How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I'm new to this and want to know what others do...

I've been weighing in once a week. Is that about right?

Thx,

JC

Replies

• YukiAsuna
    YukiAsuna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's fine. Just make sure you do it at the same time of day as well. So if you weigh in on Monday mornings make sure you make your weekly weigh in on Monday mornings only. Weight can fluctuate throughout the week from 3-5lbs or sometimes even higher/lower weights. It can make you absolutely nuts if you weigh in every single day and you can become unhealthily obsessed with the scale. I also do measurements so that when the scale doesn't budge I have another weight of measuring my progress and having non scale victories.
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I do it daily. I think it's fine since I don't freak out at the daily fluctuations,
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I do it daily. I think it's fine since I don't freak out at the daily fluctuations,

This.
    There are a lot of opinions on this ranging from never to multiple times a day. The important thing is to find out what works for you. If you get too hung up on that number then even once a week maybe too frequent (depending on how much you have to lose and slowly you want to do it). But on the other hand you maybe a numbers geek (like me) and have little emotional investment attached to them, in which case you could probably handle more frequently.

At the end of the day as long as your eating right* you will lose weight, then the number on the scale is irrelevant as you will reach your target eventually. Don't forget all the other non-scale-victories and ways to measure success (photos, body measurements etc).

*disclaimer- by right I mean in order to successfully create a deficit. I am not a believer of right and wrong foods or eating methods.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too :smile:
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice or once a week and I never weigh the week before the TOM or during cos that never ends up being a good idea
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do once a week I do not like to rely on the scale and think about the numbers, I find that feeling healthier and looking better to be a better motivation than a number dropping on the scale
  • Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and chart it on weightgrapher.com. I like it because it's cool to see the trend line going down.

I only input my weight on MFP on Fridays though...
  • sreejithbabu
    sreejithbabu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do it daily in the morning after workout. I make sure that I follow that habit so that my comparison of weights will be correct.
  • acookieclicker
    Options
    I weigh daily just to be able to track my monthly fluctuations because of shark week. It's frustrating to be bloated for a week and have tighter pants than usual. Weighing everyday and plotting it in excel lets me see the overall trendline, and eases the frustration.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Wednesday morning after waking and going tinkle and I am nekkid. I picked Wednesday bc I cheat a lot on weekends and Monday and Tuesday are my best days for diet and exercise.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Every day and watch graphs for trends.
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Every day...but I would only do this if you dont get anxious over the daily flux of water weight ect.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Every day crew checking in. I weigh daily but pay no attention to day to day weight fluctuations. I average my weekly weight and compare the averages to each other. It give a much more accurate picture of what your weight is actually doing.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily and record only the losses. I expect fluctuation, they don't bother me. I've thought about tracking it everyday to see how it would look on a graph, I'm just too lazy
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It really depends.

I weigh everyday - so I can see the trend. But I also know that the scale reading will vary from day to day and not always downward. It can be up 2 pounds (or more) from various factors. Like sodium, a poor night's sleep, hormones/TOM and so forth. That doesn't bother me. I know that even if the # seems to stall out - as it does for each of us from time to time - to keep going and trust in the process. Eventually, whether its a few days or a few weeks or even more, eventually the scale responds.

My scale syncs wirelessly to my Fitbit & MFP accounts. so I don't have to log anything.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and want to know what others do...

I've been weighing in once a week. Is that about right?

Thx,

JC

I weigh in daily. It's really a personal preference though. Weighing daily generally looks like this:
    29l0bqr.jpg
    (chart I made of my own weigh-ins last year b4 pregnancy)

If fluctuations bother you than you should probably weigh in once a week or less.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and advice. I admire those who can weigh in daily without anxiety...I tend to fixate on the numbers and get worried about fluctuations, so will stick to once a week...

I also like the idea of an alternate metric, like body measurements...

Thanks again for all the great info :-)

JC
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Daily. Once a week was way worse for me. What if you weigh yourself on the day you're retaining water, even though you were 1 pound lighter the day before? It's worse because then you feel that you've 'wasted a week', instead of just one day.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree with ^ I weigh every morning -first thing I do. (and usually a few times during the day).. I like to see my daily trends.

Good luck, and btw.. measurements can be extremely de-motivating. Use your clothes as a judge, and weight yourself as you feel works best.

Just kinda sucks when you go a whole week and realize your weight did not change, and since you were not checking, you could not adjust. Hell, what do I know