Ballpark number?

Options
So I don't have a calorie counter cause I don't know what's reasonably price and good quality. But I have a question of how many calories I burn doing an exercise.

I don't go to the gym so this is all nature.

I run 3 miles a day. When I looked up 3 miles running, it said 500 calories, but it was on flat ground. I jog 3 miles: 1.5 down and 1.5 up. It's 7 mins down and it's 10 mins up. It's really hard cause the incline gets really stiff and tough.

So I was wondering whats the ballpark of the calories burned in 1 of those jogs?

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your heart rate/exertion...If I have my heart rate in the range I want it, I burn 10-11 calories a minute. If I'm not wearing a moniter, I will way underestimate just to be safe (so I'll say about 8 cals a minute). I'm a six foot tall, 290lb 23 year old woman just for comparison's sake. And I've had testing to see what my burns are at what ranges.

But again, it's ENTIRELY dependent on your personal stats so I'm not sure what a good guesstimate would be for you?
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    In between 0 and 1000.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ballpark ... (.63 calories) per mile per pound net burn.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Maybe 200ish?
  • tony49837
    tony49837 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ballpark is 100 calories per mile.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    So I don't have a calorie counter cause I don't know what's reasonably price and good quality. But I have a question of how many calories I burn doing an exercise.

I don't go to the gym so this is all nature.

I run 3 miles a day. When I looked up 3 miles running, it said 500 calories, but it was on flat ground. I jog 3 miles: 1.5 down and 1.5 up. It's 7 mins down and it's 10 mins up. It's really hard cause the incline gets really stiff and tough.

So I was wondering whats the ballpark of the calories burned in 1 of those jogs?

You dont provide your stats. Age, height, weight, sex are all factories in determining "estimated calorie burn"

So based off of the information you provided the ballpark is 500 calories
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

By posting in this forum I assume you have Internet access. I use TDEE in determining my CICO goals, so when I log my workouts I record them as 1 calorie. One of the reasons is the huge disparity in trying to determine what the different calories burns are per activity.

I cant recommend an accurate calorie burn calculator but perhaps try Googling some and playing around with some of the input numbers and choose for yourself which numbers you feel are the most accurate for you?
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    My stats:
    Sex: Male
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 174.6
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Ballpark is 100 calories per mile.

Yeah, I am 45/male/200 and I usually burn 100-120 per mile depending on speed.
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    I try to run as fast as I can and I'm absolutely drenched in sweat when I am finished. I try to do it 3 to 4 times a day, but they are redoing the street so I haven't been doing it as much. It looks like I just jumped in the lake and came home that's how sweaty I get.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    One that differentiates between gross and net caloires burned ....
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

One that doesn't ...
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Amount of sweat is not an accurate indication of calories burned.