Shin Splints?

Options
Hello hello hello

Beginning runner here so bare with me.

In the past week and a half Ive picked up running. Its been going pretty great. My first time I could go .88 before needing to stop and then I could go somewhere between there and a mile for awhile but it was a struggle (my lungs/breathing was unbearable) but today I was able to go 1.24 EASILY! I could've gone further, except...

my shins/calves. A few of the last time Ive felt slight pain but today it was worse. Not shooting pain, but almost a throbbing feeling that after awhile get tight and stronger throbs. So I stopped.

Are these shin splints? I have running shoes (good ones but maybe I should get inserts?) and I stretch my ankles, calves and quads before I run. Will this keep hurting (and get worse) or will it go away? What can I do to stop it?

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    good ol shin splints...yea when I start getting them the first thing I look at is my shoes. go to a running store and they will fit you with shoes after watching you run they will look at the way your foot falls, the way you supinate and all these other things and get you the right shoe. other then that yea once your legs get stronger it will be less of an issue. in the mean time remember that not all cardio is high impact. save those knees and ankles and hit the pool or bike or my favorite the Jacobs ladder if your gym has one.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like shin splints to me. I had them once and almost fell right over the pain was so sharp, intense and specifically located.

It sounds like one of two things to me (or maybe a combination of both):

-If you lift your big toe with each step, and this is more walking or running than you normally cover, you may just be straining the muscle on the front of your shin. I have this bad habit and every time I dramatically increase distance, I get an achy front-of-shin the next day or two.

-You may not have built up the muscle to adequately absorb the shock of running to your lower body yet. This takes some time!

I would build in some rest days, try to run on a softer surface (rubberized track, grass, dirt or asphalt--concrete is the WORST), and do your stretching AFTER the run, not before it. Stretching cold muscles is a no-no. You want to stretch when the muscles are warmed up.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like shin splints to me. I had them once and almost fell right over the pain was so sharp, intense and specifically located.

It sounds like one of two things to me (or maybe a combination of both):

-If you lift your big toe with each step, and this is more walking or running than you normally cover, you may just be straining the muscle on the front of your shin. I have this bad habit and every time I dramatically increase distance, I get an achy front-of-shin the next day or two.

-You may not have built up the muscle to adequately absorb the shock of running to your lower body yet. This takes some time!

I would build in some rest days, try to run on a softer surface (rubberized track, grass, dirt or asphalt--concrete is the WORST), and do your stretching AFTER the run, not before it. Stretching cold muscles is a no-no. You want to stretch when the muscles are warmed up.

second
  • cnekniher
    cnekniher Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thanks for your help!

I read somewhere that tension in the shin muscle is often mis-diagnosed as shin splints, when really its a tendinitis-like issue. I watched some videos on massaging the shin muscle and I feel loads better already! Hopefully tomorrows run will be even better and pain free!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I realize you're excited, but seriously--as a new runner you want to have some rest days. Every other day is a good idea so that you don't get an overuse injury. I know, it sounds like I'm raining on your parade, but if you do get shin splints or a stress fracture (both of which are alarmingly common in brand new runners) you'll be sidelined for about 6 weeks. :sad:

Mix in some low-impact exercise on your non-running days and you'll probably be a lot happier and healthier. :wink:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I just want to reinforce every second day running when you are first starting. Overuse injuries are most common when newbies are trying to do too much too fast. This includes building up speed and distance too quickly. You may feel like you can do more, but your body will tell you otherwise if you try to push it. I believe the general consensus is only build by 10% each week, on either distance or pace, but not both. I will defer to anyone with more experience who would know this better.

Edited for spelling.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes it sounds like shin splints. I don't know what you mean by good shoes? Hopefully you picked them up at a running store where a salesman watches you walk barefoot to see if you have any pronation problems before you bought them? Running shoes are very specific to your foot. Splints say you're hitting the ground hard.

What type of surface are you running on? Concrete is the hardest, dirt is better. When you've answered these questions head to the running store. You can buy those cushy, take out the impact inserts, but you're going to have to take a couple of weeks off before running again so the splint heals.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    To me, from experience, it sounds like shin splints. They're the thing I hate most about running (that and the fact that I'm still not all that great at it...) because they can pretty much crush any progress that you might have made if they go untreated. I'm probably due for a new pair of runners, but that's not in the budget right now.

I've found that ice helps with the pain and have read that doing toe-raises helps to build up the muscle on the front of your leg, even when you're not experiencing symptoms. Give it a shot!
  • mamaof2mi
    mamaof2mi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to running/ jogging. Been using the runkeeper app. It has different training programs for beginner's. My son and I are doing the begginer 5k. I find it very helpful. Plus it connects to myfitnesspal and automatically posts how long I exercised and how many calories I burned ect. Also it's free.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a foam roller. It will be the one of the best investments you make, right up there with a good pair of running shoes/socks. Learn to massage every part of your leg with it (including the ones along your shins). Youtube has plenty of instruction videos.

Also, alphabet toes (once or twice a day). You can do this sitting, standing, or lying down as long as your feet are free to spell. Keep your knees steady and hinge at the ankle to spell each letter of the alphabet with your toes. I'll do it during glute stretches because my glutes need extra stretching and I enjoy double-tasking.

In any case, take it easy, make sure your feet aren't slapping the ground when you run (think falling rather than pounding). Programs like Couch 2 5k are great in making sure you don't build up too much too fast. Runkeeper also has some good ones, pick one that resonates with you.

I second the rest days. Wait until you have some solid miles under your belt before attempting to run consecutive days and even then, build up the mileage slowly.

P.S. If they are shin splints, you need to lay off the running until they heal up. You'll know if they are, you wont be able to run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    my shins/calves. A few of the last time Ive felt slight pain but today it was worse. Not shooting pain, but almost a throbbing feeling that after awhile get tight and stronger throbs. So I stopped.

Are these shin splints? I have running shoes (good ones but maybe I should get inserts?) and I stretch my ankles, calves and quads before I run. Will this keep hurting (and get worse) or will it go away? What can I do to stop it?

It doesn't sound like shin splints, it sounds more like a bit of adaptation, however it may be a precursor to shin splints if you don't address it.

A number of observations:

If you're going to take the approach of pushing further each time then limit your increases to 10% or less of your current distance. That's a reasonable additional burden without overdoing it. Going too far, too quickly, is the most common source of injury for new runners. An alternative would be to use a structured run/ walk programme of intervals so that you're out for around 40 minutes and that'll condition you to a 30 minute continuous run fairly quickly. That's commonly called Couch to 5K, based on a plan developed by coolrunning.

You say you have good shoes, but what are you basing that on? It's generally recommended that you have shoes appropriate to your gait, depending on whether you over-pronate, under-pronate or are a neutral runner. Best to be fitted at a running shop, with many offering a returns policy if the shoe isn't correct for you.

Concentrate on your form. What I found as the easiest way to develop that was to consciously take a very short pace, landing my foot just in front of my main body mass. That causes me to land on the mid-foot which puts a lot less stress on the lower leg.

I'd also caution against stretching before a run. Stretching on cold muscles isn't going to help and may lead to greater injury risk. Always stretch out after a run, as that has much more enduring effect on your flexibility over time. I normally start with calf, hamstring, quad, shin,lower back, upper legs, upper back, arms.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am a fairly new runner also. I agree with several others - rest days are very important. Every other day is a good rule. The foam rollers do work great. I would also suggest you stretch after you run - not before. Just walk a bit prior to running.