maybe she has them, maybe she doesn't. People go off of the information that OP has provided none of which is that she has any of those conditions.

Agreed.
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options

No.

Same here!

I've also been losing eating lots of carbs.
  • chrystee
    Options

No.

Works for some, doesn't work for others.. We have no idea whats going on with her medically. I have PCOS.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything?

This, I got a food scale and was flabbergasted by my bad "eyeballing" portion size skills. I had no idea what a proper portion was. Now, I measure every single thing I make at home. Food scale, measuring cups, tablespoon and teaspoons galore. As an example, even a Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich that chicken breast is at least 1.5 times a serving size of chicken. Oh yeah, its depressing.

I am surprised you're not dropping a lot of water weight switching to a healthy diet but sometimes a body can be stubborn. Fat loss isnt calories in calories out exact science. Hormones play a huge role. Buy a food scale, measuring cups, tablespoon sets and track everything to a letter for a week and see if anything changes. If not, get back on here and open your diary and see if others can help again.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

I never complained about your post. I simply said the generic 2 lb's a week is ideal message for people needed to lost 250lbs or more is false. It IS true for those needed to lose lesser weights, yes.

I'm assuming your valuable contribution is copying/pasting what has been copy and pasted in every other thread. Thank you so much.

So are you upset that she copies and pastes the info or you have a problem with a generic chart that should be used as a guideline, not a MUST. It's known that if you have 250# to lose, you will lose more than 2# a week. It will slow down at some point though and that guideline is helpful.
  • chrystee
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything?

This, I got a food scale and was flabbergasted by my bad "eyeballing" portion size skills. I had no idea what a proper portion was. Now, I measure every single thing I make at home. Food scale, measuring cups, tablespoon and teaspoons galore. As an example, even a Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich that chicken breast is at least 1.5 times a serving size of chicken. Oh yeah, its depressing.

I am surprised you're not dropping a lot of water weight switching to a healthy diet but sometimes a body can be stubborn. Fat loss isnt calories in calories out exact science. Hormones play a huge role. Buy a food scale, measuring cups, tablespoon sets and track everything to a letter for a week and see if anything changes. If not, get back on here and open your diary and see if others can help again.

Agree.. this is probably the biggest problem.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Yes giving the OP information that helped me when I first got started and didn't know why I wasn't losing. So yes copy and paste works wonders. 2 lbs a week even with lots to lose is a good goal will there be weeks with more lost .. yes probably, and there will be weeks with nothing lost. It's there as a guide.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

No, it's not.

It CAN be BS, sure.

Nor do I care, and it is an open public forum. I can judge anyone and give my opinion to anyone.

She's eating too much.

No.

Works for some, doesn't work for others.. We have no idea whats going on with her medically. I have PCOS.

I realize PCOS makes it harder to lose and maybe your macro breakdown will vary from mine it does NOT trump thermodynamics, though
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Please look on youtube and Sparkpeople for videos of seated exercise...there are a LOT of options out there for people with limited mobility, for whatever reasons. I just did several months of seated exercise due to surgery restrictions, and it was all doable and helpful.

I was also going to suggest seat exercise videos. Youtube has a lot of great free content that you can use to work out at home for no money with equiptment you probably already have. You can use water bottles or canned food for weights and maybe buy some cheap resistance bands and have a great workout without putting stress on your knees.

Also it might help to eat a diet designed for diabetics / low carb, low glycemic index.