Am I not meant to be a runner?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Tell it to Pheidippides. :wink: I don't believe that mankind "evolved" from apes either so the article would be a "no sale". I think we are exactly as we were designed to be. Most of us are lousy runners and I expect that is why horsemanship developed. :laugh:

Most people can't ride a horse for more than 15 minutes without being out of breath or complaining about saddle sores. It's not as easy as it looks. Try riding a 25 mile endurance ride, better yet, a 50 or 100 mile ride, let alone all the riders I see panting after riding a 4 minutes dressage test.:noway:

Pointing out that humans often aren't very good at sitting a horse doesn't mean that the horse is not a much more efficient runner. Lighten up--you'll probably live longer. :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Didn't say that it did but the poster mentioned evolution as the basis of our ability to run. You may accept evolution as "reality" but I see it as the underpinning of a religion.

Which one?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I love to run, it makes me feel alive but I have been plagued by injuries from running for a long time. I've tried everything. I bought top of the line motion control shoes, highly rated inserts, went to PT, tried minimal shoes, have lost weight, and stretching and nothing seems to prevent injury.

I just came back from 3 months of rest and PT for three types of tendonitis in my foot, which included my achilles, plantars fasciitis, and peronnial tendonitis. Now Im back and followed a jeff galloway Couch25K plan and now not only is some of tendonitis coming back but I can feel shin splints forming again too. I'm only running about 2 x 3 times a week for 1.5-2 miles max. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Are some people not meant to be runners or has anyone else done something that helped them triumph over a similar situation?

I'll probably get jumped on for this but: My personal opinion is that almost no one is meant to be a long-distance runner. It is extremely hard on the body but those who are addicted to it would run even if it killed them. I understand the exhilaration thing (I do pool exercise and nothing makes me happier than sprints in the water--amazing for the mood). In addition to being hard on the body, those who are very successful as long-distance runners look pretty awful. You end up consuming your muscle and most long-distance runners look very haggard in addition to having numerous musculo-skeletal problems. One of my MFP friends is a long-distance runner and she is plagued by injuries--is going for p.t. and has to get cortisone shots. Her physiotherapist told her to take up water exercise instead. I have had other running friends with the same problems. Not worth it.

You'll only get jumped on it because this opinion is demonstrably wrong. Evolutionarily, running is what human beings are designed to do. Not sprinting (we're not going to outrun any other animal over short distances), but for long, steady-state running. Sure, people do it wrong, they ramp up to fast, they don't wear the right gear, and they get injured. People also get injured squatting too much weight and dropping barbells on their throats. Not liking running is one thing, and that's cool, but it really is what we are designed to do.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v432/n7015/full/nature03052.html

the abstract: "Striding bipedalism is a key derived behaviour of hominids that possibly originated soon after the divergence of the chimpanzee and human lineages. Although bipedal gaits include walking and running, running is generally considered to have played no major role in human evolution because humans, like apes, are poor sprinters compared to most quadrupeds. Here we assess how well humans perform at sustained long-distance running, and review the physiological and anatomical bases of endurance running capabilities in humans and other mammals. Judged by several criteria, humans perform remarkably well at endurance running, thanks to a diverse array of features, many of which leave traces in the skeleton. The fossil evidence of these features suggests that endurance running is a derived capability of the genus Homo, originating about 2 million years ago, and may have been instrumental in the evolution of the human body form."

Here's a summary if you can't get the scholarly article
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041123163757.htm

Tell it to Pheidippides. :wink: I don't believe that mankind "evolved" from apes either so the article would be a "no sale". I think we are exactly as we were designed to be. Most of us are lousy runners and I expect that is why horsemanship developed. :laugh:

Well, the article didn't say we evolved from apes, so...not sure where you are getting that. It says our ancestors were ape-like, and then we diverged into separate lineages, which is what happened.

But can't argue with someone who is just dead set on an opinion, no matter what reality says, so I guess this is good day?

Didn't say that it did but the poster mentioned evolution as the basis of our ability to run. You may accept evolution as "reality" but I see it as the underpinning of a religion.

