Red face from jogging

Options
Okay, just in case I haven't clearly explained how self conscious I am..... here's one more thing I tend to worry about. My face gets SO RED after any intense exercise - as in - people around me feel the need to comment, "wow, you're burning up!" and when I got home from a walk/jog this morning, I was a little spooked by my reflection! It took quite a while to cool down.

The question is.... how do I get through the embarrassment of overheating and keep on going? I've ALWAYS had this issue and it's kept me from doing things I'd like to. (Think middle school PE class.... nothing like feeling singled out - so I shied away more from breaking a sweat than really getting into it.)

On a positive note, with the feedback and support from MFPers, I've been at this a full week now. (Was also paying attention to food the week before). So, two weeks total tracking and I've lost 5 pounds..... it was pretty cool to see the scale on the OTHER side of 175. :)

And, just so no one worries, I followed advice from some other MFPers, warm up for 20 mins or so with brisk walk, then jog a minute, walk a minute, repeat. Only did that for 10 minutes and thought I was going to DIE so back to walking I went (along with my firey face).

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Okay, just in case I haven't clearly explained how self conscious I am..... here's one more thing I tend to worry about. My face gets SO RED after any intense exercise - as in - people around me feel the need to comment, "wow, you're burning up!" and when I got home from a walk/jog this morning, I was a little spooked by my reflection! It took quite a while to cool down.

The question is.... how do I get through the embarrassment of overheating and keep on going? I've ALWAYS had this issue and it's kept me from doing things I'd like to. (Think middle school PE class.... nothing like feeling singled out - so I shied away more from breaking a sweat than really getting into it.)

On a positive note, with the feedback and support from MFPers, I've been at this a full week now. (Was also paying attention to food the week before). So, two weeks total tracking and I've lost 5 pounds..... it was pretty cool to see the scale on the OTHER side of 175. :)

And, just so no one worries, I followed advice from some other MFPers, warm up for 20 mins or so with brisk walk, then jog a minute, walk a minute, repeat. Only did that for 10 minutes and thought I was going to DIE so back to walking I went (along with my firey face).
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    My face does the same thing! What gets me really embarrassed is when I was going to Curves, the older ladies who were the instructors kept worrying about me, they're like, "Are you ok? Do you need to slow down? Take your heart rate please!" When really I was fine, my face is just naturally a little rosey and then you add exercising to that and I'm so red it's almost purple! Argh! I hate it!

Sorry, I don't know any cures for it! (I guess I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one out there!) :blushing:
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I totally know what that's like! I have a naturally red complexion as opposed to olive or something so I turn into a tomato SO easily! I hate it! But I've noticed that the longer I work out (weeks/months I mean) the less bad it is. I've gotten over a lot of my fears of going to the gym and looking gross. I don't even wear make-up there and go before I've showered for the day so I'm making strides. :laugh: My point is, I understand and don't worry... those things fade away after time and I promise even though they may make a comment other people don't really care as long as you don't fall down dead next to them. :wink:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but i dont mind it.... I know i am getting a good workout
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This is something you get used to.

I always tell people "this is just how God made me. Scandinavian skin." This usually consoles them. A cool (not cold) washcloth after your workout helps.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    When I first started out running, I ran at night because I didn't want anyone to see me. :tongue: Once you start seeing the results you're not gonna care if you look like a moving eggplant!! :wink:

No one looks like a beauty queen during the run, but you'll feel like one afterwards. :smile:
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing! Even when I am done exercising (vigorously) and out of the shower...my face is often STILL RED!!! Maybe that's why I never got picked up on in bars when my friends and I would go out dancing!!! Pair that with being naturally "sweaty" when I exercise...wow...quite the catch! Fortunately I have a sarcastic sense of humor that helps me deal with life's fun little gifts such as these! :wink: :wink:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Same here, too. :blushing:

When I played sports in my younger years or even when I just ran in college and stepped back into the house to see my roomies, I was always pretty red. People would be like "WOW! you worked out HARD today, huh?!"

Still happens to this day, but now I don't notice as much. I'll just show off my bright red face to the passersby and think "hell yeah!!! that's RIGHT I got a good workout today!!!" :laugh:

Everybody has something, I'll be content with my crazy red complexion. :wink:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Heck, when I exercise hard my face actually borders on purple afterwards. Eventually it calms down to what I'm choosing to interpret as an "attractive flush." So no makeup required, right?

Just ignore the comments - I guarantee you notice it 100 times more than others do. Good for you for exercising and getting to that point! It's good for you, and actually it improves your skin by increasing circulation!
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I have the same thing too - so I put some light foundation on and then i just look like everyone else!:laugh:
  • twingle08
    twingle08 Posts: 40
    Options
    My face goes splotchy!! I look like a reverse clown as my cheeks get red but my nose and all around my mouth stay very white! It is pretty funny but I don't seem to get too many weird looks so is most likely extremely noticeable to me! Or maybe they don't say anything because they are worried I may break out into a clowning routine or something...!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi all... I've been MIA for a while... but checking back in and WOW - thanks for all of the support. Does make me feel better to see that I'm not alone. I've been walking at a brisk pace most days, just yesterday i busted out the more vigorous pace and yep, red again. I'll keep working on accepting it.....

I flush really easily even when it's not exercise related (think being the center of attention or being flustered), so might as well get the benefits of good exercise to go along with it, right?

Thanks again. It really does make me feel better.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Not only do I get the red face, but I also sweat!!! No perspiring for this girl, just sweat!! My 5 year old son has inherited this lovely trait from me as well...he gets off the ice from playing hockey and is the only kid with his head soaked with sweat. I am ok with the red face while I am exercising but I wish it would go away faster when I am done.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but not only when I exerice. My face turns red all the time! When I get embarrassed, when I laugh, when when I'm cold, when I'm hot..... I asked my doctor about it and she said that's just the way you were made! :blushing: I'm learning to live with it.