Body Bug...HRM....Questions

Options
I am looking for an accurate way to determine how many calories I burn during the day.
I do a lot of walking and lifting at work, and I have no way to log/record that.

I have been reading about 'BodyBug'? What is it? How does it compare to a heart rate monitor?
What would be best to get? hich one do you have, why?
Do I have to pay monthly to use either one? Which one is more
affordable and where can I get one?

Sorry for the gazillion questions :) Thanks in advance for your help!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    To wear it all day a HRM would not be accurate, you would need to use the body bug
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I use a GoWearFit (Now called BodyMedia Fit) - same thing as a body bugg. I also have a HRM. A Bodybugg measures your calories through means other than your heart rate - such as motion, skin temperature, and a few more scientific things that I can't remember at the moment. Check out www.bodymediafit.com for a better explanation of how it works. Yes, there is a monthly fee to access the website, which is required to use the product. (You download data from the device to the product.) However, I only pay 6.99 a month or something close to that - the equivalent of 2 cups of starbuck's coffee - I think it's worth it!!

The Bodybugg is designed to be worn all day - even to bed. I take it off for about an hour a day to charge it and to shower. It can't be worn swimming - if you swim a lot, a HRM might be better.

I went with the Bodybugg over a HRM because I wanted a picture of my calories burned all day, not just while exercising. Both the HRM and bodybugg are accurate while exercising, but the Bodybugg is designed to be more accurate for estimating casual activity - though it does have a higher error range than during constant exercise. (+/- 10% vs +/- 5%) In the end, they are all only estimates.

I love numbers and love seeing my calories graphed for the whole day. It also tells me how much I actually sleeped and counts my steps. If you're not interested in wearing it all day (or most of the day), then you'll definitely want to just go with a HRM or you'll be wasting your money.

Edited to add: I just noticed you specifically said you want to wear it most of the day - HRM's aren't meant to be accurate while doing casual activity like walking around at work, so you'll probably want to go with a BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit if that is your goal (rather than just estimating exercise calories).
  • belfastbiker
    belfastbiker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am looking for an accurate way to determine how many calories I burn during the day.
    I do a lot of walking and lifting at work, and I have no way to log/record that.

Yup, I've a bodybugg and a good HRM.

Use a HRM for measuring heart rate (and optionally, distance, speed, pace, GPS position, cadence), and a Bodybugg for measuring calories.

It usually has a yearly or monthly cost though.

I stopped using mine though, but I DO recommend it. I stick to certain variable calorie limits now, regardless of exercise.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. Thanks.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    GoFitWear is coming out with a new model that can upload to your iphone.. :noway:

I love mine and use it all the time. It's fun to see how many calories you burn just doing your normal acitivities.

It's a bit pricey (I got mine as a gift) but if you can swing it's really worth it.
  • msrjmcp
    msrjmcp Posts: 14
    Options
    HRM's aren't meant to be accurate while doing casual activity

Why are HRM's not meant to be accurate while doing casual activity? Or not meant to be worn all the time? If it is accurate measuring your heart rate and calories burned during aerobic or general work outs, why is it not accurate during less active periods? I don't understand why...
  • Dbrigham78
    Options
    Check this one out. Its called Fit Bit. I have a few friends that have this and love it. I plan to get one myself.

http://www.fitbit.com/
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
  • Ponpress05
    Options
    I was just looking the fitbit up today!! Pretty cool, and less than bodybug!!
  • Dbrigham78
    Options
    The bodybugg is expensive.

I asked for the Fitbit for Mothers day, lol. We'll see.
  • Ponpress05
    Options
    I'll wait until you get it..lol I usually pick out all my gardening flowers on mom's day..lol It's a tradition I've created.
  • msrjmcp
    msrjmcp Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you for the tip!:happy: