Am I really eating Way too Much????

Options
Hi...
So I finally logged in all my food intake today... and come to find out am consuming a total of 1950 calories per day... please do visit my diary if necessary... I don't think am eating junk food if anything am having rice, lentils, eggs, oatmeal, etc....
I jst started going to the gym about 3 weeks ago, but only been able to lose 2lbs.... I go to the gym M-F 30minutes that's really all I can push into my hectic schedule... is not easy being your kids choffer....
What exercises should I do to burn more calories??

Replies

• November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just because food is 'healthy' doesn't make it automatically low calorie. You still need to watch the amounts.

Your diary's still private so can't comment on specifics. But yeah - you can still take in too many calories on a diet of rice and lentils :)
  • kellyg_25
    kellyg_25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started on Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 about 3 weeks ago and have lost almost 7 lbs and about 1 1/2 to 2" everywhere. At 41 years old, I consider this as somewhat miraculous :-). Her workout is about 30 minutes a day, 5-6 days / week, and it's fantastic. I have been eating on average about 1400-1500 per day, and have been recording it using the MyFitnessPal app, which is great, and it's free! This has really helped me see how many calories I have consumed, and it is so quick to record your food once you use it a few times (This app even allowed me to scan one of those daily premade salads from Metro which makes recording your food intake a snap for those of us that are crazy busy).

With only 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, 1900 calories is too high if you are looking to lose weight. Your insides will thank you for the healthy food you are consuming, but you do need to be more mindful of the caloric value of them.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It's not just about how much you eat, it depends on your weight and activity level too. I lose weight on 2200 calories a day, but some people need less to lose weight. Your best bet is to find out how many calories you need in a day (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) and reduce from there.
  • Happylybre
    Happylybre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks I already change my dairy privacy.....
  • Happylybre
    Happylybre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful.. thanks
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    With only 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, 1900 calories is too high if you are looking to lose weight. Your insides will thank you for the healthy food you are consuming, but you do need to be more mindful of the caloric value of them.

Not necessarily. It depends on your size and the individual. I eat more than this, and do less exercise, and still lose weight. The important thing is to know how many calories YOU need.

OP = I find that I often underestimate portion sizes (are you measuring EVERYTHING?) You may be eating more than you think. Also, if you are eating back exercise calories (which you should do in my view) be aware that MFP tends to over estimate.

Good luck
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hi...
    So I finally logged in all my food intake today... and come to find out am consuming a total of 1950 calories per day... please do visit my diary if necessary... I don't think am eating junk food if anything am having rice, lentils, eggs, oatmeal, etc....
    I jst started going to the gym about 3 weeks ago, but only been able to lose 2lbs.... I go to the gym M-F 30minutes that's really all I can push into my hectic schedule... is not easy being your kids choffer....
    What exercises should I do to burn more calories??

How much do you have to lose? 2lbs in three weeks isn't bad if you aren't very overweight.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    your diary is private so I cant comment on what you are eating but it comes down to what mfp gives you plus any exercise calories you earn for the day. Eat at a deficit to lose weight. Its that simple. Keep logging your food each day and you will find ways to cut them calories. ITs trial and error as you go. At the gym do circuit training so you can get the most out of those 30mins. I would also suggest you do stuff with the kids at home or waiting on them to come out of where ever you chauffer them to. I also use vigourous house cleaning as my exercise every few days. There is always something to clean at the house. Cinderella the floors, flip the matthesses, change and wash and put away the bedding on all beds, clean and organize the pantry and fridge/freezer, etc.
  • psuskifan
    psuskifan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1) You are logging your calories, analyzing it, and going to the gym. That is amazing; the below may be able to help that.

2) You can eat a "healthy" lunch of some coconut, avocado, eggs, and almonds and come out of it with 700 calories consumed. If you are like me and generally eat the majority of calories at dinner (I know its bad) then that makes it tough to come out on top. Just keep doing what you are doing, enter and analyze... then adjust.

3) Your 30 minutes at the gym should eventually be psycho mode level of work out. It could be now, though right now you may be building stamina, strength, and confidence, but the goal should be extreme exertion for those times, like running for 10 minutes, elliptical for 20 minutes. While its better than nothing, walking for 15 minutes on the treadmill and a slow 15 minute sit down bike are not ideal.
  • kellyg_25
    kellyg_25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that it depends on the individual, but consuming 1950 calories/day in this case seems as though it's coming off to slowly for happlybre otherwise she wouldn't have posed this question. She said she is working out M-F for 30 minutes each day, and since this is the only amount of time she can spare in the gym, to me the solution would be to lower the caloric intake. I also agree with others saying that you need to find what works best for you, but a good place to start may be to reduce the calories for 1 or 2 weeks to see if you get any change and then take it from there.