Bag of kale in fridge...

Options
Has a sell by date of July 6. I just opened it, theres a little bit of water and is mildly fragrant. Can I still eat it?

Edit :The kale comes from Glory so its already chopped to bits!

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of kale, but for lettuce I'll eat it if is still crisp and not wilted, and if it is green and not too brown.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    Fresh kale lasts 1-2 weeks.

"When kale begins to age, it will loose it’s bright green color and begin turning a yellowish color. The best way to tell if your kale is going bad is to look at the leaves. Always remove the stems from your kale before using. The fiber is so thick in the stems that it can cause digestive problems. "
  • rossraskolnikov
    rossraskolnikov Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking it, should be fine.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Is it wilted/changing color? If so, I'd toss it. Otherwise, I think you're ok. Cooking it as kale chips might be one solution. I sometimes freeze my kale for short periods of time if needed to extend the life a few days and it also compresses it a little before I blend it (also my smoothies are colder if I freeze the kale for a little while). I really don't eat kale past the expire dates unless I'm taking it directly from my freezer. But sell by date may be different.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Going forward I find that the best way to store kale/collards/mustard greens/etc. is to buy them whole rather than prechopped, line the bottom of the fridge bin with a couple paper towels and lay them on that. Plastic bags + leafy greens = heart break and lost dollars. If you aren't crazy like me and buy them by the binful, then you can do the same with a large tupperware tub.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I had that same bag. I got tired of looking at it eventually and roasted it all. Then threw it away because it was pretty gross, and decided to quit buying kale. :laugh:

I loaded a smoothie full of fresh spinach that was a little past its prime recently and had some bad effects from it, stomach-wise. It was a pretty good 'cleanse', though. :sick: So for that reason, too, I'd toss the kale out.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've never bought the bagged kale, but frequently buy the bunches. Kale way outlasts any other lettuce in my fridge; I've seen it still perfectly fresh at 2 weeks.
  • KatieSvelte
    Options
    Honestly no a huge Kale fan, but I do use in monster smoothies on occasion.