setting myself up for failure?

Options
Hi, ive started to exercise this week recently, pretty much started on monday actually. I feel like im failing because i cant seem to make any progress at all. I keep looking at my calories and im very OCD and i feel like im going to go over and i just feel like i cant do it now. I know im not working out to my fullest extent, im am a beginner to this and ive been working out with the 7 minute workout which is an app i have on my phone. Before people criticize me about how im not actually getting a full workout.... IM AWARE. i know its not the best but i just need something to get me going right now. I dont have a gym membership because im not really in the state to get one. I plan on adding some running starting next week, but i wanted to just get myself going this week. Is there something i can do? something....anything really. I feel like im two days in and sinking.

Replies

• dramagirl1
    dramagirl1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Try walking! It's free, you get outside and get some fresh air, and if you power walk i'm sure you will burn more calories than a 7 minute workout app.

Good luck!
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    dont get discouraged, it is very tough to stay on track, you can do it for sure. Walking/ jogging is great and easy exersize , also if you do not want to leave the house, just put on your shoes and walk on the spot
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    so you've been doing this a little over a day, and you are ready to give up?

how much progress were you expecting in a day?

here's an idea - instead of saying you "started" yesterday, take a week to figure things out. Don't really change your diet yet, but track it to see how much you were consuming normally. Then look at your week and see where you can make eliminations and/or substitutions to reduce the number of calories.

do the same with the exercise. Gauge about how many calories a variety of things burn and then when you are ready to start next week (or 2), then you have some base of knowledge and a plan.

you don't have to have a gym membership. you just have to have a little determination and persistence.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    keep doing what you're doing. a 7-minute workout is still 7 minutes more than you were working out before. instead of starting in on runs next week, just start walking, today. every day. it doesn't have to be a long walk -- say, 20 minutes to start. then, if you really want to add running, try couch-to-5K (C25K) and ease into it slowly so you don't get injured. whatever you do for exercise, pick something you enjoy doing, and you'll be more likely to stick with it.

you're probably not going to notice a lot of difference in two days, except maybe soreness in places you weren't sore before, or sleeping a little more soundly at night. it takes time.

good for you for taking that first step!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    1) Just breathe!!!
    You sound a little overwhelmed.

2) 90% of weight loss is diet. If that's all you can handle this week, then just focus on that. When you think you can handle more, start with something you think you can handle. (how about yoga?)

3) Some days you will go over your calorie goal. Some days you won't hit your macros. Guess what? Its ok.
    Every single person on this board has had days that didn't work out.
    Tomorrow is another day. Start fresh.....
  • michaeldowns3133
    Options
    Sure there's someyhibg u can do...Walk! It's easy costs nothing and it's not so hard on the joints. 20 minutes of brisk walking burns about 100-120 calories. It's my main workout. Before i came here bout a week ago I've lost 30 lbs, and since I've been here I've lost 5 more. And just watch those portion sizes. THATS IT. You can do this. Just don't over complicate things. GOOD LUCK!!
  • Nic123fitness
    Nic123fitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree with everyone else on here, just stay positive and actually do your 7 mins. Thats just what Ive done, Ive started today too, so also new on here. Good luck..
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that this is an experiment. "If I do x, then I get result y". You can't fail at an experiment! Try different things and see what works. You will learn things that last a lifetime, so don't worry if you don't figure it all out in the first two days, or weeks, or even months! Just showing up is the biggest hurdle, and you're doing that.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try walking! It's free, you get outside and get some fresh air, and if you power walk i'm sure you will burn more calories than a 7 minute workout app.

Good luck!

Walk walk walk - its the best thing you can do!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some walking videos on youtube you could do. Start off with the one mile one. It's only 20 minutes long. Do what you can do of it every day until you can do the whole thing. You have to start somewhere and you don't necessarily have to go to a gym to get a good work out and there are also pilates videos on there as well. Just give those a try.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Sure there's someyhibg u can do...Walk! It's easy costs nothing and it's not so hard on the joints. 20 minutes of brisk walking burns about 100-120 calories. It's my main workout. Before i came here bout a week ago I've lost 30 lbs, and since I've been here I've lost 5 more. And just watch those portion sizes. THATS IT. You can do this. Just don't over complicate things. GOOD LUCK!!

i have lost most of my weight via walking and watching my calories. i have a fitbit and mfp and that's pretty much what i have used... oh, and my music, of course :-) can't forget that.
  • jgsimon1
    jgsimon1 Posts: 61
    Options

This
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Walk 5 miles a day, or as much if you can if that's too far physically. If your calories are controlled, weight will melt off you in coming weeks/months.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You are only setting yourself up for failure if you think you are. 7 minute workout seems like a good place to start, but it's not going to give you much in the way of progress, especially not after 1 day. Losing weight is all about calories. Calories in vs. calories out and you get to have some more calories if you burn a few extra along the way. Use the app to help get a base level of fitness and then start to expand a little bit as you gain fitness. You don't have to join a gym, there are lots of bodyweight workouts available that are completely free (I use Spartacus, which requires minimal equipment and is available as a free PDF), but it can be a very difficult workout if you don't have a base built already. Walking and running only require time and shoes. Check out C25K if you think running something you are interested in. Remember though, you are going to burn about 600 calories per hour doing strenuous exercise. At that rate you'd have to work out an hour a day 6 days per week to lose a pound if you are eating at maintenance. Your 7 minutes is not going to parlay into huge results for a while. Use is as a base and keep building. Most importantly - keep track of calories and stay on progress with the program.
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    so you've been doing this a little over a day, and you are ready to give up?

how much progress were you expecting in a day?

here's an idea - instead of saying you "started" yesterday, take a week to figure things out. Don't really change your diet yet, but track it to see how much you were consuming normally. Then look at your week and see where you can make eliminations and/or substitutions to reduce the number of calories.

do the same with the exercise. Gauge about how many calories a variety of things burn and then when you are ready to start next week (or 2), then you have some base of knowledge and a plan.

you don't have to have a gym membership. you just have to have a little determination and persistence.

^^This
    You won't get results overnight. Fat won't just fall off your body because you wish it would. "Fat-loss" takes time and dedication. Commit to making small but healthy changes at a time that way you're more likely to stick with it.
    Most important point: NEVER GIVE UP! You will have bad days and you will have good days but you're only human, so just keep at it.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Youtube has free workouts, download the app if you don't have it already. Walking burns a ton of calories, especially if you're in a hilly park. If you have a bike, that's great exercise and fun too. Swimming can kill lots of calories. If you are worried about working out in public (seems like lots of people do), try the Leslie Sansone walk at home program (Youtube). Good luck.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I personally liked dancing like a crazy person (like you can only do at home) after blasting some songs or station for as long as you can stand. It is free and fun! The key is finding some music that you like and gets you pumped and moving.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Put on some music at home and dance out your frustration!! Heck, it will probably put you in a good mood too! You'll get your body moving, no expectations or pressure, and just have fun with it! I guarantee you will burn some calories AND feel MUCH better afterword! Sing and dance!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    1) Just breathe!!!
    You sound a little overwhelmed.

2) 90% of weight loss is diet. If that's all you can handle this week, then just focus on that. When you think you can handle more, start with something you think you can handle. (how about yoga?)

3) Some days you will go over your calorie goal. Some days you won't hit your macros. Guess what? Its ok.
    Every single person on this board has had days that didn't work out.
    Tomorrow is another day. Start fresh.....
    ! Yes!