The Biggest Loser show seems to contradict what were taught

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    The thing is in a show like this the contestants forgo any kind of "real" life in order to compete in weight loss. You would be surprised how much nutrition you can fit into 800 - 1100 calories if you want to get really really anal about it. They paid absolutely no attention to the habits and/or preferences of the contestants outside of weight loss and the diet/exercise regime was tailored to burn burn burn. That's fine on a reality game show. But for people who have lives to lead outside of their diets such an approach is next to impossible. Nor is it mentally or physically healthy. The risk of injury is extreme to say the least.

And to be honest I have always believed that loose skin after dieting is often the result of a lack of exercise or lack of proper nutrition during dieting. Everyone shouts me down but frankly I believe this to be the case.

So yeah their approach isn't impossible. If you want to live and breath your diet. And measure out exactly the right amount of exactly the right things and never deviate from that ever. Oh and get absolute shed-loads of exercise all the time.

BUT the caveat is that you run the risk of injuries and developing eating disorders because of it.

Also if that interview I read has any truth to it then yeah lol if u wanna be treated like an animal for 6 months to lose weight and end up injured and broken ... but thin at the end of it ... then go right ahead.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    its all about RATINGS.............

the more people that watch it , the more sponsorship, the more MONEY

MONEY is their agenda, its not about the contestants............

if people on that show only lost between 1 to 2 lbs a week, no one would watch .....it would be too boring

they love DRAMA, and RATINGS.................

so theres your answer to your 5 questions............RATINGS..........
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Their diets are very carefully monitored behind the scenes, so the calories they do take in are very thoroughly planned out.

Loose skin is a very individual thing, and can't really be attributed to any one way of losing weight, as far as I know.

So long as you lose more fat than LBM, your bodyfat percentage will drop. That's not to say they don't lose a lot of muscle, though.

Morbid obesity is bad for your health. Not being morbidly obese is going to be better for you 9 out of 10 times, no matter how you got there. The problem is more to do with long term sustainability of their diets, and potential degenerative issues later down the line; osteoperosis is one that comes to mind.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    This guy again.

My thoughts exactly.
    seriously.

stop-posting.jpg
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    You have to keep in mind a few things. One, starvation mode in a strict sense is myth. However, I do believe that calorie cutting isn't directly linear -- that there is a sweet spot for weight loss for most people, and cutting below that can actually impede your results due to hormonal shifts and impaired performance. I think this is the idea where starvation mode was born and was taken too far to the extreme.

Secondly, BL has a HUGE amount of exercise -- those guys are literally doing 4-12 hours of working out per day. It's their job. It's not a good model for that reason alone, unless you're independently wealthy and have the time to do that.

Some BL contestants most definitely have had loose skin after major weight loss. Not all, but definitely some of them -- especially around the midsection and upper arms.

You can lose a lot of weight by merely starving yourself -- just not eating on a prolonged fast. But, it's not a very good idea either. That's the reason that the BL contestants have to be monitored so closely by health professionals. What they're doing is really extreme.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I live every aspect of my life as if it were reality television.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Most people on the forums make recommendations based on what's likely to be sustainable, rather than how aggressive it's possible to push your weight loss in a healthy fashion (or otherwise). While it's entirely possible to put together a diet and exercise routine that will allow you to drop weight quickly while largely preserving lean mass, these plans are typically not enjoyable and lead to people falling offtrack before long. For most people, it's about finding a balance between what's sustainable and making progress towards your goals.

That said, they come out shredded? Seriously? They certainly come out leaner and sometimes look fairly athletic, but they're no where close to "ripped and shredded."
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

PREACH!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    No, the reality is much simpler. Nutrition is bullsh*t.

My 3 month old daughter needs only milk to thrive and have the energy to get through the day, and the contestants, and anyone else with that level of bodyfat...

Will use the stores of fatty acids on their body as food. So long as essential vitamins and minerals are ingested, along with essential amino acids, you don't need to eat.

There was a 400 pound man in the 70's who fasted for 380 days under doctor's supervision. Couple missteps in refeeding him, but he got to 180 or something like that, and to this day he's slightly overweight, not obese like he used to be.

What we NEED for nutrition is only what this magnificent machine requires.

Most of the starvation mode, eating to fuel, it's all hype.

Coma patients exist on protien powder with added carbs and fats, in a shake, fed through a feeding tube.

I mean, honestly, the fact that we all haven't woken up to this realization before now is astounding. At least, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm ashamed of myself for not following common sense.

ETA: eat for your body. Eat what you like. And if you start to gain fat, change your diet slightly, and find what works for you. If you want to lose weight for a boxing match or to look thinner, the principles are the same. You are what you eat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

My 3 month old daughter needs only milk to thrive and have the energy to get through the day, and the contestants, and anyone else with that level of bodyfat...

Will use the stores of fatty acids on their body as food. So long as essential vitamins and minerals are ingested, along with essential amino acids, you don't need to eat.

There was a 400 pound man in the 70's who fasted for 380 days under doctor's supervision. Couple missteps in refeeding him, but he got to 180 or something like that, and to this day he's slightly overweight, not obese like he used to be.

Coma patients exist on protien powder with added carbs and fats, in a shake, fed through a feeding tube.

I mean, honestly, the fact that we all haven't woken up to this realization before now is astounding. At least, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm ashamed of myself for not following common sense.

Huh?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

ETA: eat for your body. Eat what you like. And if you start to gain fat, change your diet slightly, and find what works for you. If you want to lose weight for a boxing match or to look thinner, the principles are the same. You are what you eat.

