Breakfast or No Breakfast?

Replies

• brandeka
    brandeka Posts: 28 Member
    I was told by a fitness trainer once that you should eat within 1 hour after getting up to get your metabolism going. Otherwise, it won't kick in until quite a bit later in the day. Apparently it slows right down while sleeping and unless you kick start it, it doesn't realize it needs to do it's job.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    I was never a breakfast person, and then I read that Sumo wrestlers don't eat breakfast
    because not eating breakfast makes the body store more fat from other meals.
    So. Now I'm a breakfast person.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    yes
    like they say its the most important meal of the day

Most of the "they" who say that are trying to sell you something. Breakfast is mostly personal preference.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    I was never a breakfast person, and then I read that Sumo wrestlers don't eat breakfast
    because not eating breakfast makes the body store more fat from other meals.
    So. Now I'm a breakfast person.
    I don't eat breakfast… I am a totally fat storing machine. These ridiculous analogies are ridiculous.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I have always eaten breakfast. Still fat. :laugh:
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    The breakfast myth.

Eat when you're hungry. Really feel it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Since meal timing doesn't affect weight loss then you could eat your calories anytime you wish. There isn't any special about eating just because the sun shines. Keep within your calories limit for weight loss and meet your macros (carbs, fat, protein) for good health.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I eat breakfast because you never know where the day will take you and whether there will be diet-friendly food there. Better to start the day full so I don't eat inappropriate foods or quantities later.

but everyone's body is different.
  • KatieMcCakes
    KatieMcCakes Posts: 294 Member
    Sometimes, well most times, I am not hungry when I wake up. I want coffee, but not food. I am a calories in/calories out person, but I wonder if waiting until 11:00 or 11:30 or even later will screw with my already less than perfect metabolism. Thoughts? Thanks, Jody
    Just a heads up, I am giving this advice from a low-carb high-fat standpoint, as that's what works for me as a Type I diabetic. If you are low-fat, you won't love me for suggesting this... Seeing as you're a coffee person, give bullet-proof coffee a try: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/
    It's a good way to get your healthy fats in. On mornings that I don't wake up hungry but I know I'll be sorry for going to work on an empty stomach, I find that just the BP coffee is enough to hold me over until lunch. If I do feel like eating, sometimes I pair it up with an egg or a serving of nuts. Good luck! ;)
  • KatieMcCakes
    KatieMcCakes Posts: 294 Member
    ^Oh, and pardon the excessive marketing you'll find by following the BP coffee link... That's just the original recipe as demonstrated by the creator. It's basically 1 tbsp grass fed butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil blended with a cup of black coffee.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Here are several studies (peer-reviewed, published in respected professional journals) showing that breakfast is important, and eating a large breakfast is associated with greater weight loss.

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Here's a PDF of the whole article.
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I've never really been a breakfast person, totally happy to start eating at lunchtime, but when I read those articles I changed how I eat.
    Now breakfast is almost always a piece of whole wheat bread, a T of peanut butter, a glass of milk, a serving of carnation instant breakfast, and a banana. I usually eat within 20 min of waking up.
    It's around 600-700 cal. depending on if I want jelly with my PB, or if I put malted milk powder in with the instant breakfast, and there's just under half my calories for the day.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    I often don't eat anything until mid-afternoon.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    The people who started the breakfast rumor, are just trying to sell you boxes of cereal.

Eat when your hungry. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • funguykk
    funguykk Posts: 3 Member
    It looks like you're perfectly suited for Intermittent fasting. It's not a fad diet, neither is it a fast. Please go through leangains dot com. He's got all the scientific evidence also laid out.
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    I do drink hot lemon most morning (hot water, juice of half a lemon) and a coffee with half&half(2tbsp to 16oz coffee) or a skim milk latte pretty much every morning.

I found, way back when, if I ate breakfast because I was "supposed to", I'd seem hungrier all day long. For now, I am just trying to go with my body's cues and it seems to be working.

I appreciate your input. Have a great day!
  • jodyblanchard
    It looks like you're perfectly suited for Intermittent fasting. It's not a fad diet, neither is it a fast. Please go through leangains dot com. He's got all the scientific evidence also laid out.

I will do that right now. Thanks!
  • jodyblanchard
    The people who started the breakfast rumor, are just trying to sell you boxes of cereal.

Eat when your hungry. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.

i appreciate your input. You look great!
  • jodyblanchard
    I've never really been a breakfast person, totally happy to start eating at lunchtime, but when I read those articles I changed how I eat.
    Now breakfast is almost always a piece of whole wheat bread, a T of peanut butter, a glass of milk, a serving of carnation instant breakfast, and a banana. I usually eat within 20 min of waking up.
    It's around 600-700 cal. depending on if I want jelly with my PB, or if I put malted milk powder in with the instant breakfast, and there's just under half my calories for the day.

Are you talking about specific articles?
  • jodyblanchard

Are you talking about specific articles?

I apologize! I was reading from the bottom up. I see them now