Oh, I see. I thought you were misquoting the article. My bad, you were just misunderstanding evolution.

Tip: if you want to insist that something isn't true, you should at least know what that thing actually says.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I love to run, it makes me feel alive but I have been plagued by injuries from running for a long time. I've tried everything. I bought top of the line motion control shoes, highly rated inserts, went to PT, tried minimal shoes, have lost weight, and stretching and nothing seems to prevent injury.

I just came back from 3 months of rest and PT for three types of tendonitis in my foot, which included my achilles, plantars fasciitis, and peronnial tendonitis. Now Im back and followed a jeff galloway Couch25K plan and now not only is some of tendonitis coming back but I can feel shin splints forming again too. I'm only running about 2 x 3 times a week for 1.5-2 miles max. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Are some people not meant to be runners or has anyone else done something that helped them triumph over a similar situation?

I'll probably get jumped on for this but: My personal opinion is that almost no one is meant to be a long-distance runner. It is extremely hard on the body but those who are addicted to it would run even if it killed them. I understand the exhilaration thing (I do pool exercise and nothing makes me happier than sprints in the water--amazing for the mood). In addition to being hard on the body, those who are very successful as long-distance runners look pretty awful. You end up consuming your muscle and most long-distance runners look very haggard in addition to having numerous musculo-skeletal problems. One of my MFP friends is a long-distance runner and she is plagued by injuries--is going for p.t. and has to get cortisone shots. Her physiotherapist told her to take up water exercise instead. I have had other running friends with the same problems. Not worth it.

You'll only get jumped on it because this opinion is demonstrably wrong. Evolutionarily, running is what human beings are designed to do. Not sprinting (we're not going to outrun any other animal over short distances), but for long, steady-state running. Sure, people do it wrong, they ramp up to fast, they don't wear the right gear, and they get injured. People also get injured squatting too much weight and dropping barbells on their throats. Not liking running is one thing, and that's cool, but it really is what we are designed to do.

the abstract: "Striding bipedalism is a key derived behaviour of hominids that possibly originated soon after the divergence of the chimpanzee and human lineages. Although bipedal gaits include walking and running, running is generally considered to have played no major role in human evolution because humans, like apes, are poor sprinters compared to most quadrupeds. Here we assess how well humans perform at sustained long-distance running, and review the physiological and anatomical bases of endurance running capabilities in humans and other mammals. Judged by several criteria, humans perform remarkably well at endurance running, thanks to a diverse array of features, many of which leave traces in the skeleton. The fossil evidence of these features suggests that endurance running is a derived capability of the genus Homo, originating about 2 million years ago, and may have been instrumental in the evolution of the human body form."

Well, the article didn't say we evolved from apes, so...not sure where you are getting that. It says our ancestors were ape-like, and then we diverged into separate lineages, which is what happened.

But can't argue with someone who is just dead set on an opinion, no matter what reality says, so I guess this is good day?

britney_huh.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Tip: if you want to insist that something isn't true, you should at least know what that thing actually says.

No kidding. But then, MFP wouldn't be half the fun it is without unknowledgeable people making definitive statements.

:drinker:

With any luck the Flat Earthers will now dog pile this thread....
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Keep talking, it makes you look smarter
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The Zulu armies disagree with the notion that humans aren't built to run distance. The meagerness of ancient Greece disagree as well. Thinking humans aren't made to run is akin to believing the Earth is flat and the solar system revolves around us.

Of course, some people are unwilling to accept science. They are what is commonly referred to as wrong.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's time for this:

tumblr_m0ge0rVJ9b1qd99h3o1_500.jpg

The "non-belief" in science also explains so much.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

No kidding. But then, MFP wouldn't be half the fun it is without unknowledgeable people making definitive statements.

