Is low carb an effective diet with a low activity level?

Options
2»

Replies

• sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The most effective diet is the diet in which you asre eating fewer calories than you are expending. Whatever you fill that diat with, as long as you're in a deficit, will be effective in helping you lose weight.

Carbs are not evil. They are not bad. They are food, and a macronutrient, which means your body needs lots of them to function optimally. Don't cut them out, there is no need.

My body needs lots of carbs to function optimally??? I would beg to differ.
  • lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    Options
    ah thank you...so my TDEE is 1545...this means to lose weight I need to somehow balance my fat/protein/calories to reach around 1400? In order to lose weight...It is a bit difficult to say no to fruit, because I eat fruit religiously and pre POCS I would munch on fruit all day every day, but since my activity level is going to be low now too, I need to watch it...stick with berries for now, and in extreme moderation...what food are high in protein and not so high in fat? Any that comes to my mind is high in carbs!

Lean meats (chicken, fish, tenderloin cuts, etc.) tend to be lower in fat and high protein. Fattier cuts of meats tend to swing the other way, with more fat (no brainer there :smile:) and less protein per calorie.

I'm far from an expert on PCOS, but I do know several ladies that have had success going "lower" carb but they don't go all the way to a ketogenic diet. Given your fondness for fruit, I'd try to find a happy medium between setting a lower carb macro but still eating the foods you enjoy (e.g., 100-150g of carbs per day, rather than ketogenic levels which tend to be around 30g per day). Don't be afraid to experiment with different macros.

thank you for that...Today so far I've had 80g of carbs and I think I'll call it a day...I've had some berries and nuts, so it should be ok! I have been put back on the pill now from this month by the GP in order to kick start my system again into starting periods again...so hopefully once that starts, my PCOS should take a turn for better! (Fingers cross!) and from next month I can start exercising too! I don't think I can live on 20/30g carbs a day...it makes me dizzy just thinking about it! I think I have to compromise somewhere around 60-70!
  • lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    Options
    Illka, I think the easiest way for you to learn about low carb diets is to have someone bring you the Atkins diet book. You need to read the whole book, don't just stop after reading about induction.

You don't really need to do the induction phase and since you have an injury I'd suggest you don't. Just pick a carb level that you know is less than what you eat when not dieting, and try that for starters.

Atkins isn't the only low-carb diet, but it's the prototype and can give you good basic knowledge to apply to whatever reduced-carb diet fits you best.

I might just do that and educate myself, since now I am not moving about, I have plenty of time to read! I shall get myself a copy (Anyway, more time spent reading, means less time spent eating or thinking of eating haha!)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I will repeat what I posted in your other thread here, in case you missed it. You have a broken bone. Your body is rebuilding large amounts of tissue. It is inappropriate for you to eat at a deficit to your normal caloric needs at this time. Your TDEE while healing can increase almost beyond belief. An active person who may normally need 2,500 calories a day to maintain weight, may need as much as 6,500 calories a day to maintain weight even while bedridden from multiple fractures.

Focus on getting extra protein (bone healing requires a lot of amino acids) and nutrient and mineral dense foods (liver is a good one, leafy green veggies are another, sardines are excellent too).

If you choose to ignore this advice, you'll slow the healing of your bone as well as lose more lean body mass than you should (you body will tear down muscle in order to get the materials needed to rebuild the bone).

Eat, at the very minimum, your normal maintenance calories. Monitor your weight daily. If you are losing weight rapidly (more than 1 lb a week) even eating at maintenance, add some extra calories. Health first, weight loss second.