Cola Cravings

Options
I haven't drank a soda (Cola) in over three months. But am craving one like crazy today. I had a moderate amount of physical outdoor activity today. I don't want to start drinking soda again, but am wondering if the craving could be caused by low blood sugar or something similar.

What do others do when these type of cravings hit?

Replies

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was a huge soda drinker.... you gave it up for so long, stay strong! What helped me was to find a drink that was better for me but also yummy. Now I drink raspberry tea snapple... it took a lot of getting used to.. also researching the effects that sodas have on the body gave me a few legit reasons to continue to stay away from it. Good luck!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Have a soda, but control yourself and don't overdo it.

I used to be addicted to Coca Cola. I'd drink a liter or more a day. I had to slowly wean off it. Now I only have it once a week (with my weekly Popeye's meal).

The key is moderation.

Oh and a good trick I use is to fill the cup all the way up to the top with ice, then fill it with Coke. That's all I'll have. Self control. No refills.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm with you; almost 3 months. Can I just say Seltzer water! I used to have a coke every day when I got off work. Now I have a seltzer (still get that fizz).
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a sip every once in a while, but that's about it. I may have one can during a special occasion, but that's about it. Otherwise, I just stay away.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    18 months without caffeine and I still get cravings now and then. Usually it's situational, such as I used to buy a bottle of coke when I went to the swimming pool, and of course what happens now when I go swimming? Cravings. Just hang in there. I have health problems that mean I get really tired the next day after having caffeine, it feels so good to not have that monkey on my back. Yes, I was addicted, I'd also binge drink Coke (up to 2L a day, on occasion).
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day three no soda, and I still have the craving. I find it helps to drink other things when I am craving it. Water, milk, soy milk, whatever you like. I try to distract myself too. If I'm craving a soda, I try to just drink something else.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Soda, or Diet Soda. If you want one have one. If it is regular then log it and move on. If it is diet, then log it if you want to(I don't log 0 calorie things).
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advise! I will learn more about how soda effects the body, try seltzer water, and try to find an alternative drink.

If I drink one, I am afraid that I will go back to binge drinking them. In the past I easily drank 5-7 sodas a day instead of water.

(BTW - made it through yesterday without drinking a cola.) :bigsmile: