Eggnog is going to kill me!! (well, my diet anyway)

Options
Well, it's that time of year again... That time of year I like to call, "Eggnog Season." I'm a HUGE eggnog fan. I could drink gallons of the stuff. If I were in Canada, I would marry it. Yes, I love it that much.

Here's the problem: I'm in a house of 5, and I am also the only one who eats "healthy." My dad, on the other hand, loves ice cream and eggnog just about as much as I do, so it's ALWAYS here. The ice cream I can resist, but the eggnog is my absolute weak spot. I have already had a few glasses and it's only been a couple days.

I need to find a substitute, and FAST!! Does anybody have any recommendations as to what I can do to satisfy my eggnog urges? I swear it's gonna be the death of [my diet] if I don't!

Thanks,

Brian

Replies

• Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Its my weakness too!!! Try this.

No-Nonsense Nog

PER SERVING (1 cup): 98 calories, 2g fat, 382mg sodium, 13g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 6g sugars, 6g protein -- POINTS® value 2*

For those who like a traditional eggnog... without all the traditional calories and fat grams!

Ingredients:
    5 cups light vanilla soymilk
    1 small (4-serving) package sugar-free fat-free instant vanilla pudding mix
    6 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda)
    1 tsp. rum extract
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    Optional toppings: Fat Free Reddi-wip, cinnamon

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend on high speed until mixed thoroughly. Refrigerate in a covered container for at least a few hours to allow nog to thicken.

If you like, before serving, top each glass off with a squirt of Reddi-wip and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Yum time!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    if you like soymilk, you might try the silk soy nog. it tastes pretty good, and it definitely doesn't have as many calories as regular egg nog. other than that, i honestly have no idea :p
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    You can buy sugar free egg nog flavored syrup at www.davincigourmet.com and mix it with skim milk. It's also good in coffee. Not quite the same as the real thing but a low-cal substitute.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i will have to try some of these i'm a huge eggnog lover and the only one at my house that likes it
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Bump
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    HELL WITH IT!!!! I'm drinking egg nog..... I'm going to have an undersized breakfast and/or lunch to substitute my egg nog addiction.

How many glasses do you have per day?!?
  • Darkling
    Options
    Then there's the rum...
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    If you are a coffee drinker, someone gave me the idea of using a little of the egg nog as creamer so you still get the flavor.
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    Create a recipe in MFP! Then drink what you want! Now use your power and burn off those calories. Buy you a Tae Bo DVD and call it your EGG Nog blast with Billy. Do not give up what you love. That is the best part of the season.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Eggnog
    Low Calorie Recipe
    Ingredients:
    Two eggs, separated
    4 cups skim milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 teaspoons sugar substitute
    1/4 cup brandy
    Dash nutmeg

Directions:
    Combine the egg yolks and milk in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Cool.

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to the milk mixture, then add the vanilla, sugar substitute, and extract. Mix lightly. Cover and chill.

To serve, pour the eggnog into cups and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Servings size depends on size of glass used -- usually 6 to 8 ounces Eggnog.
  • holymolar
    Options
    Love egg nog (minus the rum. never had the alcohol version). Anywho, it's really the only time of year you can buy it. I say buy one small personal size bottle (8-12oz) to enjoy and that's it. Don't buy the large containers, otherwise you'll be tempted to over do it.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Silk (makers of soy milk) have a really good egg-nog substitute! That's how I get through the holidays.
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    OH MAN! I wasn't even thinking of eggnog. I love the Now I can almost taste it.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    OH MAN! I wasn't even thinking of eggnog. I love the Now I can almost taste it.

Ditto...

This is also my weeks spot. I can go through a half gal within a few hours of bringing it home
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

No-Nonsense Nog

PER SERVING (1 cup): 98 calories, 2g fat, 382mg sodium, 13g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 6g sugars, 6g protein -- POINTS® value 2*

For those who like a traditional eggnog... without all the traditional calories and fat grams!

Ingredients:
    1 tsp. rum extract
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend on high speed until mixed thoroughly. Refrigerate in a covered container for at least a few hours to allow nog to thicken.

If you like, before serving, top each glass off with a squirt of Reddi-wip and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Yum time!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS
    Many thank yous!
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    AWESOME!!!

GREAT ideas, I can't wait to try 'em out!

I didn't even know that Silk made Eggnog -- I'm ALL over that!! :bigsmile:

Many many thanks!!

~Brian
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    Create a recipe in MFP! Then drink what you want! Now use your power and burn off those calories. Buy you a Tae Bo DVD and call it your EGG Nog blast with Billy. Do not give up what you love. That is the best part of the season.
    "Eggnog blast with Billy" -- classic!!

I actually am doing cross-fit, which is a very intense anaerobic workout system. I'm burning calories ALL day long. Maybe I'll call mine, "Cross-fit and the crutch" ha ha! :wink:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    You buggers are making me want egg nog!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

No-Nonsense Nog

Ingredients:
    1 tsp. rum extract
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:

MAKES 5 SERVINGS
    Many thank yous!

sounds good