I hate my dad!

Options
Ok, i dont really hate him,infact i love him to death, but gosh he does make me angery! I have been super good today, i had TONS of calories left, and i had planned on haveing a healthy dinner..but then he goes and makes super duper yummy shrimp gumbo!!! (well in his defense it was low fat) but i have no control when he makes stuff, i mean it's just SO FREAKING GOOD!!! grrr! im really more made at myself..i just needed to rant.. anyway, anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Gumbo isn't that bad, depending on how he made the roux. Aside from being higher in cholesterol and sodium, it is just veggies, water and meat.

Most roux's don't have that much flour and oil in them. So not that bad. Now I'm hungry.
  • DevineEssence
    Options
    MMMM! Gumbo I would love to have some!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    he didnt use a roux..and its the rice thats killing me (he mixes it in and cooks it down)
    and the fact that i had three big bowls and kept stealing bites from the pot lol
  • SadiePetreux
    Options
    oh man, I know exactly how you feel! My mom and dad ALWAYS ruin my low calorie days with a tasty dinner, and like you said, no control. especiallyyyyyy my mom's homemade pizza. I feel ya:)
  • swaby
    swaby Posts: 51
    Options
    We all have that problem I fell pretty bad today but falling is not failure . We need to consider this a life change not a diet . Just go on tommorow and forgive yourself. Good luck .
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    shrimp ettiffee, red beans and rice......man, I feel like Ive died and gone to heaven........aint nothin like good ole cookin in the south, lol

im jealous.....:)
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    agreed with above! Next time just say ok well i'll have 2 bowls then go workout hard :) no need to beat yourself up over it- that will just lead to more destruction.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    2 ways to look at it! You have someone that cooks for you, which is GREAT! I have no one that cooks much besides me. I also get all the groceries! So when I'm busy or out I have to come home hungry and eat most of whatever I can get my hands on the quickest. Even while I try to cook that healthy food! So maybe you can talk it over with him to see what he can cook that you can fit into your diet?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I workout prior to going to my parents for dinner. Then I can utilise all of this extra food straight away. I normally limit my carbs for dinner but if I'm going to my parents they will usually have a fair bit.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, GUMBO! I think I LOVE your dad. Want to trade? Mine doesn't cook.
  • last_chance
    Options
    OMG how funny! My mom made shrimp gumbo too!!! lol it is irresistible.
  • lloydrt
    Options
    sexxygewnius, does your daddy ever make gumbo with Okra? If he does, well, just think, youre eating a vegetable and thats a good thing, right?

Lol, like you hear people who swear Carrot Cake is healthy, lol....too funnny. Well geez, its got carrotts in it, so thats healthy thing right?

I think youll do OK with your dad though........its great he can cook for you, sexxy.......Happy Turkey Day, ..........Lloyd
  • nannysnowflake
    Options
    Mine do that too! Or get upset when I go to make something healthy for myself because they have something else in mind.

MMMmmm... I love gumbo :)

I think the best way to handle the situation is just to eat it in moderation or use portion control,
  • sexygenius
    Options
    well i just wenbt to the gym ( in our apartment complex) and burn off (most of) dinner so it all worked out =D
  • sexygenius
    Options
    lloydrt:

in my book if there isnt okra then its not gumbo!!! lol

and actually have a very healthy carrot cake recipe!!! i shall have to find and post it..it's daaang good

i like the way you spelled my screen name! much more original! :)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Gumbo isn't too bad especially if he didn't make a roux (ugh, the half ton of butter or whatever your family uses for that is the worst part)....reading your post has made me want some seafood gumbo! :) as for the rice, the calorie counts are almost the same for all types!
  • lloydrt
    Options
    oops, lol sexxy.....sorry, Im not the best speller...hey, keep up the good work..Its great you went and worked out afterwards...burn em up, and youll be the hit of the holidays...............Keep it up, were rooting for you......Lloyd