Protein powder in hot coffee?

Options
Yea or nay? I don't like to eat in the A.M. but I always have coffee. I ordered 1lb of the ON gold standard double chocolate to try and it would be really ideal if I could just mix it into my coffee.

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yea or nay? I don't like to eat in the A.M. but I always have coffee. I ordered 1lb of the ON gold standard double chocolate to try and it would be really ideal if I could just mix it into my coffee.
    Not familiar with that particular brand; many protein powders seem to denature and become less than ideal in hot beverages.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I do! I mix Cinnamon Swirl protein powder with almond milk until all the clumps are gone and then add it to my coffee. I've tried adding it directly to the coffee but it doesn't mix well. You'll find what works for you. Enjoy your mocha!
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What Jbharwood said. Dissolve your powder in a cold liquid first and then add to hot coffee for maximum, non-clumpy enjoyment.

Edited to add that I do this on occasion when I'm running late for work and I don't have time to drink each separately. It's not ideal but it is a big time saver.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ohhh great idea!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I do! I mix Cinnamon Swirl protein powder with almond milk until all the clumps are gone and then add it to my coffee. I've tried adding it directly to the coffee but it doesn't mix well. You'll find what works for you. Enjoy your mocha!

Awesome! I add some half&half and/or skim milk to my coffee anyway, so that sounds great!

Thank you.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I bought ON but haven't used it yet. You can add it to coffee, but that doesn't mean it'll taste good, lol. Best thing, jump in feet first. Try it one time & if you don't like it, don't do it again. I have Species Isolyze and Syntha 6. I mix them together and the syntha 6 makes the Isolyze taste better. Why mix? Syntha 6 tastes better but Isolyze has more protein for less cals. If you try it & don't like it then save your protein powder for later in the day.
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hadn't thought of this! Great idea...

Btw, where are you getting cinnamon swirl protein powder, because that sounds awesome!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Have done it. Didn't like it. Prefer to have protein with milk and drink a nice tasting cup of coffee :smile:
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I dump a scoop of chocolate protein powder into my last cup of coffee in the morning, and it is amaaaaaazing. Tastes like hot chocolate! (weird, but so much better than those nasty protein bars I bought before *shudder*)

I stir it well and then drink it with a straw, and don't have a problem with it being lumpy. :flowerforyou:
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I let the coffee cool a little then put protein powder and coffee in a blender.. makes it frothy and smooth..
  • Dean649
    Dean649 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, why not. I do not see it hurting anything or making the protein any less effective.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Chocolate protein powder in my caramel coffee yummmm. I tend to use either Pure Protein or Super Advanced both are whey based and I haven't had any trouble mixing them into my hot coffee.
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's my brand of protein powder that is the issue. I tried this last week, and it was horrible! Super lumpy and chewy and ugh. Same when I tried adding it to my oatmeal. Which was a shame cause both things sounded so yummy!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's excellent in coffee IMO. I drink it daily.

As previously posted, mix whey in milk/other cool liquid first, then use that like creamer.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've done it with GNC brand, you cant put an entire scoop in though. 1/3 a scoop works without it getting weird.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times, using vanilla protein powder.

It actually tastes pretty damn good, and the powder was sweet enough that there was no need for sugar.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I put white chocolate flavored protein powder and white chocolate flavored sugar free toriani syrup in hot earl grey tea - tastes like white chocolate cocoa.

I have also used caramel SF syrup with Caramel Toffee Fudge flavored protein powder and hot tea - awesome :)

Depends on the powder whether you have to mix it with water/milk first. I just stir a long time and clumps go away fine without it
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why? If you're that low on Protein that you need to resort to ruining a perfectly good cup of coffee I'd take a good look at the rest of your diet
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning! My go-to is a tablespoon of coconut oil, scoop of isopure vanilla protein powder, two cups of coffee, and some cinnamon. GREAT for your metabolism, high in protein, almost no carbs, and it tastes like something fancy from Starbucks
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Why? If you're that low on Protein that you need to resort to ruining a perfectly good cup of coffee I'd take a good look at the rest of your diet
    QFT