Do I have to feel sore?

marisol7649
marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
When I started to work out I was so sore, and I lost weight and inches fast. Now, I think I am getting use to it. My question is do you have to feel sore to know that you are working hard or should I keep working out the same way?

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I don't feel sore that much anymore unless I change something up. When I do I feel the sore feeling it is not as bad as it used to be and it doesn't last as long...now I welcome it.
  • marisol7649
    I don't feel sore that much anymore unless I change something up. When I do I feel the sore feeling it is not as bad as it used to be and it doesn't last as long...now I welcome it.

Should I work toward the sore each time to see results?
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Depending on how long you have been doing your routine..Your body is probably getting used to it.
    Especially if your not seeing any changes like you were in the begining. In order to get results, you have to change things up and confuse your body so it wont get used to the same ol routine. It needs a challenge. This is how people plateau.

Ami
  • marisol7649
    I was running now I do epi machine. So I will go back to running only?
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    What do you have access to?
    Can you add in some resistance training? Muscle burns fat;-)
    Stair climber/ bike etc.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    My personal feeling is - for cardio, once I'm in relatively good shape I don't expect sore muscles. It's for cardiovascular health and burning calories. For strength training, if I'm trying to improve strength I expect soreness. If just maintaining, not so much.
  • kelsully
    My personal feeling is - for cardio, once I'm in relatively good shape I don't expect sore muscles. It's for cardiovascular health and burning calories. For strength training, if I'm trying to improve strength I expect soreness. If just maintaining, not so much.

this....
    My cardio workouts are for that purpose..as long as I am working hard enough to get my heart rate up it is all good. If I am looking to change the shape of something, get stronger etc then I will work until I feel the muscle fatigue...ie a weight circuit. If you work until muscle fatigue then you will feel some degree of soreness...but the muscle fatigue is necessary for growth/increase in strenth etc.

For a workout video like 30 day shred I think it might be good to do a level or a certain amount weight per exercse until it no longer makes you sore then increase your intensity with heavier weights or the next level on the video...then repeat...work until that level no longer makes you sore then increase
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    You do not have to achieve soreness and you do not have to change your routine up constantly.

I have personally been doing the same 5x5 routine for three months I am still making progress and have not been sore past the first two weeks. I know others that have been doing the the same routine as me and/or other 5x5 routines for over a year and are still making progress and not achieving soreness.

Just my two cents.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    soreness doesn't matter. They've done the studies to show it. People think how much they "feel" something determines how affective it is. Not true. If your goal is feeling weak and having trouble getting out of chairs, then chase the soreness all day.

It is true that your body has gotten used to your routine, which is why you aren't as sore. It is NOT true that your body getting used to a routine means the routine is not working. The routine only stops working when you stop making progress, which means you need to keep track of the progress you make. The type of progress you want to make depends on what your goals are. If your goal is weight/fat loss, then weighing and measuring bodyfat will show you if you are making progress. If your goal is to get stronger, then you should be adding weight to the bar. Once you stop getting stronger, change your routine. If your goal is to run farther or faster, then you have to measure those things and keep track of changes. Again, once you stop getting faster, change your routine.

When you do change based on progress, your body will get sore until you get used to the new routine again.
  • kelsully
    soreness doesn't matter. They've done the studies to show it. People think how much they "feel" something determines how affective it is. Not true. If your goal is feeling weak and having trouble getting out of chairs, then chase the soreness all day.

It is true that your body has gotten used to your routine, which is why you aren't as sore. It is NOT true that your body getting used to a routine means the routine is not working. The routine only stops working when you stop making progress, which means you need to keep track of the progress you make. The type of progress you want to make depends on what your goals are. If your goal is weight/fat loss, then weighing and measuring bodyfat will show you if you are making progress. If your goal is to get stronger, then you should be adding weight to the bar. Once you stop getting stronger, change your routine. If your goal is to run farther or faster, then you have to measure those things and keep track of changes. Again, once you stop getting faster, change your routine.

This too...I don't experience the kind of sore that I used to even with a change in workout/intensity etc. Instead of feeling like I can't walk up and down stairs what I now experience is that feeling where every now and then I think to myself...oh I had a good workout yesterday...my calves are a little sore..etc...When you first start working out you get that whole body sore where the mere thought of stairs makes you want to cry...what I refer to as sore now is that ever so slight "sore" reminder I might feel on the last few steps that I worked by butt off the day before...That is the feeling I welcome.

When you do change based on progress, your body will get sore until you get used to the new routine again.
  • marisol7649
    I have access the a gym, with weights and machines. But I am doing the epilectical machine ( sorry about the spelling)
  • End6ame
    I have access the a gym, with weights and machines. But I am doing the epilectical machine ( sorry about the spelling)

Why only elliptical? What are your goals?

A balanced program should include both cardio and weight training.
  • marisol7649
    Thank you for your post. I got it. It was helpful.
  • marisol7649

I want to be able to to run a few miles without stopping, losing weight would be a great bonus. Mainly endurance,also I noticed that when I work out my back does not hurt.
  • End6ame

I want to be able to to run a few miles without stopping, losing weight would be a great bonus. Mainly endurance,also I noticed that when I work out my back does not hurt.

Running is more than just endurance, granted it is a huge factor, running uses virtually every muscle in your body, so the stronger that they are the easier it will be to carry your body weight over a given distance. I would recommend incorporating barbell squats into your routine. squats, when done proper work every muscle in your body. Also body weight exercises would be great for increasing and maintaining agility. Push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc...
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Completely agree with grglandr, with one thing to add. If you want to be able to run, then go run. You won't see any marathon or triathalon competitors on elliplticals.
  • marisol7649
    Completely agree with grglandr, with one thing to add. If you want to be able to run, then go run. You won't see any marathon or triathalon competitors on elliplticals.

Thank you for all your post. I'll let you go gotta go run!!
This discussion has been closed.