I just love how people conveniently forget we had this EXACT same set of arguments over plate tectonics less than 50 years ago. Just a theory, can't prove it, don't teach it in schools! Any guesses why you never hear main stream arguments about plate tectonics any more?
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to join the debate, but OP, I started running 6-7 months ago. I weighed 325 lbs (I'm a 27yr/female). I had AWFUL pain at first and was frustrated with walking, I just wanted to be able to start running. I forced myself to take a step back and do tiny walk/run intervals anywhere from 2-5 days a week. I'm currently down to 277 and I still struggle but it's nothing like before. I had such painful shin splints before I could barely walk the day following my workout. I just pushed myself way too hard and fast. Now I don't get shin splints at all. But I'm currently only running 1-3 miles at a time depending on how I feel and some days I still walk a bit, others I push to run the whole time. Along with slowing down my pace and how far I push myself, I got a few tips from the lovely internet that helped tremendously. I googled how to run, and literally practicing how my foot hit the pavement helped tremendously. I felt silly...like shouldn't one just KNOW how to run? But the little changes helped a lot. Obviously at 277 lbs I still have a long way to go, and in case you couldn't tell I am NO running expert, but I thought I would share my experience anyway. Good luck in whatever you choose!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I just love how people conveniently forget we had this EXACT same set of arguments over plate tectonics less than 50 years ago. Just a theory, can't prove it, don't teach it in schools! Any guesses why you never hear main stream arguments about plate tectonics any more?

Most Evangelicals (at least in the US) do not believe in plate tectonics, believe it or not, as it's pretty inconsistent with the Young Earth fantasy.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Here's the honest truth.

Alot of people have deformed feet.

The culprit ... the regular wearing of shoes.

No sorry but this really is the truth. I love running. I do it whenever i can but I will never manage a whole 5k. The reason is bunions. Brought about because for a short period when young I had to wear shoes that where too small for me. The fact is wearing shoes at ALL is extremely un natural and subtlety warps your feet after a time. Of course some of us get away with more who have genetically better feet and/or luckier/smarter parents who make sure their kids shoes always fit. But some peoples feet just end up deformed. What do you think bunions are? Some people will always say where there is a will there is a way. But fact is some people will never be good at running again. Because the structure of their feet is warped and compromised. And in all likelihood can't be fixed.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Most Evangelicals (at least in the US) do not believe in plate tectonics, believe it or not, as it's pretty inconsistent with the Young Earth fantasy.

Of course not, they can't. But it's A LOT harder to dispute in the general public without making it abundantly clear just how far gone you are.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Get Eric Orton's "The Cool Impossible" and follow his routines for building foot, ankle, knee, hip and core strength... I struggled at first... plus I have had both hips replaced... his routines helped me get to 45-50 miles per week and up to running ultras in about three years
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Pointing out that humans often aren't very good at sitting a horse doesn't mean that the horse is not a much more efficient runner.
    Wrong again.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Of course not, they can't. But it's A LOT harder to dispute in the general public without making it abundantly clear just how far gone you are.

Yep.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Get Eric Orton's "The Cool Impossible" and follow his routines for building foot, ankle, knee, hip and core strength... I struggled at first... plus I have had both hips replaced... his routines helped me get to 45-50 miles per week and up to running ultras in about three years

Finally something about the topic!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The Zulu armies disagree with the notion that humans aren't built to run distance. The meagerness of ancient Greece disagree as well. Thinking humans aren't made to run is akin to believing the Earth is flat and the solar system revolves around us.

Of course, some people are unwilling to accept science. They are what is commonly referred to as wrong.

Then surely you'd factor in lifestyle? Id imagine the Zulus and ancient Greek runners didn't have diets like most folks from the US and UK - amongst the most overweight nations on earth. Have humans ever been as overweight as they are now?
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's time for this:

tumblr_m0ge0rVJ9b1qd99h3o1_500.jpg

The "non-belief" in science also explains so much.

The thing about science...there are laws that are absolutes (like gravity). But after that there are lots of theories that have been backed up by research, tests and evidence and conventions. That doesn't mean they are all infallibly correct.

Some theories are disproven as technology/knowledge improves. The scientific community can sometimes turn "nay sayers" into outcasts. Anyway, talk about off topic....