lifting heavy and knee pain??

Options
So, I have been exercising really regularly for about 9 months (I have, historically, been a runner but got injured and took a break that turned into a much longer "break" than intended). I started with spin classes, then started running, then added in weight training (mostly using machines at the gym + abs, etc).

Well, I just started trying weighted squats. I did some last week one day, and then I did some yesterday. I am pretty confident I have good form and my knees are not going over my toes, etc... but last night and today, my left knee has really hurt when I bend down (e.g. to get something off the bottom shelf of the fridge, get in/out of the car, sit down, etc). It's a pretty sharp pain in my knee. It is less intense today than it was last night.

I am pretty sure I didn't "damage" my knee, but I'm wondering if this means something: a) trying too much weight on the squats; b) it's just the process of strengthening the muscles around the knee in a new way that's causing some pain; c) I'm not stretching properly... ??

Any ideas on what might be causing it, or what I can do? (I'd hate to give up doing the weighted squats as I think they really are going to make a difference in my appearance and strength, etc... but I'd also hate to go around with knee pain if I don't have to...)

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Ice it, if you aren't already, and maybe give it a couple rest days before you do weighted squats again. Next time you could try a lower weight to see if that helps. Ask an employee at the gym to check out your form to make sure you are doing them correctly.

I hurt my knee a couple years ago, and it will occasionally ache when I do squats, but it's usually better in a day or two. If yours isn't feeling better within a couple days, you may want to go see a doctor to make sure it isn't something more serious.

ETA: How heavy are we talking here? Do you use dumbbells or a bar? If you have a bar, did you start with that to get form down and slowly add weight over a few weeks, or did you put heavy plates on it right away?
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Ice it, if you aren't already, and maybe give it a couple rest days before you do weighted squats again. Next time you could try a lower weight to see if that helps. Ask an employee at the gym to check out your form to make sure you are doing them correctly.

I hurt my knee a couple years ago, and it will occasionally ache when I do squats, but it's usually better in a day or two. If yours isn't feeling better within a couple days, you may want to go see a doctor to make sure it isn't something more serious.

ETA: How heavy are we talking here? Do you use dumbbells or a bar? If you have a bar, did you start with that to get form down and slowly add weight over a few weeks, or did you put heavy plates on it right away?

Thanks - I will ice it tonight (and right after I do them the next time, which will likely be Thursday).

I was doing the 55 lb bar + 20 lbs (10 lbs on each side). The first time I tried it, I had a gym person help me set up the machine, etc. and I tried just the bar by itself. The employee watched me, helped me set my feet, told me where to look, etc., and I could do 15 pretty easily, so he showed me how to up it just a bit. I had been doing the leg press at about 175 lbs, so I had some underlying leg strength already. But, maybe I should go back to just the bar for awhile? (the bar + 20 lbs makes it so I was doing 12-10-8, and by the end, it was pretty challenging, but I was able to maintain good form - at least I think I was...)
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but try some omega 3 if you don't already. I had really sore knees for a while after I started lifting and the Dr suggested it, I feel fine now.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Joint Juice has made a huge difference in my knee pain. I have bad knees following many years of playing softball as a catcher. I have to be super careful with my form too: make sure you are pressing into your heels, and I found that my right knee was pulling in which caused my pain. Have a trainer spot you, or take a video so you can see for yourself.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options

Thanks - I will ice it tonight (and right after I do them the next time, which will likely be Thursday).

I was doing the 55 lb bar + 20 lbs (10 lbs on each side). The first time I tried it, I had a gym person help me set up the machine, etc. and I tried just the bar by itself. The employee watched me, helped me set my feet, told me where to look, etc., and I could do 15 pretty easily, so he showed me how to up it just a bit. I had been doing the leg press at about 175 lbs, so I had some underlying leg strength already. But, maybe I should go back to just the bar for awhile? (the bar + 20 lbs makes it so I was doing 12-10-8, and by the end, it was pretty challenging, but I was able to maintain good form - at least I think I was...)

For myself, my knee aches frequently, and I just deal with it. I ice it when it does hurt, but I know when it feels that way it will be back to (my) normal within a day or two. I have been to a doctor & physio, so I know why and where it is weak.

Now I'm NOT recommending everyone just work through pain, because you definitely don't want to permanently mess up your joints! If I were you, I would ice & rest, then go back & try just the bar. If that feels good, add a bit more weight. Try that & adjust if needed. If the pain persists or gets worse, definitely go to a doctor.