Hot yoga...

Options
Hola.

I was wondering if anyone tried or is practicing hot yoga? I am practicing but the huge weight lost result it claims doesn't seem to be true. What is your experience?

thanks,
~ap

Replies

• RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    personally i think it is dangerous but i am no expert.... Really you are just shedding water so no actual weight loss when you replace your fluids. A few girls i know have tried it and one got quite sick after and took her a couple of days to recover from the heat. Nothing wrong with good old fashioned cardio i reckon.....
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    After a month of doing hot yoga 3x /week I found I firmed up ALOT, it's probably the water loss but you can definitely notice a difference. It's really good for your cardiovascular health, but at the same time EVERY time I went I felt like I was going to die. I've been practicing yoga for a while and after a month I still couldn't get used to the heat so I went back to regular yoga.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to Bikram yoga?
  • apbanana
    Options
    yes I am referring to Bikram. thanks for all the info!
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I did Bikram yoga regularly (1-2x/week) for several months. It always felt totally unpleasant during class ("WHY did I come here? Am I crazy??!!" etc.) but after every class, I felt incredibly energized and vibrant. It didn't have any amazing weight loss effects beyond what any other exercise does. Sure, you sweat buckets, but hopefully you are replacing that fluid with good clean water. It did help me firm up and it improved my flexibility, and perhaps most oddly, it cured a problem I'd had with my jaw for 15 years, where it would lock and pop and ache, but doing hot yoga made that problem and some other minor joint aches disappear. I stopped doing it because I like variety, and Bikram classes are the same 26 poses, in the same order, every class, so eventually I just got bored with it.