Was about to click the X on this thread...

...but then I saw this post...

...and now I'm in.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    It being a tv show doesn't mean it didn't happen. Well, a 'week' might be 10-14 days on BL. But they lost the weight at the overall rate we see-- less than a year for it all.

If someone posts their story on MFP about how they lost 350lbs. in 18 months and runs marathons now they're roundly applauded (as they should be). But if someone posts at the beginning of that kind of weight loss, or the middle, they're ridiculed for doing it wrong. :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

...and now I'm in.

YOu understood this? Please, explain to me. Does this mean I can live on milk and protein shakes? So confused.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

I live mine like a japanese game show.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

you don't need to eat.

You are what you eat.

This is all I got from that.

But if I don't eat. I am nothing D:
  • Siege_Tank

Huh?

to put it simply, everything that comes out of a nutritionists mouth is opinion, not science.

simply put, NO one knows if eating less processed sources, more raw sources of different foods which contain different levels of nutrients all in different bio-available forms are any better or worse for us than a multivitamin, which have been argued to be almost worthless.

"You need to eat nutritious food, clean calories, and cut out the empty calories."

But, why can't I enjoy a coke with some Jack at the end of my day, and plan out my 2000 calorie diet around that? If I eat a multivitamin and greens throughout my week..

There was a guy in kansas, wanted to prove his students wrong, so he ate chips and little debbies and junk, but in a calorie deficit, and he lost weight. In fact, all his markers for health at his physical afterwards had improved.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

It doesn't matter what you eat, your body will break down the complex carbs into simple glucose, and send that into your bloodstream. It doesn't matter if you eat an apple or a snack cake (albeit the sources and ratios of the types of sugar will be different, the effect on calories is the same... hmm....)

protein powder vs meat

bread vs no carbs.

it doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how much you eat, in terms of energy. You can count calories if you want, but I just watch the scale over time.

Did that make more sense?

ETA: Bombshell, I meant we should eat what we want, and we should all choose to refrain from overeating. As to HOW each of us comes to Jesus, I don't really think I'm an authority to tell someone else how to eat, I dunno what they like. Less processed food has less calories in it though, and that will make it easier for someone to stick to a calorie goal..
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member

you don't need to eat.

You are what you eat.

This is all I got from that.

But if I don't eat. I am nothing D:

giphy.gif
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member

...and now I'm in.

YOu understood this? Please, explain to me. Does this mean I can live on milk and protein shakes? So confused.

Whew, glad I wasn't the only one!!! I was reading it and everything glazed over!!!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    1) We are taught that eating too few of calories will result in "starvation" mode and our body will hold onto weight. On the show, contestants afterwards spoke about eating 800 to 1100 calories per day and yet they consistently would lose 5 to 20 pounds per week. Obviously they exercised endlessly. But no "starvation" mode...

2) We are taught that if you lose weight too fast, skin will just hang around. Last years winner (and many winners before that) lost 150+ pounds in 6 months -- yet her skin wasn't hanging. What gives?

3) We are taught that you must eat lots of protein to retain muscle mass. I can't imagine them getting much protein on 800 calories per day, yet they look ripped and shredded by the end of the 6 months. I wonder how?

4) On the same tone as #3, we are taught that we must have proper nutrition to lose weight. Once again, I'm not sure how they're getting proper nutrition on 800 to 1100 calories a day? Especially the big guys. Yet they consistently drop pounds.

5) We are told that it is dangerous to lose more than an average of 2 pounds per week. Yet these people lose on average around 6 pounds per week and at the end their bodyfat testing, blood, etc are all much better than at the beginning. Or perhaps they paid off the doctors to give a misleading result. I dont know.

I want to be clear that I am NOT claiming the Biggest Loser way to be healthy, or the "right/ideal" way to lose weight. It just seems like they have sorta disproved some of the theories that get repeated on this forum.

Or maybe i'm just missing something - which is entirely possible.

What you are missing is probably the biggest (no pun intended) most important aspect: these are people are who BIG! Like they need to lose 100 lbs, not 10.

People who haven't been in this situation may or may not know this but when you have a big, big, big amount of weight to lose you drop weight really quickly. For example, I am 5'9 and I started at 320lbs.I am not proud of this fact, but it happened. Within the first month I dropped 15lbs but then it took another 6 weeks to lose 10 and keep it off. When you have that much weight to lose, the first 10% or maybe even 25% will come off really quick.

There are also personal trainers and people making their meals for them on that show. I am not saying it's ok, I am just saying that when you have someone telling you what to do it makes it a lot easier than going to research it on your own and figuring that out.

Plus - starvation mode in the sense you described is a myth. If you're in a caloric deficit you will lose weight - now that weight will be fat and lean body mass, but you will still lose.
  • Siege_Tank

Whew, glad I wasn't the only one!!! I was reading it and everything glazed over!!!

Seriously guys? It's plain engrish!

But my mind is really fragmented lately.. blame it on the baby air horn that disrupts my train of thought. I'm sorry it came out of my mouth sideways, But I'm pretty sure it's all there...

ETA: Nope, I forgot to tie it all back in to the TV show. They're overweight and obese, and so long as they take vitamins and the 9 essential amino acids that the human body needs to function (which it can't produce itself out of fat and protien stores), then honestly, the contestants could eat as little as they could stand.

The less you eat the more you lose, because the body costs X number of calories each day. I don't think those results can be duplicated outside of that ranch, but it's not super human, it's just strict adherence to a Very Low Calorie Diet.