Exercise program: no results yet?

Options
I am 62, overweight, with fibromyalgia and chronic back pain. I started an exercise program primarily because my doctors said I needed strength and cardiovascular improvement, with weight loss a great side effect.

9/15/13: I started a water fitness class (low impact a necessity for me). I didn't go to it faithfully, probably 1.5 hours average per week.

4/9/14: I have been attending the water fitness class faithfully 3 times per week, 1 hour classes, half aerobics, half core strength. I am attending a muscular strength and range of movement class 2 times per week, 1 hour classes. I occasionally attend a flexibility and core strength class, but as of now, it is still to painful to do regularly.

As of today, I do not feel or see any results. Every class is like the first time I ever did it as far as keeping up with the program and the aftermath of aches and pains. I don't feel stronger or more flexible; I do not have more stamina; I am moving less easily because of the added pain; my sleep (already bad) is worse for the same reason; I have not lost pounds or inches.

Given that I was in lousy shape to start, am I too impatient? Should I consult a professional and if so, what kind? Doctors are not much help after saying "Do this!".

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything in your diet as well? If you're eating too many calories it won't matter how much you exercise.

Feel free to friend me, maybe we can figure it out! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything in your diet as well? If you're eating too many calories it won't matter how much you exercise.

^^^ This in respect to weight loss. You can lose weight without exercising, just consume fewer calories than you expend.

Exercise promotes fitness and health, given that your attendance was inconsistent until a few months ago I would be surprised if you were seeing very much in the way of gains in this short of time; unfortunately, as we get older it seems that we have to work twice as hard to see half the results but don't let that discourage you - consider it a challenge!

I would, however, ask for a referral to a physiotherapist; your exercise program will normally give you the odd ache or slight pain as your body adapts but it may be that program you're doing right now isn't suited to your particular health needs.