Exercise calories

Options
Hi according to my exercise machine and garmin I burnt a lot of calories today around 1500 I did what it said on the site to eat what you have exercised that meant today I had to eat 2700 calories ! This is my first day is this correct?

Replies

• BonworthVonFattyPants
    BonworthVonFattyPants Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    IT'S A TRAP!

Just stick to your dietary plans.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Hi according to my exercise machine and garmin I burnt a lot of calories today around 1500 I did what it said on the site to eat what you have exercised that meant today I had to eat 2700 calories ! This is my first day is this correct?

What does the Garmin measure? Total activity?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    what exactly did you do that you burn 1500 calories? I'm going to go out on a limb and say your burn is inflated. I have to ride about 40-45 miles on my bike to get a burn like that and that's most certainly not an every day occurrence...but you can bet your *kitten* I chow down when I do.

When estimating calories burned and doing the MFP method, I never ate back more than the equivalent of 10 calories per minute...because it's really hard to burn much more than that, and that is a sustained level of effort for which you could not hold a conversation...most people cannot sustain that level of effort consistently for long.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, the site is designed for you to log your workouts and eat back the extra calories you earn. But, you have to be careful that you're getting an accurate picture of the number of calories you're burning. MFP estimates and gym machine readouts have a tendency to overestimate, so be careful about eating all of your extra calories if you're relying on these.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    what exactly did you do that you burn 1500 calories? I'm going to go out on a limb and say your burn is inflated. I have to ride about 40-45 miles on my bike to get a burn like that and that's most certainly not an every day occurrence...but you can bet your *kitten* I chow down when I do.

When estimating calories burned and doing the MFP method, I never ate back more than the equivalent of 10 calories per minute...because it's really hard to burn much more than that, and that is a sustained level of effort for which you could not hold a conversation...most people cannot sustain that level of effort consistently for long.

That's why I was wondering if his Garmin is tracking total activity through the day. It seems like either something is being counted more than once or the estimates are extremely high.