not eating enough?

Options
Ok, so, yes...I'm new here...but this is not the topic of what I want to talk about. Thing is...according to this site, I'm not eating enough, and that this will lower my metabolism...BUT I'M NOT HUNGRY! I don't know why it is that I cannot lose weight unless I starve myself, but then it messes with my metabolism (which is horrible to begin with) I feel lost, don't know what to do...why should I eat if I'm not hungry? GAH! Frustrating, I tell ya!!

Replies

• loveangel729
    loveangel729 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok, so, yes...I'm new here...but this is not the topic of what I want to talk about. Thing is...according to this site, I'm not eating enough, and that this will lower my metabolism...BUT I'M NOT HUNGRY! I don't know why it is that I cannot lose weight unless I starve myself, but then it messes with my metabolism (which is horrible to begin with) I feel lost, don't know what to do...why should I eat if I'm not hungry? GAH! Frustrating, I tell ya!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OK, here are a few things.

First of all, if you're undereating by enough to go into starvation mode, the first symptom of starvation mode you will experience is your appetite will disappear.

So, how to eat more if you're not hungry? Here are a few tips:

eat higher calorie foods. (for example, instead of nonfat cheese, have some real cheese.)

drink some calories. A glass of milk goes down easy, and takes care of a few hundred calories.

eat smaller amounts, but eat more often.

Best of luck in reaching your goals.:flowerforyou:
  • loveangel729
    loveangel729 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think that its just we are trained while we diet to eat less and eat everything low fat and such that its hard to think that you still need SOME of the calories...
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Before I started MFP a couple of months ago I was rarely ever hungry. I could literally go all day; sometimes days and not be hungry. No granted, I ate, but not because I was hungry. I was in a very bad habit of days of starvation level calories followed by emotional binges. Now I purposely eat more on a consistent basis than I have in years, and it significantly cut down on the binges. Now I'm actually hungry when I wake up in the morning. Hunger is your body's way of communicating with you and I've learned if you aren't hungry periodically, something is out of wack. I was afraid my metabolism was "broken" but it only took a few weeks for things to start straightening out. I was really nervous at first - just seemed wrong to be eating more, but it's working for me - lost 20 pounds so far.:smile: Good luck.:smile:
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Before I started MFP a couple of months ago I was rarely ever hungry. I could literally go all day; sometimes days and not be hungry. No granted, I ate, but not because I was hungry. I was in a very bad habit of days of starvation level calories followed by emotional binges. Now I purposely eat more on a consistent basis than I have in years, cut out the binges, and have lost 20 pounds. I was really nervous at first - just seemed wrong to be eating more, but it's working for me. :smile:

:drinker: I'll drink to that...I, too, could go all day without eating...BUT, I have lost 10 pounds by keeping it at or near 1200 calories eaten each day.....and I was skeptical at first, but it really does work....so EAT!!!:smile: