Advice on weightloss

Options
Hanlonx
Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
Hi,

I am looking for a little advice really, I am 5ft 8.8st and looking to go down to 8st as that is where I've felt my happiest.

I eat fairly healthy already just my snacking and meal sizes I need to work on! Should I listen to MFP calorie allowance? I was even thinking of trying the 5:2 diet to kick start me but read if you do not have a great deal to loose then it doesn't really work.

Also how much should I exercise a week to achieve my goal?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What did you get for a daily allowance? The trick to MFP is that the set-up isn't guided as well as it probably should be. While they subtlely suggest that more than 1 pound per week isn't adviced, a lot of folks still go wtih the 2 pound per week goal because everyone wants to lose the weight a.s.a.p., regardless of whether it's 5 pounds or 150 pounds.

With 10 pounds to lose, you should be set at 1/2 a pound per week. As long as your basic info and activity level are set accurately, yes, you can trust the MFP goal. Also make sure you eat back at least half of any earned calories thorugh logged exercise.

Good luck!

P.S. You don't necessarily need to exercise to lose weight as MFP doesn't factor in exercise until you log it. However, for your health and probably to get the look you want, it'd be a good idea to get in a good combo of cardio and strength training a few times a week.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt set 8st as your goal...that would leave you at 0.8st and that is probably a little bit too light...lol

I always say to balance your macros (protein, fats, carbs) and start at 1500cal and adjust from there. Try it for a couple weeks and see how your weight responds and go down or up a couple hundred every couple weeks to fine tune your loss to something comfortable.

Exercise will speed up the process. I think lifting weights is way more effective than cardio. I'd start with 2-3 times per week and go more often as you get used to it.
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    It set me with 1200, I'll try that and see how it goes!

Because I have such a small frame you can really notice any extra weight on me.

What are good foods to be eating? ATM I am having porridge for breakfast either with a small banana(if I'm starving) or a tbsp of honey, tuna salad for lunch and normally chicken and sweet potato fries for dinner.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Good proteins seasoned just about any way you want: chicken, lean beef, turkey & chicken breast, wild caught fish, eggs etc.
    Good fats: olive oil, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, avocado, eggs, grapeseed oil, coconut oil etc.
    Complex carbs: sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, beans, vegetables, some fruits

Basically I just mix up the above and create some yummy stuff and some super bland stuff..haha. Just make sure your macros stay relatively balanced and your protein stays high. If your low calorie diet makes you hungry, increase your vegetables...you can just about eat all you can stand without worrying about calories.
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    Thanks! What way is best to make eggs? Can only handle scrambled something about the taste and texture of eggs :laugh:

Which fruits are best to avoid? I mainly eat bananas, apples, grapes and strawberries.

Thanks for all the information! :smile:
  • inthekitch
    inthekitch Posts: 26
    Options
    i love love love eggs but i usually stick to eggwhites!

eggwhite omelettes with kale, spinach, zucchini and red onion (i sometimes throw in a few niblets of corn) with hot peppers and hot sauce is my favourite! it's so filling with all it's greens and protein :) sometimes i'll add a slice of silver mills vegan bread as well if i'm having a rough go of the morning.