Pre-Diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• cebenton81
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I hope you do not see this as a death sentence. I hope you see it as a wake-up call and your chance to make changes. I have talked with many people in your situation over the years, I worked for the American Diabetes Association for almost 18 years. I have seen the increase in the diagnosis of type 1 and 2 diabetes over the years, and he addition of the new category of pre-diabetes.

You are now the captain of your ship so to speak. You have control to make the changes in your lifestyle you need to make to get your blood sugar levels down to normal range. You can do it by working with your medical team. Your doctor and diabetes educators. If your doctor has not done so, he/she should send you to diabetes education where they can teach you how/what/when to eat. How to count carbs, and keep on a regimen to lower your blood sugars, and your weight. Exercise, walking is also very good in lowering your blood sugar.

One day at a time, is what it will take. Use the support of your medical team, if you need to join a support group, or other groups such as walking groups and so on to make sure you keep on track. You can do this. It will not be easy. You can also get additional information at www.diabetes.org as well as other sites. A lot of people will be telling you a lot of information, some good some bad. You can turn this around, the time is now. 50% of people diagnosed with pre-diabetes will end up with diabetes. You don't want that, so pick yourself up by the bootstraps, and work hard and you'll turn this around.

Good luck.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I hope you do not see this as a death sentence. I hope you see it as a wake-up call and your chance to make changes. I have talked with many people in your situation over the years, I worked for the American Diabetes Association for almost 18 years. I have seen the increase in the diagnosis of type 1 and 2 diabetes over the years, and he addition of the new category of pre-diabetes.

You are now the captain of your ship so to speak. You have control to make the changes in your lifestyle you need to make to get your blood sugar levels down to normal range. You can do it by working with your medical team. Your doctor and diabetes educators. If your doctor has not done so, he/she should send you to diabetes education where they can teach you how/what/when to eat. How to count carbs, and keep on a regimen to lower your blood sugars, and your weight. Exercise, walking is also very good in lowering your blood sugar.

One day at a time, is what it will take. Use the support of your medical team, if you need to join a support group, or other groups such as walking groups and so on to make sure you keep on track. You can do this. It will not be easy. You can also get additional information at www.diabetes.org as well as other sites. A lot of people will be telling you a lot of information, some good some bad. You can turn this around, the time is now. 50% of people diagnosed with pre-diabetes will end up with diabetes. You don't want that, so pick yourself up by the bootstraps, and work hard and you'll turn this around.

Good luck.

As 1st posts go, this is a great one.