Help!!! Cutting weight for a female-advice

Options
I am doing a competition with friends of who can lose the most weight during a 6 week exercising routine and healthy eating. We have all put money in and whoever loses the most wins the money. The women I am competing with are much heavier then me. They have continually made comments saying there is no way I could win , I should take my money out. While I don't mind they say this I am just like them trying to shed excess weight and have a good 20 pounds I could lose.

So I figured the best way to prove I am worthy to compete is to win. And I am thinking of doing a weight cut before I weigh in. Have any women done this? I know people may think I am going to the extreme to win but I am a very competitive person and the money is also encouraging.

Anyone have advice on how to cut weight before I weigh in?

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Why don't you 'win the competition' by doing it slowly and properly and ending up fit and hot while they all pile the pounds back on.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

For what? Some $$

Lucky you have stumbled upon the greatest forum for getting the body of your dreams.

I got to where I am by cutting at about a pound a MONTH and strength training.

6 weeks of low calories and a water cut at the end might work for people with lots and lots of fat to lose.

For you, you're going to suffer more lean mass loss than them.

Think of the long term.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you actually wanna win yall should do it by measurements instead of weight loss. You can start lifting heavy and possibly lose more inches than them, but if they're significantly heavier than you, you have no shot. (Sorry to tell ya)... Get into a healthy routine and work your *kitten* off not only in the gym, but the kitchen too. Good luck!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You should even up the playing field by seeing who can lose the biggest % of body weight :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You should even up the playing field by seeing who can lose the biggest % of body weight :-)

exactly this... that way its fair!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Why don't you 'win the competition' by doing it slowly and properly and ending up fit and hot while they all pile the pounds back on.
    Exactly! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be trying to lose weight as fast as people who have a lot to lose....... the less you have to lose the greater the risk that you'll lose lean body mass along with the fat if you lose too fast.... if you only have 20lb to lose, you need to take weight loss slowly, probably no more than 1lb a week. Also, include some kind of strength training and make sure you're eating enough protein.

These kinds of competitions are not that great - they encourage short term fixes and trying to lose weight too quickly, which stores up problems for the future and makes it harder to maintain long term.

What most people really want when it comes down to it, is not so much to lose weight quickly, but to stay there for life when you get there. Long term maintenance should be the most important goal. So it really is better to do things the slower but healthier way - and aim to stay there for life.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Did you have your pre-weigh in yet? Make sure no one lines their pockets with rocks. lol :laugh: Good luck! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

For what? Some $$

Lucky you have stumbled upon the greatest forum for getting the body of your dreams.

I got to where I am by cutting at about a pound a MONTH and strength training.

6 weeks of low calories and a water cut at the end might work for people with lots and lots of fat to lose.

For you, you're going to suffer more lean mass loss than them.

Think of the long term.

This.

BUT, if you're determined to take part DON'T lose before the weigh-in. you'd do better stuffing yourself and getting a few water pounds so you can even the playing field. If the others are more overweight than you then they're going to lose faster.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I completely agree. It's much easier to lose fast when you have a lot to go.

But I have a different suggestion. First competition: biggest loser.

Then do it double or nothing and have the person who has MAINTAINED their loss over 6 months the best gets the whole pot. It's a lot easier to lose and regain than to lose and stick it there. I think you've got the advantage in the second competition.